Any Teachers (any level & especially online) in the House?

Options

Replies

• latoyaaaa
    latoyaaaa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Aspiring maths and business studies teacher here :)
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I investigate allegations of sexual harassment and discrimination brought by students against teachers... does that count? Prolly not [sic]. :tongue:
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    I teach middle school LAP reading (learning assistance program for struggling students). Wanted to say hi but don't want to talk about school until at least August 1!
    Understood! I forget about the summer thing because the semesters run all year online. My "summer" will most likely be the January/February term. It will be nice to decompress after the holidays.
  • Kayla_Ann_20
    Options
    I am NOT a teacher but I would love to hear some funny or embarrassing stories from days in the classroom! :) Please make my night.
  • sarahcate1
    sarahcate1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a communication professor and like many of the above, I teach both online and face-to-face. :happy:
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was a preschool teacher for years and then a preschool director. Loved it loved it loved it!! Now I am homeschooling my 2 girls. My oldest is special ed and it just seemed logical in her situation for me to teach her. I love every second of it!

Love seeing all the special ed teachers on here. You guys are the greatest!
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Physiology teacher here, undergraduate. :)
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a teacher but I would love to hear some funny or embarrassing stories from days in the classroom! :) Please make my night.

While subbing in a second grade classroom:

Student: Ms G, my friend said we come from eggs
    Me: Well, kinda, but you should talk to your mom and dad about that
    Other student: WHAT? I AIN'T NO CHICKEN!
  • Glanecia
    Glanecia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow! There are a lot of teachers here. I'm currently teaching preschool (Head Start). I've taught other grades (certified to teach K-8), but love this job the most so far (even though the pay is less, but there's a tiny raise coming for those of us with Master degrees, yay!).
  • carhughes
    carhughes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great to see all these educators on board!!!!!:smile:

I taught Spanish in high school and middle school for 19 years. In 2011 I went to school to be a school counselor and last year was my first year as a school counselor. I work in a middle school.:happy:

I am looking forward to my 2nd year working as a school counselor!!!! I love working with kids!:heart::heart:
  • allstatemom
    allstatemom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am a high school Geometry teacher. My 18th year begins on August 18.
  • detl1
    detl1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am starting my second year as Middle School Health & PE Teacher... High School Basketball and Track Coach. Retired from the Air Force last year (26 year veteran) and joined Troops to Teachers program...
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Retired from academia. Formerly taught undergraduate economics, finance, and political science. Taught online and classroom, but I found cheating was rampant in the online classes.
  • laurennichole529
    laurennichole529 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start my 3rd year as a high school math teacher. Great to meet all you fellow educators!

I started my weight loss journey just before school let out for the summer - I am quite nervous about keeping up with my exercise and healthy eating habits (I'm a stress eater) when the school year begins. Any tips from veterans out there?
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Grade one. I teach in Canada and I'm fairly confident I won't be teaching my class via 'the net' any time soon.
    However, I have set up a home reading club for each of my students that I can monitor and correspond with.
    Cheers to those that are enjoying their summer days off in the sun!
  • edrobles99
    edrobles99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm a Technology teacher here in Puerto Rico, I teach Programming, IT and Robotics. Greetings to you all my fellow teachers, I'm glad that we are all a great team here!
  • Glanecia
    Glanecia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start my 3rd year as a high school math teacher. Great to meet all you fellow educators!

I started my weight loss journey just before school let out for the summer - I am quite nervous about keeping up with my exercise and healthy eating habits (I'm a stress eater) when the school year begins. Any tips from veterans out there?

That's exactly what I blogged about today. I'm worried too. When I started this job, the weight just piled on. It's easier to maintain a healthy weight when there's more free time and less stress. If you're like me, it's going to be difficult, but maybe if we're both determined, we'll manage.

I know where I went wrong was skipping lunch (because there's only so long for lunch, and a lot to prepare for for class!) and then binge eating at the end of the day. So, I'm going to have to pack properly portioned meals, make myself eat breakfast as I run out the door (or actually get up early enough to sit down lol), and just make that a priority. Maybe you can do the same thing.
  • PhitnessWorks
    Options
    I work in a daycare as an infant teacher. Also I am taking online undergraduate course with SFASU in Child Development and Family Living upon completion in Spring 2015 I plan to teach Pre-K or Kindergarden.
  • Shortsbysummer
    Shortsbysummer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am going into my 4th year of teaching. Next year I'm moving from teaching Grade 1 French Immersion to K-4 Music and reading intervention. I've gained 50-lbs since starting my education degree and beginning teaching, and I was already 30-lbs over weight! I'm on my feet all day, but at night I'm sitting as I plan lessons, mark, etc. I'm also a single parent of a 13 and 10 year old, with a busy evening extra-curricular schedule. There is something to go to nearly every night, so I'm the chauffeur. We live in the north and there is snow on the ground from October to April/May so exercise has to be inside, but we have a great community recreation center, so I have no excuses! Cooking sucks, we are all 3 of us fussy vegetarians, meal time is difficult. I tend to stay up too late working or watching TV/reading, and if I'm up until 2:00 am it's hard to get up at 5:30 am to exercise. My goal this school year is to lose 80-lbs, and find some work-home balance, not stay at school past 4:30 p.m, be in bed by 10pm and exercise daily, eat at home and serve all meals family-style, involving my kids in the prep. My job has taken oven my life, and my health and my relationship with my kids is suffering. I also tend to take on too much. I'm working on my Masters in Music Education online, I do vocal coaching and teach private voice lessons, and I'm going to be in a community theatre production of Les Miserables in the spring. I refuse to be on that stage fat! My mantra is Fit for 40, which is my milestone birthday next summer. I have my work cut out for me!
  • monkeygirl08
    monkeygirl08 Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I teach Head Start. 3-5 year olds. Boy do I wish I had their energy sometimes!!