Not losing weight-- what am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with everyone else: there isn't a chance that your workouts are burning anywhere near 1200 calories. I wish it would! I have a treadmill desk and I literally walk 4-6 hours a day! But most exercises don't burn that many, I'm sorry.

A simple calculation for walking and running (very, very simple, for purposes of rough calculation only) is that it takes about 100 calories to go a mile. Figure out how far you're walking, multiply by 100, and take that as your calorie burn. Start by eating back 50% of those calories. Report back.

I would also get a HRM for the other exercises, and once again eat back 50%.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I've been trying not to use the MFP numbers and focusing mostly on my HRM numbers. But maybe it is overestimating as well like people on here are saying. That's a shame too, cause it was expensive haha (Polar FT-60). I just want accuracy.

Some folks in the "Fitness and Exercise" section may have advice on how to use the HRM and what you can use it for. I'm far from expert in it, but I do recall that it is better at accurately recording some activities than others and that you need to back out the calories you would have burned during the period of exercise if you hadn't spent it exercising. Apparently HRMs are tricky to use properly.

Anyway, there will be some folks in that subforum who should be able to help with that.
  • monrizz90
    monrizz90 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not just walking 2-3 hours. I'm doing that in addition to being at the gym for an hour or 2. In an average day I'm up and moving around 4 hours.

But like everyone seems to be saying, I guess I'm eating too much. I already feel like I'm starving and light-headed all day so Idk how eating even less is supposed to make me healthy... but apparently I need to.

Please don't tell me I'm making "excuses". I'm trying VERY VERY VERY hard. It's all I think about and all I've been focusing energy on. I'm not making excuses. I'm very frustrated, hurt, and confused. No sass is necessary. I'll just see my doctor.
  • JonathanLepoff
    JonathanLepoff Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar heart rate monitor too 1200-1800 is an intense workout. If your monitor has the own cal feature and you use it your results would be more accurate than if not. One person mentioned maybe you were gaining muscle and losing inches rather than losing weight and that's a good thing to check.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've been trying not to use the MFP numbers and focusing mostly on my HRM numbers. But maybe it is overestimating as well like people on here are saying. That's a shame too, cause it was expensive haha (Polar FT-60). I just want accuracy.
    OK, so you've finally acknowledged that you may be overestimating your burns. But what about your logging?

Open your diary for personalized advice. Do you weigh everything you eat—even packaged foods? Do you verify database entries against the label? For food without labels, do you use USDA values whenever possible?
  • monrizz90
    Options
    I have lost an inch an a half from my waist and an inch from my hips though.
  • jesseme
    jesseme Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh and my net calories range from -310 to around 500.

Perhaps this is why you are feeling hungry and light-headed.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    I've been losing weight on and off for years. I've lost as many as 60 lbs in a half a year. I know HOW to lose weight. I'm just wondering if perhaps there are other people like me who KNOW they are doing things right, but the weight isn't coming off. Like...perhaps if someone has high anxiety levels which lead to higher production of hormones or someone who has a slow thyroid who figured out a way around it.

HRM monitors are not very accurate especially in high intensity workouts and lifting. they are best for steady state aerobics. The disparity increases as you become slimmer and your deficit likely decreases.

It sounds like you want to be told that "it's not your fault" and will disregard all the other evidence until you hear just that.

Here: It's not your fault :wink:
  • OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try working out your TDEE using this site, and see how it compares to what you are taking in

http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee
  • monrizz90
    Options
    Okay. Just stop replying on here. It's all my fault. Great. See y'all. :laugh:
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Okay. Just stop replying on here. It's all my fault. Great. Maybe I'll just stop eating and die. See y'all. :laugh:

I would ask on the Fitness And Exercise subforum about how to use the HRM. I mentioned this upthread, but maybe you didn't see it.

HRMs are trickier to use than it would first appear. Somebody over there should have good advice on how to use the HRM more effectively.
  • rainynight3L33
    rainynight3L33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    We all need to take a chill pill :smile:
  • AnnaVictorya
    Options
    Sounds like you are overestimating camories burned. Do you use HRM?

I had EXACT same issue - I always eat clean, no junk/processes, lots of lean protein + fruit and veg. I did 3 months of excercises like 45 min intervals + yoga, + 3 times a week running. Tracked my diet of between 1300-1800 ( did one month online dieta dn afollowed their recommendations). Gained weight. ( I also di 5x50 challenge - walking 5 k for 50 days)

A month a go I started eating differently - 1200 a day. NO sugar, no wheat, very little oil ( i do have avos and fish for healthy fats) - lost 6kg in 6 weeks.

I used to wonder - what is wrong with my body, i work out so so so hard, like really hard, those intervals were about killing me... I dont eat junk I even went for thyroid hormone test which came back clean.

Plus - How active are you when you are NOT working out? Do you sit a lot? Do you have sedentary job?

Turns out my body will only let go of fat if I keep in 1000-1200 calorie range, I know MFP keeps on nagging about starvation mode - but i do have lots of fresh fruit and veg juices, so i do not feel hungry or out of energy - still do my workouts and runs.
    Earlier in the year I tried 5:2 diet and gained 2 kg. :o)

( I know my ticker says lost 3, but it is actually proud 6, i only got back on MFP like 3 weeks ago!)

You just need to figure out your calorie range.
  • rainynight3L33
    Options
    "good morning... just ran across our post... and thought I would toss my 2 cents in... since I ran into a similar issue 3 months ago when I started dieting and excercise. 2 months passed... and the scale never moved! I was devastated and in tears! I couldn't figure it out... so I asked my doctor... and lo and behold... my body was just building up muscle (which weighs more than fat) while my clothes were getting more baggy! =0) So maybe that is what is going on with you at the moment =0) It just seems to be one of those things that "catch up with you". Keep up the good work =0)"

This is the most useful thing on here.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    You people are being very unfair. Not everyone in the world has to weigh every thing they eat to lose weight! It' actually a waste of time in my opinion. This girl is working out for 4 hours a day! Obviously she is burning a lot of calories and yall are being so cruel. Where is the support? Even if she wasn't eating exactly 1200 calories, what's a few more? She is working out more than any of you all and is worried and all yall do is say she is underestimating everything.

Occam's razor my friend. First, you must rule out the hypothesis with the least number of assumption. That is almost always that the person who claims they are making higher-than-normal levels of calorie expenditure is overestimating calories burned or plain out being dishonest with themselves. Have a thyroid isuee (~12% of population) requires significantly higher assumptions.

She should get it checked. It won't hurt but she should also take a humble pill and realize she might not be the calorie-burning goddess her HRM claims she is.
  • monrizz90
    Options
    You people are being very unfair. Not everyone in the world has to weigh every thing they eat to lose weight! It' actually a waste of time in my opinion. This girl is working out for 4 hours a day! Obviously she is burning a lot of calories and yall are being so cruel. Where is the support? Even if she wasn't eating exactly 1200 calories, what's a few more? She is working out more than any of you all and is worried and all yall do is say she is underestimating everything.

Occam's razor my friend. First, you must rule out the hypothesis with the least number of assumption. That is almost always that the person who claims they are making higher-than-normal levels of calorie expenditure is overestimating calories burned or plain out being dishonest with themselves. Have a thyroid isuee (~12% of population) requires significantly higher assumptions.

She should get it checked. It won't hurt but she should also take a humble pill and realize she might not be the calorie-burning goddess her HRM claims she is.

Okay. My bad. I didn't say I was a calorie burning goddess. All I'm saying is that I weigh 200 lbs and workout for 3-4 hours a day. I SHOULD be losing weight based on my diet combined with that. And I'm not. I'm gonna see a doctor. Seriously, don't be rude. This is supposed to be a supportive community. I GUESS I'VE BEEN WRONG. I'M NOT AN AMAZING CALORIE BURNING GODDESS. THANKING FOR SHINING YOUR LIGHT AND WISDOM ON ME. YOU ARE MY HERO.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options

Okay. My bad. I didn't say I was a calorie burning goddess. All I'm saying is that I weigh 200 lbs and workout for 3-4 hours a day. I SHOULD be losing weight based on my diet combined with that. And I'm not. I'm gonna see a doctor. Seriously, don't be rude. This is supposed to be a supportive community. I GUESS I'VE BEEN WRONG. I'M NOT AN AMAZING CALORIE BURNING GODDESS. THANKING FOR SHINING YOUR LIGHT AND WISDOM ON ME. YOU ARE MY HERO.

You're welcome. I'm not trying to be rude but you came and asked "what am I doing wrong." Tons of people on here with more experience than myself who have answered this question a million times gave their opinion that you were over-estimating calories. You kept blowing them off and saying "you knew what you were doing." Why ask then? Just make the topic "someone tell me I have a medical condition because I'm not losing weight."
  • rainynight3L33
    Options

I'm sorry I was a little upset before but I'm in her same position. Taking a chill pill now :smile: And I agree with the thyroid issue because it is always better to check.