Protein Snacks

Options
I was told to counteract the sugar i eat in fruit to eat protein with it. Any suggestions on some protein snacks??

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, cheese (watch out for fat content), greek yogurt, cottage cheese, hummus (again, high in fat)...good luck :-) I'm a vegetarian so I have to protein snacks down!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    A few nuts, I like to have Almonds.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I love light string cheese--tasty (you can't tell it's light) and about 60 cals with 8 grams of protein (brand dependent, obviously, but most are around that)
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Natrual PB, Low fat cottage cheese, string cheese, Shredded Mozzarela, lean meats, Raw nuts. almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, whey protein, Plain greek yogurt
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    It wouldn't need to be much (too many cals!) so just a few nuts would do it! I am not totally sure this would work but maybe having more protien snacks INSTEAD of fruit might be the go. How much fruit do you eat? If more than 1 - 2 per day, have a protien snack instead (helps build the muscles too from strength training).
  • juneduneybug
    Options
    I found some really great protein bars - they're called Think Thin. They have up to 20g of protein and most of them have no sugar at all! They taste really good too, with most of the flavors containing chocolate. They have them near the weight-loss bars and the rest of the protein bars in most grocery stores, even some Walmarts have them. You should try them! :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I make my own protein bars.

1 cup of oats
    8 scoops of unflavoured WPC
    5 teaspoons of Cacao powder
    1/3 cup of sultanas
    1/3 cup of natural peanut butter
    2 tablespoons of natural honey
    ~1/2 cup of milk

Spread it out on a small tray lined with baking paper, sprinkle with shredded coconut and put in the fridge to set.

Or cans of tuna are good. Pre-boiled eggs.

Nuts are not a good primary source of protein. Good in moderation.
  • nmpresto
    nmpresto Posts: 157
    Options
    I found some really great protein bars - they're called Think Thin. They have up to 20g of protein and most of them have no sugar at all! They taste really good too, with most of the flavors containing chocolate. They have them near the weight-loss bars and the rest of the protein bars in most grocery stores, even some Walmarts have them. You should try them! :)

LOVE THESE!!!! But they are a little spendy...
  • cookiejones
    Options
    I like roasted chick peas :) I take a can of chick peas (low sodium) and dry them thoroughly, then douse them in spices and bake them at around 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then leave them in there to dry a bit. They're super high in fiber, low in fat and crunchy (for when I want chips)
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    I like roasted chick peas :) I take a can of chick peas (low sodium) and dry them thoroughly, then douse them in spices and bake them at around 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then leave them in there to dry a bit. They're super high in fiber, low in fat and crunchy (for when I want chips)

I love chick peas - this sounds delicious!
  • corinnemcvicar
    Options
    i only eat one piece of fruit a day.
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options

That is a great tip!! I love chick peas but always have them warmed up with some sauteed onion - will definitely be trying this :-)
  • Bzbear2
    Bzbear2 Posts: 109
    Options
    peanut butter, cheese (watch out for fat content), greek yogurt, cottage cheese, hummus (again, high in fat)...good luck :-) I'm a vegetarian so I have to protein snacks down!

.. hummus isn't high in fat! it's a great lowfat protein. it's made with chickpeans and tahini (but only a teensy bit of tahini..)
  • srhcrne
    srhcrne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are eating berries ( anything where you are eating seeds) you are already on the right track. The fiber in the berries slows the sugar- so if you are not eating berries, make that change and it is helpful. The having those berries with a little greek yogurt- add a little fiber one cereal just enough for some crunch and you have yourself a nice little treat. Have you tried PB2? It is a powdered peanut butter, mix it in with the plain greek yogurt and dip strawberries in it- delicios!