Fitbit

Hi All,
I am currently in the market for a device like a fitbit.. I am just overwhelmed by all of the options and I don't necessarily believe amazon reviews. I am currently thinking of a Fitbit flex, Fitbit One, or Jawbone UP. Can I please give options/reviews/comparisons? I'd greatly appreciate it :)

Replies

• ingasmile2
    ingasmile2 Posts: 43 Member
    I have used a Fitbit device for over 3 years also have the Aria scale to go with it! Love them. I used to have the Fitbit One (I think) it clasped onto my bra. I went through 2 of those in 2 years due to the plastic weakening and breaking due to taking it off and on the bra. Fitbit replaced because it was less than a year old at the time. But then the Flex came out and I had to have it. I love it! Can get wet, wear it to the pool, in the shower, etc. I like to count all my steps! haha

It reminds me to get my rear in gear on slow days. Plus, you can add friends and kind of compete with each other! I love to be at the top of the list in steps taken.

I also love that it Sync's with MFP. No complaints really! I just recently bought some off brand bands that are in different colors off of Ebay and love them also.

I have never had any problems with the bands popping off or anything but I have worn the bands out. They have formed places where the band started to come apart from popping the little receiver in and out. I am sure due to water, sweat, dirt, etc.

Inga
  • I have tried both the Fitbit and the Jawbone and didn't find either of them to be great...the best one I've tried for day-to-day activity tracking/reminders to get up and walk, etc. is the Polar Loop. The Loop is completely waterproof, so you can take it anywhere with no worries (pool, shower, etc.) whereas a lot of others are just water resistant, and it has information on the band so you can track your activity all day. Plus i really like the design (it looks kind of like the Nike Fit Band), so that is a plus!

But there are a few things that are really different about the Loop that I just love:

1. It tracks your activity calorie burn and your resting calorie burn. This helps you understand what your body has burned all day so that you can set an accurate calorie intake goal.

2. It tells you after an hour that you need to get up and walk because you've been inactive, but it also shows you in 15-minute increments how long you've been sitting so you don't just see that hour after an hour has already gone

3. When you are going for a step goal or a calorie-burn goal in a day, at the end of the day you can scroll on your band to Activity, see how much of your goal is left to complete AND it then gives you several options for completing the goal! So, say at the end of the day I still have 200 calories to go...it will give me 3 options for what I can do to burn those last calories. (Like, play basketball 20 minutes, walk 30 minutes or gentle 25 minute swim.) I find this especially helpful.

Good Luck!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    The Polar Gold sounds better than the Fitbit flex, which I have. Flex always reports 0 because I am alrady at an active level, but reminders and such would be helpful.
  • nusiax
    nusiax Posts: 39 Member
    I was asking the same questions you are asking about a year ago. I looked at the Jawbone, Nike Fuel Band and several others.

I choose the Fitbit Flex. Reason, I swim and aqua jjog a great deal. The Fitbit Flex was the only waterproof in the bunch.

I know it is not the most accurate. But I have found some tricks.

I put it is the pocket of my swim trunks facing inside my let while swimming, get a pretty accurate readng. I wear on my wrist daily and nightly.

And when biking, I put the band around my ankle or attach to my shoe, another pretty accurate reading.

I like the sleep mood, as it tells my how many times I get up in the night and how much a toss and turn or restless is how it puts it. Nice to know.

But when I aqua jog, it teels me that I have gone 4 to 5 KM in steps which should be about right when counting the steps and putting them in a running calculator.

I like it, for me.

But the down side, it can only be synced with certain devices. Most new mobile phones work, Apple and Android. Must have the latest Bluetooth. Or you have to use the little Dongle that was included with mine. I have a windows phone for daily use, and it will not sync to that device. But my old Samsung and a friends iPhone synced perfectly.

But the choice is always what is best for your.
  • arogers0541
    arogers0541 Posts: 98 Member
    I have the Fitbit Flex as well. It is not 100% accurate, but it is probably the closest thing I have used. I don't really pay attention to the calorie function on the Fitbit (that is what I have MFP for), but I do use it to track my steps per day. It has been a great tool for me in getting started. Just a reminder to be a little more active each day.

I also like the sleep tracker function. I can tell how much sleep I am getting as well as if it was "restless" sleep or not.

I use the app on my phone which syncs up to your Bluetooth function on your phone. Never had any problems or glitches from the app. Its pretty easy to use.
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    I have a Flex and I absolutely love it- my weight loss has absolutely improved ever since I got it. I'm able to see my calorie expenditure differ every day and alter my eating habits to help. I also try harder every day to meet my 10k step goal, and find myself walking around more at work, taking walks, etc. It also lets me see my sleeping habits. As someone with PTSD who has night terrors, I like seeing when I get up and how often.

I use the app on my phone and computer, and have it synced to MFP. I use MFP for food and logging exercise, and have FitBit change my calorie goal to fit my level of activity.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 970 Member
    I went through 4 fitbits (3 zips and one force) before switching to Garmin. They have a Vivofit which syncs with MFP. I haven't used it, I have the Forerunner 15.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    I have a Flex and absolutely love it. The only time I ever take it off is to charge it usually takes less than an hour if I've let it completely die. I love that it syncs with MFP and the only things I have to keep track of are stationary activities.