exercise with bad knees

Options
I was wondering if anyone could tell of a good exercise for someone with bad knees. My husband has arthritis in both knees. The doctor told him that walking would aggravate it more. He suggested an exercise bike with no resistance. Anything else that would help?

Replies

• Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Swimming will take pressure off the joints.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    swimming would be ideal...and I'll throw in water aerobics as well.

if they're bad enough that walking is going to aggravate them, there's not a ton of options...walking is about as low impact as you can go while still using your legs.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Another vote for swimming.

I am guessing he isn't already a swimmer, or you wouldn't be asking this question.

Here's the program for adult non-swimmers to become swimmers:

1. Get swimming lessons with a good teacher. Ask around for recommendations. Go to one lesson per week, and practice at least two times between lessons.

2. Be prepared for initial frustration. For the first 6-8 weeks this will be a lot of struggling and not feeling like he is making progress. Keep working and endure this phase until your first "breakthrough." This is when he will have his first "Hey, I'm swimming! This is great!" moment. After this, he will be hooked.

3. Work on swim fitness to be able to swim longer and faster. Best way to do this is to join a US Masters affiliated swim group. Don't be put off by the name "masters" - beginners are welcome.