Question for runners

Options
I am new to mfp and I would like to join one of the monthly challenges where you keep track of the miles you run per week/mth. Could someone please tell me how they keep track of their miles? (type of wrist band etc.)
Feel free to add me :smile:

Replies

• nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper - and I do have a bracelet that counts my steps.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Theres:
    -mapmyrunn
    -runtastic
    -runkeeper
    ^phone apps

Fitbits and other fitnee trackers (nike fuelband, bodymedia fit, jawbone up, etc) track steps and distance as well.

Garmin forerunner gps watches do as well. Far more accurate. I've had runtastic lose 0.5mi from a run. Once I started my garmin and runtastic about a minute and half apart (runtastic first) and got the same distance. Other time I started them at the same time and there was a 0.3mi discrepancy between them.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Nike+ works for me.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I used to use the nike app that comes with ipods. I think its called Nike+
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin.
    I've used Mapmyrun in the past, both the app and the site itself (you map the run before or after online).
    I've also used the old method of actually driving the distance to measure either before or after a run.
  • rum_coke
    rum_coke Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...will go shopping today to see what I can find.
  • dxwatson2
    dxwatson2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use an app on my Android phone called MyTracks which maps the distance, time, etc. I have a secondary app called Tracks2Miles that exports that info to the website DailyMile.com.
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun and love it! I also love to ride my bike and use mapmyride for that.
  • lharrop1669
    lharrop1669 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also use Runkeeper app and wear my Fitbit Flex. When I return, my Runkeeper has a more accurate mileage display, so I edit the mileage on the Fitbit page to match Runkeeper.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper and my phone.
    As for a virtual running group, the link below is great

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1342672-it-s-the-july-2014-challenge
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    If money is no issue, I would choose a Garmin rather than app on the smartphone. Mine (iPhone 4, iOS7) keeps having issues with jumping back and forth when the signal is stopped by buildings or whatever and it annoys me to see an inaccurate route once I'm done.
  • shanehackney
    shanehackney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have used the following apps; Nike Running, Runtastic, Runkeeper, and MapMyRun. All are ok, and about the same. I have since then moved on to a Garmin Forerunner 620. I really like the watch better. I find it to be more accurate. You might need to go to a 620, the 220 works well. I personally like the freedom of not running with my phone. That is why I went to a GPS watch. All of these options sync to MFP. Good luck.
  • Kelven23
    Kelven23 Posts: 51
    Options
    Garmin.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've always used Nike+ but now that my Fitbit Flex can track runs I've been using that a bit too.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Garmin GPS watch.

I just got the 220 and love it. The forerunner 15 is much cheaper and also tracks steps; but must be connected to a PC to upload your runs. The 220 and 620 will upload wireless.

Used to use Endomondo app on my phone, which worked OK, but hate lugging a phone around.