Choosing a goal weight?

Options
My goal weight was 108lbs. I'm five feet, three-point-five inches tall. Someone told me that was too low and encouraged me to move it up to around 124lbs.

How do you decide what's a good weight to aim for? Should I stick with 124, or should I go back to aiming for 108?

Replies

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    why not stick with 124, get to it, see how you feel when your at 124 and if you're not happy lower it to 108 it really doesn't matter, does it? :wink:
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I set my first goal to be 4 pounds under the max BMI for a person of my height and age. I hope to end up around a 22 based on BMI which would put me around 150-155.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    BF% and composition....scale weight is arbitrary and made up of all kinds of things for which fat is only one of those things.

I would think at 108 you would be exceedingly tiny and probably not have much in the way of muscle or anything....but I suppose some people like that look.

My wife is 5'3" and looks awesome at right around 125 - 130...but she lifts and what not and I prefer an athletic/fitness build to super skinny, but that's just me.
  • alison067
    alison067 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    They are all just numbers until you get to them. See how you feel at 124, your ideal body is probably somewhere in between that and 108 :)
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I worked with my doctor for my goal weight because BMI means diddly with my particular body composition.
  • danibrosseau
    Options
    why not stick with 124, get to it, see how you feel when your at 124 and if you're not happy lower it to 108 it really doesn't matter, does it? :wink:

I think that's the game plan! I'm just.. I'm one of those people that wants to know exactly where I'm going. Not knowing bugs me a bit.
  • danibrosseau
    Options
    BF% and composition....scale weight is arbitrary and made up of all kinds of things for which fat is only one of those things.

I would think at 108 you would be exceedingly tiny and probably not have much in the way of muscle or anything....but I suppose some people like that look.

My wife is 5'3" and looks awesome at right around 125 - 130...but she lifts and what not and I prefer an athletic/fitness build to super skinny, but that's just me.

I "lift and whatnot," as well! So I'm thinking 108 is likely too low. Thanks for your response! :)
  • danibrosseau
    Options
    I worked with my doctor for my goal weight because BMI means diddly with my particular body composition.

I'm pretty sure BMI means diddly with just about everyone's particular body composition.
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I picked the highest normal bmi (and smallest I've ever been) for my goal. I have a large frame (I can't wrap my fingers around my wrist) and know at the smallest normal BMI I'd look very thin. I will see how I feel at 140 (I'm 5'3) and then adjust from there. I'm hoping to not lose a lot of muscle, and eventually even gain some with strength training.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure BMI means diddly with just about everyone's particular body composition.

:laugh: When I say diddly I mean without surgery I'll never get out of overweight borderline obese for my height so BMI amuses me to no end. That being said yeah I agree whats up with those numbers how did they get there?
  • nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    I don't go by BMI, According to that I'm obese but I have a 20% body fat. My main goal is to drop body fat. I don't care what my weight is as long as my BF is from 12-15%.