Tell me about gyms.

Options
2»

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest. You are worrying about it too much.

Some people change into gym clothes from work clothes in the locker room...some people leave in their sweaty clothes. You can basically do whatever you want. Not many people will notice, and even less people will care.

Plenty of people take breaks from working out as needed. There are a couple of very large people at my gym. Yeah of course, I have noticed them; but I have noticed other people too. I'm too busy staring at myself (checking my own form) to spend time watching anyone else. Ok that isn't entirely true; sometimes, I watch a hot guy do lunges. Then, I get back to whatever I am doing.

Sign-up, take the tour, and take advantage of any intro sessions offered.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Honestly, yes, people stare. Although, they are likely checking out the exercises you are doing or looking at your form in order to improve their own (I do this at times).

I think "big" people at the gym are no different than "small" people at the gym. I give a lot of credit to individuals at the gym who are larger. Who cares if you aren't as fit as another person. The way I see it… you are beating everyone who is sitting their *kitten* on the couch, eating potato chips. Remember- going to the gym can be nerve-wrecking for ANYONE- big or small. Take 10 deep breaths before walking in and remind yourself why you are there- FOR YOU.

Most gyms have changing rooms and showers. I go to the Y and they have changing areas as well as a number of showers. I personally wear my workout clothes to the gym so that I don't have to worry about changing in the locker room. And yes, there will be people in the locker rooms who insist on walking around buck naked. :grumble:

No, you are not going to look ridiculous if you only go to the gym for 10 or 15 minutes. At least you were there! Everyone starts somewhere. It will become easier over time. You just need to stick with it. Start by doing something you will be able to do consistently. Don't start by doing too much because you could get overwhelmed and are basically setting yourself up for failure. It's key to take it slow.
  • MelanieN579
    Options
    Hi,

I had to reply because I had all the same fears as you. Yesterday I went to see Planet Fitness because they had a special and a friend was mentioning joining so it motivated me . So I went in, the guy took me for a tour around the place and everyone was friendly which made me feel better. So I joined yesterday. I was kind of making excuses of why I can't go today for the first time and should wait until Monday to begin, but as someone reminded me today sometimes the hardest part is just starting.

So I had to run an errand today and told myself if I had enough time I could go by there to get on a treadmill for the first time and take it from there. I went wearing my normal clothes, a t-shirt, jeans and ballet flats of all things, but heck I was only going to try the treadmill and I don't have any gym clothes yet. So I did that for a few minutes, then moved onto the stationary bike, then tried the elliptical which I really liked, and just kind of went back and forth between those three things. I didn't expect it to be fun but it actually was. There weren't very many people there and no one close by me. I only spent about 30 minutes there, but I'm really proud of myself for going and I can already tell the difference. I didn't notice any mirrors and they have sayings like "No judgment zone" which actually made me feel better. That saying made me feel more confident and less self conscious. Which I'm thankful for whoever thought of that.

I'm someone who overthinks everything too and my main fear was looking silly because I thought I would only be able to walk on the treadmill for 5-10 minutes and go home. So I planned to just try different equipment out and see what it's like. I guess my advice is just look at it like a fun thing and something you're doing for yourself. Don't worry about what anyone thinks.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you are and what type of people are at your gym. There have been threads on here about people judging others at the gym, and there have been threads about the opposite. Some people have nothing better to do than judge others, but just like others said you can be judged walking into a grocery store, a bank, where ever. Point is, get thick skin and get over what people MIGHT be thinking about you. You are there to make a better you and that is all that matters.
  • Gel_W91
    Gel_W91 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ahh, thank you everyone for the replies. I kind of new this deep down but idk, I just needed it confirmed. I'm actually going to do it, I'll book me and my partner in for some inductions and a couple personal trainer lessons each as soon as I can. He's going down the weight route, and I want to do both strength and cardio. I will go check some out during the week.

I'm kind of excited now. It's basically just not giving a f what others think, and I do that fine in my every day life so it's just a new mini adventure for me.

Thanks for the replies, glad to know I'm not the only one who has had these thoughts!
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I started out with my gym membership just to go swimming and take Zumba. The first time I walked up to the 'conditioning center', a/k/a the part of the gym that makes it a gym, for a session with a trainer, I took one look at all the people, all the equipment, took a panic attack and left. I didn't get back up there for another 2 months. So I understand the apprehension, absolutely. But once I made that second attempt, 3 weeks ago, went through with a trainer who gave me a simply strength routine and showed me the cardio equipment etiquette, etc., everything was fine. I am there literally every day now, and I love it. :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If you're one of the few women in the free weights area, some men will stare.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Personally I waited till I could handle at least 60 mins of exercise before joining but it wasn't about staring or embarrassment it was a simple financial decision. Is it really worth paying all that money for a gym membership when you aren't really fit enough to need all that equipment yet. A lot can be accomplished with a home workout. And personally I think it's better to wait until you want to join a gym to join a gym. When you feel that the workouts you can do at home begin to get restrictive and don't do much for you.

Personally I started with a 10 minute walk, 10 minutes of dumbbell/body weight exercises and 15 minutes on my old exercise bike every day. And man that totally wiped me out. I was about as unfit as it gets. And I didn't wanna go to the gym because I was getting everything i needed to improve at home.

I am not saying the gym is a BAD idea. I am just giving you another perspective.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Worry about yourself and wipe off the machines after you use them, Thats about it.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You're seriously overthinking this. Your first time going to deposit your check, did you make a thread asking what happens inside a bank? If course not.....I hope. This is no different.

It's a building. Treat it as if you're walking inside a building. Just pick a gym and go. No one is staring or caring about what you're doing in the building, just like every other place in the world.

Just go work out

I agree. Excellent point. If you are unsure go for a tour before-hand. They will bend over backwards to walk you through. Find a gym that is convenient for you to get to first and foremost. Other than that....just go....you will get so used to it in a matter of a few visits.
    I felt the same way when I started, thought everyone was going to think I was weak and flabby but not one person ever gave me a bad vibe and were always more than happy to help if I had a question.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind also that different gyms are going to have a different feel to them. I'm personally not a big fan of the big corporate gyms...I prefer local establishments that have more of a community feel to them. Even then, I went through a couple different memberships before landing on the gym I'm at now.

My first gym was a big box corporate gym that was near my home...I didn't like it, it was way too big and too loud and too busy; I lasted about a month there.

My second gym was the Jewish Community Center which had a great facility...people were great and I loved the amenities and all of the other family friendly stuff there was to do besides just the gym...but it was a commute from our house and it got old; we stayed on for about a year though but ultimately, the distance wore us down.

My third gym was a dark and dank local gym right around the corner from my house. Location was excellent, but I never really was comfortable there. It was in an old storage garage so no windows and was just dark all of the time and most of the guys that worked out there were professional or amateur MMA fighters and power lifters so I really didn't fit in all that well.

I finally discovered the gym I'm at now which is a perfectly sized local establishment...people are great and location is close enough to where I can bike and get in a good 15 mile round trip ride or drive and be there in about 10 minutes. It's a very comfortable place to be and I am really enjoying it.

I tell you this so that you don't just go into one gym and feel uncomfortable and then just skip out on the gym altogether...they're all a little different.
  • Kr1sMar1e
    Kr1sMar1e Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I go to a climbing gym. We'll stare at you while you work on a route, but we'll also yell supportive things and we'll give you a spot if you're bouldering, or belay you if you want to rope climb. I bring newbies all the time, and it's generally a positive experience. :smile: