how do you?

Options
i think im starting to come down with a cold...how do ya'll excersize so you dont get off schedule with a cold...im doing good and dont wanna slow down now because of a stupid cold!

Replies

• CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Let me know if you find out. I tend to lay off when I get sick, but I suppose it depends on how bad it is. If you just have the sniffles, that's fine, but the aches and chills should put you on the couch.

--Carter
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I continue to exercise...if I need to drop my intensity a little or do something not so vigorous than I do that but I still keep moving. Now if you get real sick that's a different story, but a cold I can work through.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I know it sucks, but you do need to slow down a bit. Listen to your body, and if you're tired, don't push yourself. If you're not feeling fatigued, you can go ahead and exercise, just maybe don't push yourself as far as you might normally do. But if you're feeling tired, slow down. Do some stretches and light cardio, whatever you're up to without wearing yourself out. If you overexert yourself, you won't be able to get over the cold and you'll end up feeling worse in the long run. A couple of days of rest due to illness isn't going to derail you. Drink lots of fluids, rest when you can, and go to bed early. Feel better soon!
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The general rule is if it's above the neck, don't change your routine. It might be inconvenient, but keep at it. If it's below the neck, you need to rest.

Usually a cold is nothing more then an annoyance. But make sure you're fueling your body with good food and enough calories.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I generally wouldn't stop exercising for a cold. If it's a really bad cold, maybe you could lower the intensity of whatever you're used to doing. Walking is a good low-impact exercise. Weight lifting, too, with moderate effort using slow, controlled movements.
    As always, pilates and yoga are good restorative exercises (although I can't imagine downward dog being comfortable with a stuffy nose!).
    Get well soon!
  • erinjoy002
    erinjoy002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was sick for 3 days last week... and I let my body rest. I didn't get up from the bed/couch and I slept almost the full 3 days. I ate lots of soup and drank lots of liquid. on the 3rd day my fever finally broke and the next morning I walked/slow jogged a mile, 2 days later and i am back to my normal workout routine and I feel great!
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    I was told that if your symptoms are from the shoulders up then its ok to continue to work out, if your symptoms are below youre shoulders take a break.
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    :happy: okay thanks all for all the good advice....ive never heard that before (about above/below the neck)...yeah it seems like it may be a head cold coming...been sneezing kinda stuffy and icky throat, but thats it...no symptoms in the chest....so okay just work thru it right?...makes drinkin water kinda hard...but i will do it...it always threw me off before b/c i thought you were supposed to rest your body when sick....good to hear tho, cuz i dont wanna get off track...thanks again :happy: