The Boot Gap

Options
kellyskitties
kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
I've tended to downplay my success, believing that it's not that much. Always believing, just a little bit, that I'm kidding myself. It isn't making that much difference. I've not beaten myself up and I've not pushed myself hard, so I can't have results. I've not gone full bore, set loads of goals and joined diet alliances among my friends. I don't deprive myself so this can't work... right?

I know, I've lost 30 pounds - the scale says so. But that's not really much (or so I tell myself). I have a long way to go still, so it can't mean much. I've become much more active - even jogging sometimes. But I'm slow and can't jog very fast and my friends all still walk a mile much faster than I do. So it can't mean much.

Then a few days ago I realized my legs looked odd to me. They looked thinner... thinner? Nah, it's just my mind playing tricks on me. I'm deluding myself. I decided on a test. Last year I had these red rain boots - they were so tight on my calves that I thought before I wore them again I should split the tops. I dug them out and slipped them on.

I was stunned - there's a gap between the boot and my leg so big I can put my whole hand in the gap. MY WHOLE HAND. So, I wanted to share that with you. The scale isn't showing major losses, not what I consider major. My effort is haphazard but overall maintainable. My exercise isn't athletic level, but I go often. I still have good results. WOW. Anyway - the newly discovered gap picture:

4d9ffd99d3b57ae992c5804e201c5efbab7b.jpg

Replies

• firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    That's great! Well done :) It's always nice finding that you fit back into something that was previously too tight.
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Great job! Aren't you glad you didn't cut them?!
  • MTBr0x
    MTBr0x Posts: 5
    Options
    Way to go! 30# really does make a difference. It's often hard to really see your own progress until a too-small pair of jeans fits again or a friend you haven't seen in a while remarks, "you've lost weight!"

Again, great job!
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you found something to happy about! You journey sounds a lot like mine, like you, I often falter and think I should be working harder. Good job
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart:
    Keep being awesome! Slow progress is so much better than none
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Yay for boot gap!!! Congratulations! :drinker:
  • TheProudDadLife
    TheProudDadLife Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    High 5!
  • salobrau
    salobrau Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Boot gap beats a thigh gap!
  • centaurizoe
    centaurizoe Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Much better than a thigh gap.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    congratulations that's awesome keep it up
  • rhina23
    rhina23 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep it up!
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    awesome!!!!
  • J3nnyV
    J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Great job!! You're doing awesome!
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    That is great! Be proud of your boot gap!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Wow..what a cool story. Not the usual fodder for these forum and totally unexpected. I loved it. Made my day actually. So happy for you! Not easy to lose inches in that notoriously 'trouble' area, so imagine the gaps you would find all over your body?
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had no idea what boot gap would be. I wasn't entirely sure I should click to see. That wasn't so bad. Kind of a fun way to notice progress! Yay you!
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    That's great!

We women are our worst enemy! I do the same thing to myself - it's only 40 lbs, I'm not thin, blah blah blah...
    I love the song by Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (to wear suncscreen) - an old one but man the message is fabulous... part of it - never look at beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly... so true!

Keep on going! and don't believe those negative messages your brain has been brainwashed into believing =)
  • cafeduus
    cafeduus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's the little things that makes everything AWESOME!!!!

You're doing great, and your red boots are proof!!!!!!:smile:
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    well done. that is the best ways to see all your hard work (even if it did not feel very hard at all!).
  • BEVERLYSTEEN
    BEVERLYSTEEN Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    From someone who also has big legs I totally get it! Nice to see a new success story that we have not seen before.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!