"Freelee the banana girl"

Options
So I was on Youtube this morning and came across a vegan girl who lives in Australia.I've only watched some of her videos but her diet pretty consisting of only fruits and vegetables.In one video she blends 51 bananas throughout the day and just eats that.
She states she eats " raw til four".She encourages people to follow her example of eating no meat & dairy etc
I'm just interested to hear what people think about it? . I'm not posting this to bash her lifestyle etc,just want to hear peoples thoughts?.

Replies

• MichaelRobinson1994
    MichaelRobinson1994 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't personally see how that much sugar can be healthy, from fruit or not, with fiber or not, it seems like a boat load to process! - Can't be good for your teeth either!

I'll admit she looks healthy and is very lean, but she has very little muscle tone, and only looks as she does down to the very low levels of fat.

I'd be more open to their (hers and Harleys) ideas if they weren't so critical of literally EVERY other way of eating around.
    I've recently began following a Keto diet, and the many many other people on a similar diet PROVE that she's wrong about the whole "the fat you eat is the fat you wear" thing she promotes.

Even so, plenty of people seem to be on the band wagon and trying this out, im all for people being vegan or vegetarian, by all means if you so wish. But I don't see a problem with animal products if they're ethically produced...but she does!
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    i think Scooby says it best from 2:50
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,574 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of any extreme diet like that, plus I find her website and her "banana theme" really annoying, lol...so I wouldn't do it. I do love my fruit, but again, I do not like extremes. I prefer moderation in all things.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'd have serious heart issues. For some reason, one banana a day made my heart skip a beat. I don't recall being in love at that time either.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    She'll be diabetic before she reaches 40.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    She's awful. She thinks all women can have thigh gaps, and if they do, it means they're in peak physical form.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Youtube and the blogosphere give everyone a voice..................even the crazy ones.
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    All I can say is try it for yourselves.

I think Raw till 4 is the best and most practical diet.

But I still dont support eating 51 bananas a day or 20 medjool dates. I eat raw but limit my calories to 500-600 per meal.
  • Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    She's awful. She thinks all women can have thigh gaps, and if they do, it means they're in peak physical form.

I've never had a thigh gap,even before gaining weight.She's even put videos up explaining how to get one:noway:
  • snapdragon1231
    snapdragon1231 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wth is the deal with a thigh gap?!? People keep bringing it up and my daughter asked me about thigh gaps the other day. A CHILD. Where is this such a big deal???
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    All I can say is try it for yourselves.

I think Raw till 4 is the best and most practical diet.

But I still dont support eating 51 bananas a day or 20 medjool dates. I eat raw but limit my calories to 500-600 per meal.

The "best and most practical diet" is the one that you can stick to, and which keeps you healthy. Glad you found yours! :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,054 Member
    Options
    I'd have serious heart issues. For some reason, one banana a day made my heart skip a beat. I don't recall being in love at that time either.

Most likely the potassium in them.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I don't think her lifestyle is suitable for the average person who works at a desk job and has a whole family to take care of. Eating 3000 a day in fruits and a little bit vegetables is a bit too extreme that without proper exercise, anyone can get heavier on it. She exercise a lot... And from her daily blogs, it's exercising everyday, often intense effort too. She says it's all about abundance in eating but to me personally, it's like binge eating and orthorexia. Well she seems happy though so good for her but not everyone can be on that lifestyle even though she preaches for everyone to be. Plus, imagine how expensive that diet is in a food desert!? Think about the costs of flying and shipping exotic fruits!! It's not at all sustainable IMO.
  • mchlsmit
    mchlsmit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like Scooby - solid, sensible and a vegetarian (mostly).
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    When I saw the title of this thread I said "oh god" out loud.

Freelee is "recovering" from an eating disorder. From those that have had an eating disorder in the past it can be easier to bounce into another form of restricted dieting.

Honestly I don't take anything she says to heart since I watched "The no wash test"
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Any diet lacking in protein is a bad idea. The body needs protein, fat, carbohydrate, vitamins, minerals, fibre and water to function right. And oxygen.

What annoys me about diets like this is when you point out to people into them the issue of the lack of protein, they go on about all the micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) in them. Unfortunately, no amount of micronutrients will make up for a lack of macronutrients. It's like if someone's building a house, and there's no bricks, it doesn't matter how much wallpaper, curtains, window glass and stuff you have, if there are no bricks you can't build a house.... it's like that with protein... the basic building blocks of cells are the amino acids you get from protein (eight of them are essential and it's hard to get enough of all 8 on a plant only diet - possible, but you have to be careful - eating 50 bananas a day will not give you all 8 essential amino acids in large enough quantities)... micronutrients are important too, if you stick with the house analogy, they're like the curtains, window glass and roof tiles and stuff, they are needed for good health, but without enough protein (including all 8 essential amino acids in sufficient quantities) then really it's does not matter how many micronutrients you're getting, because micronutrients won't protect you from protein deficiency disease.

Regarding the high amount of sugar - if she's not in a calorie surplus then she won't get fat - however, if she's getting too many of her daily calories from carbohydrate then that means she's not getting enough protein or fat (fat is also an essential nutrient). I don't think people should be afraid of eating lots of fruit if they like to - but be sure you're hitting your fat, protein and carb goal and not going way over on carbs and under on protein.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It's easy to criticise, but she doesn't eat 51 bananas a day, she did that once and made a video about it. Of all the crazy diets around, including drinking nothing but stupid shakes all day, people think eating raw till 4 extreme??
    I eat raw till 4 (raw till dinner time) and I can only go on personal experience, as everyone does.
    I have no interest in starting a debate, only to say that every day I see crazy posts on here, people wanting to know what this new diet is like, what this supplement will do, can they lose 60 kilos in 30 days (the weight that took them years to put on), why isn't this or that working.
    Most people eat so badly and then follow even worse diets, spending $1000's on supplements, trying to 'fix' their food issues, why is eating actual food considered so crazy?
    Each to their own ????
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    I think she just preached this militant way of eating and I worry if young girls get ahold of her videos. God Forbid I ever have a thigh gap. I don't want one. But according to her, if you don't- you're wrong. That attitude is detrimental regardless of your message.
  • TrenAbe
    TrenAbe Posts: 26
    Options
    That thigh gap tho
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,054 Member
    Options
    It's easy to criticise, but she doesn't eat 51 bananas a day, she did that once and made a video about it. Of all the crazy diets around, including drinking nothing but stupid shakes all day, people think eating raw till 4 extreme??
    I eat raw till 4 (raw till dinner time) and I can only go on personal experience, as everyone does.
    I have no interest in starting a debate, only to say that every day I see crazy posts on here, people wanting to know what this new diet is like, what this supplement will do, can they lose 60 kilos in 30 days (the weight that took them years to put on), why isn't this or that working.
    Most people eat so badly and then follow even worse diets, spending $1000's on supplements, trying to 'fix' their food issues, why is eating actual food considered so crazy?
    Each to their own ????

I don't think criticism or debate is bad - constructive criticism and thoughtful debate, that is.
    and if she puts out a diet recommending it to the public, then that diet is open to constructive criticism and debate

True, there may be worse diets out there - but that is hardly a recommendation for this one.

Although I can see that raw till 4 could be a balanced diet - given that meal timing doesn't really matter, one could get a balanced diet that way, depending what is eaten after 4.
    yes eating raw food until 4 and then some cooked food, grains, dairy, meat etc after 4 - ie all other food than the fruit and veg you ate before 4 - is feasibly a balanced diet.

Personally cant see the point in dividing the day into before 4 and after 4, but there is no reason this couldn't balance IF the overall diet is balanced, not just all fruit and veg.