Is my body freaking out? Have I shocked it?

Options
Hi, I've been trying to lose about a stone since just after Xmas. However, I started doing the old Jilliam Michaels DVDs 3 - 4 a week. I wasn't really watching what I ate, so two weeks ago, made more of an effort with diet and upped the DVDs to an hour to 90 mins or more a day for 6 days a week. Weighed in at 9st 9lbs last Saturday - Yay!

Then came two days of crazy binges, with the most crazy hardcore workouts ever. Since then, I'be been watching what I eat, but doing levels 1,2&3 of 30 day shread, then 6w6p after work. I did levels 1,2&3 of killer buns before work yesterday and stuck to about 1300/1400 cals and then did level 1 on 6w6p and level 3 of 30 day shred - all in one day!

My weight is up by 3/4 of a pound today.

So, I'm having a light exercise day today. Level 2 of 6w6p and level 3 of killer buns. May feel like more later.

I am just NOT shrinking, if anything my measurements are larger, my gut is huge and my thighs and butt are so flabby. Have I just shocked my body into wondering what the hell just happened?

One minute it's level 1 of 6w6p 3x a week and a session of no more trouble zones, now Jillian is out for blood.

The up side, I feel full of energy and fightinmg fit! Just find it very hard to stick to a calorie deficit. I want pizza and Ben & Jerrys dammit!

Sorry for rubbish typing. Mu nails are super long right now!

Startinng weight 10 st
Now 10 3/4
Goal 9 stone

Replies

• 2spooky4u
    2spooky4u Posts: 5
    Options
    You cant out exercise a **** diet. Log properly and stick to your deficit.
  • BekShark
    BekShark Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    2spooky4u, this is true. I will have to log. It's not fair though, we shoud be able to out train a rubbish diet if the world was a fair place!
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It's not a fair place.
  • BekShark
    Options
    I used to be able to out train a **** diet in my 20s. It's backfired on me now. :(
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to out train a **** diet in my 20s. It's backfired on me now. :(

No you didn't. It crept up on you then and overwhelmed your activity level. If it hadn't, you wouldn't be trying to lose weight now.
  • BekShark
    Options

No you didn't. It crept up on you then and overwhelmed your activity level. If it hadn't, you wouldn't be trying to lose weight now.

Well, that could be true and I've been up and down a few times since then.

What is irking me though, is the fact that nobody has actually answered my question. So, I've started logging food and activity on MFP and I've also upped my exercise tp 1 - 2 hours a day. I don't think this is excessive when you have a desk job. You probably should work out for 90 to 120 mins a day.

However, my body seems to have freaked out and actually gained a load of weight. I even put on 3/4 lbs since yesterday when I had a marathon workout and ate around 1300 cals.

It's all very well explaining that you can out train a bad diet, but what is this new torment? You workout like a beast, eat clean, low calorie food, yet you continue to swell and gain weight. :(

Sorry, feeling a bit womanly and ranty today.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    regular weight fluctuation

relax and go poop.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Well, that could be true and I've been up and down a few times since then.

What is irking me though, is the fact that nobody has actually answered my question. So, I've started logging food and activity on MFP and I've also upped my exercise tp 1 - 2 hours a day. I don't think this is excessive when you have a desk job. You probably should work out for 90 to 120 mins a day.

However, my body seems to have freaked out and actually gained a load of weight. I even put on 3/4 lbs since yesterday when I had a marathon workout and ate around 1300 cals.

It's all very well explaining that you can out train a bad diet, but what is this new torment? You workout like a beast, eat clean, low calorie food, yet you continue to swell and gain weight. :(

Sorry, feeling a bit womanly and ranty today.

Hi there.
    You seem to understand very well already what your problem is. Your body isn't freaking out, your mindset and routine is. If you want to see weight loss, make it your mission, excuse yourself from binging, buy a decent food scale (use it, too!!!), log your food and exercise, and stay off the bathroom scale for a few weeks. Get your routine down, and then go back to checking on your weight, fine-tune your nutrition, if you must. DRINK UP YOUR WATER!
    I do the same DVDs. If you can do more than one, 2 or more in a row, than you're not doing them correctly. Check your form, pick up heavier weights, and take your intensity and speed up a few notches. If you are THIS ambitious, do one session in the morning, and another one in the evening. They are set up to warm up your body, work your body, and cool down your body. They are not intended to be repeated right away. Rest periods are crucial for your body to adjust and repair itself.
    The exercise are not burning too many calories, but even for me at 5'5", 132 lbs, 17% BF, 51, female, they are plenty, even if you have only time for one/day. I'm doing most with 7-10 lbs hand weights, the kettlebell video with 12-15lbs, and on a good day, I'm burning about 250 calories in 30 min. You have to stick with the nutrition plan. Download one of Jillian's plans. It doesn't really matter which one, the idea for those 30 day torture DVDs is basically the same. You will notice that the plans seem very low in calories, but this is ok, because her training has a time limit of 30 days. You need to learn maintenance for the time after this.

Now go and work out! :wink:
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    So I noticed you said you feel a bit "womanly and ranty" today...

I am up 2/3 pounds during ovulation and even up to 5 on a bad evening of my period. Could be reasons?

Also, I lost 8 pounds in June and even though I was so proud of myself I cried in a dressing room because I seemed so flabby. A month later things have adjusted :)
  • snjohnston
    snjohnston Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been trying to lose about a stone since just after Xmas. However, I started doing the old Jilliam Michaels DVDs 3 - 4 a week. I wasn't really watching what I ate, so two weeks ago, made more of an effort with diet and upped the DVDs to an hour to 90 mins or more a day for 6 days a week. Weighed in at 9st 9lbs last Saturday - Yay!

Then came two days of crazy binges, with the most crazy hardcore workouts ever. Since then, I'be been watching what I eat, but doing levels 1,2&3 of 30 day shread, then 6w6p after work. I did levels 1,2&3 of killer buns before work yesterday and stuck to about 1300/1400 cals and then did level 1 on 6w6p and level 3 of 30 day shred - all in one day!

My weight is up by 3/4 of a pound today.

So, I'm having a light exercise day today. Level 2 of 6w6p and level 3 of killer buns. May feel like more later.

I am just NOT shrinking, if anything my measurements are larger, my gut is huge and my thighs and butt are so flabby. Have I just shocked my body into wondering what the hell just happened?

One minute it's level 1 of 6w6p 3x a week and a session of no more trouble zones, now Jillian is out for blood.

The up side, I feel full of energy and fightinmg fit! Just find it very hard to stick to a calorie deficit. I want pizza and Ben & Jerrys dammit!

Sorry for rubbish typing. Mu nails are super long right now!

Startinng weight 10 st
    Now 10 3/4
    Goal 9 stone

So, it appears to me that you're working out A LOT, but eating very few calories. You need to fuel your body (with the right kind of fuel) when working out hard, otherwise your body will essentially eat itself, ie. use muscle for fuel and leave you fatty and flabby. Just a thought.
  • BekShark
    Options
    It is that ovulation time. I knew something was up when I saw a charity commercial this morning and started bawling. Now I feel all emotional and like h7463 told me off and want to cry - even though she didn't. Sheesh, I'm such an emo :)

Yeah, the calorie estimates on here are lame. I reckon I burn about 200 with no more trouble zones and 3 kilo weights. I think a morning and evening session is very sensible. I should just do that and up the weights and go as hard as I can. :) Oh, and I already have to drink 4 litres of water a day 'cause of a kidney thing. Many trips to the ladies, but incredible skin!

Speaking of which, I'm thinking of trying Insanity. Will all this Jillian Michaels have prepared me, or will I just die?

h7463 - stay off the scale for a few weeks?? That's the toughest part by far ;-) You got me worried now. What if I take my eye off the ball and I'm suddenly like 13 stone haha.
  • BekShark
    Options
    So, it appears to me that you're working out A LOT, but eating very few calories. You need to fuel your body (with the right kind of fuel) when working out hard, otherwise your body will essentially eat itself, ie. use muscle for fuel and leave you fatty and flabby. Just a thought.

I really must admit to needing help here. Years of body image issues and stupid diets have completely distorted my view of what normal eating is. I was bullied relentlessly as the fat kid at school and it’s left me with some seriously messed up ideas about food.

MFP says to eat 1200 a day as a baseline, but it's estimates for calories burned are way off, they are sky high. Should I just be sticking to between 1200 and 1400 cals a day and making sure I get adequate protein?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

I really must admit to needing help here. Years of body image issues and stupid diets have completely distorted my view of what normal eating is. I was bullied relentlessly as the fat kid at school and it’s left me with some seriously messed up ideas about food.

MFP says to eat 1200 a day as a baseline, but it's estimates for calories burned are way off, they are sky high. Should I just be sticking to between 1200 and 1400 cals a day and making sure I get adequate protein?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • BekShark
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

That's exactly the kind of stuff I need. Thanks!
  • h7463
    Options
    It is that ovulation time. I knew something was up when I saw a charity commercial this morning and started bawling. Now I feel all emotional and like h7463 told me off and want to cry - even though she didn't. Sheesh, I'm such an emo :)

Yeah, the calorie estimates on here are lame. I reckon I burn about 200 with no more trouble zones and 3 kilo weights. I think a morning and evening session is very sensible. I should just do that and up the weights and go as hard as I can. :) Oh, and I already have to drink 4 litres of water a day 'cause of a kidney thing. Many trips to the ladies, but incredible skin!

Speaking of which, I'm thinking of trying Insanity. Will all this Jillian Michaels have prepared me, or will I just die?

h7463 - stay off the scale for a few weeks?? That's the toughest part by far ;-) You got me worried now. What if I take my eye off the ball and I'm suddenly like 13 stone haha.

Bahahahahaha......You know, I meant the bathroom scale, right....? You're still supposed to use the food scale. If you're eating THAT MUCH that your plate won't fit on your food scale in the kitchen, THEN we know where your real problem is!!!!
    No, the thing is, and I am really saying this from experience, that it takes a while for your body to process the change, get adjusted to the amount of food and exercise that you provide. The food is the toughest part, because your metabolism will probably adapt much faster to little food, than your sore body will learn to repair itself. Basically, you will have to stick with a certain amount of food, until your body has figured out what's going on. There is no switch or set time, it's an individual process.
    Staying off the scale is not so bad, if you stick to your plan. You are already committed to the hard work, why would you be nuts enough to sabotage it with bad eating choices, anyway. Think of yourself as your own science project and enjoy the process, rather than obsessing about every 1/2 lbs o the scale. Not that you'll have a choice, really, if you want to keep the weight down FOREVER!
    Also, look at your body composition, rather than the pounds. Let me give you an example... I'm 132lbs now, and (give or take a few muscles around the shoulders) a US size 4-6. I used to be 125lbs and a US size 8-10.....

Good luck!!!!
  • BekShark
    Options

Bahahahahaha......You know, I meant the bathroom scale, right....? You're still supposed to use the food scale. If you're eating THAT MUCH that your plate won't fit on your food scale in the kitchen, THEN we know where your real problem is!!!!
    No, the thing is, and I am really saying this from experience, that it takes a while for your body to process the change, get adjusted to the amount of food and exercise that you provide. The food is the toughest part, because your metabolism will probably adapt much faster to little food, than your sore body will learn to repair itself. Basically, you will have to stick with a certain amount of food, until your body has figured out what's going on. There is no switch or set time, it's an individual process.
    Staying off the scale is not so bad, if you stick to your plan. You are already committed to the hard work, why would you be nuts enough to sabotage it with bad eating choices, anyway. Think of yourself as your own science project and enjoy the process, rather than obsessing about every 1/2 lbs o the scale. Not that you'll have a choice, really, if you want to keep the weight down FOREVER!
    Also, look at your body composition, rather than the pounds. Let me give you an example... I'm 132lbs now, and (give or take a few muscles around the shoulders) a US size 4-6. I used to be 125lbs and a US size 8-10.....

Good luck!!!!

Bathroom scales :D

I've just been on this other thread about working out RBMR and TDEEs to try and work out how much I should be eating and of what. Frankly, I'm even more confused. I make my living drawing pretty things and making people's business stuff look nice. This is all too science and maths-like to me. :-S

However, I'm, fine with conducting my own science project on myself. :)

It's kinda tough eating much in this humid heat, which does't help. I could quite easily squaff a load of ginger beer (full sugar) and a family pack of Cornettos though.

I was going to ask your advice - do you think my Monday and Tuers recovery days should be good quality protein fests? For carbs, I like beans and chickpeas and quinoa.
  • h7463
    Options

Bathroom scales :D

I've just been on this other thread about working out RBMR and TDEEs to try and work out how much I should be eating and of what. Frankly, I'm even more confused. I make my living drawing pretty things and making people's business stuff look nice. This is all too science and maths-like to me. :-S

However, I'm, fine with conducting my own science project on myself. :)

It's kinda tough eating much in this humid heat, which does't help. I could quite easily squaff a load of ginger beer (full sugar) and a family pack of Cornettos though.

I was going to ask your advice - do you think my Monday and Tuers recovery days should be good quality protein fests? For carbs, I like beans and chickpeas and quinoa.

Yeah....don't beat yourself up over numbers.... I'm an engineer, and even I have my doubts about what they are calculating there...

In a nut shell: The BMR is the number of calories that your body burns, when you are doing absolutely nothing... Then there is the TDEE...that's the total amount that you are burning, when you go about your daily chores (depending on how honest you are about your actual activity level...)
    If you want to lose weight, the idea number is anywhere between those 2. Exactly where, largely depends on your metabolism. If you want to go the lazy way, just eat less to get to this number. If you want to make sure, your skin isn't flabby when the weight comes off, you start strength training and cardio. Pretty simple, actually.
    I currently get the 'biggest bang for the buck' with a modified version of Jillian's workouts with much heavier weights than she recommends. For today, I did level 1 of 30 day shred with 10 lbs dumbbells. Half of the workout was in the top 2 heart rate zones, and all my muscles are on fire. I've been rotating workouts like this now for 4 weeks straight, and the fat is just dripping...
    My mission is to shed a little more fat, not to lose weight.
    Currently, my BMR is about 1300 calories, and I'm aiming for 1500 net calories/day as weekly average. I'm not beating myself up on a daily basis. Mostly, I'm a little under 1500, that takes care of sloppy work around the food scale..... I found out, that if I get 1500 calories worth of food in me, I won't feel hungry, regardless of how much I workout. If I eat 'only' 1200 calories, I'll tear the fridge door off the hinges...that's just my body being stubborn...no sense fighting back...
    As I said before, I'm working around a weekly average for my calories. On days that I train extremely hard, I eat more. No problem, no guilt.
    The protein/carb/fat ratios are another very personal issue. I lift heavy, I need my carbs. Period. Currently, my macros are protein 40%, carbs 35%, fat 25 %. Again, it's a guideline for me, and I won't beat myself up over being 1/2 % off...
    On recovery days, I eat light. No sense in piling on food, that I would want to work off again during the week. I eat lots of non-fat Greek yogurt, add some protein powder, some fresh fruit. Lean meat and fish work well, too. Tons of veggies and salad... For fat just add organic peanut butter, almond butter, just anything that you can control. Try not to buy packaged food. It's got too much garbage in it. Chickpeas are great. Hummus is made from chickpeas, garlic and olive oil, and it's a great snack with celery or carrots.
    You can eat noodles, too. Check the labels, and look for anything whole grain. Have fun with trying new recipes.
    In my experience, it's easier, trying to keep the macro ratios consistent throughout the week for your purpose. This way, your metabolism will less likely get stuck.... Besides, your body will likely be craving protein for repairs right after training, no sense in packing extras on a day that you don't primarily need it.... Remember, you have to drink a lot of water to keep things moving... Easy on sodium, too...
    MFP will show you a list of basic nutrients. If in doubt, supplement with a multi vitamin, and add on with food.
    So much for science....lol