10g of carbs a day!

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This is my exact plan! How long did you stick with low carb? My orginal plan was 2 weeks however I think I should do it for a lb goal?... like 20lbs

For all your life or don't bother.
  • Superfun601
    Superfun601 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is my exact plan! How long did you stick with low carb? My orginal plan was 2 weeks however I think I should do it for a lb goal?... like 20lbs

Nice support.... rolling my eyes
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There is nothing magical about low carbs...people lose a lot of weight initially with low carb because they deplete their glycogen stores (immediately available energy) and require less water for metabolizing carbs...so basically people lose a lot of fluid weight to begin with.

Other than that, it's calorie reduction just like anything else. Any diet that results in weight loss relies on calorie reduction and the individual consuming fewer calories than they need to maintain. This is math and science. People who low carb inadvertently cut calories because a lot of carbohydrates like grains, pastas, legumes, rice, etc are calorie dense foods. Remove them from you diet and voila...calorie deficit.

My issue with low carbs and in particular very low carbs is that you aren't really going to get proper nutrition. If you're eating 10 grams of carbs per day, how are you going to get all of your vitamins and minerals from your food? You'd be hard pressed to get in your vegetable servings and forget about fruit...both of those things are pretty "healthy" I'd say. Low carb is also for **** if you're active and participate in sport of any kind. There's no way I could train for a triathlon or a century ride on a low carb diet.

Most people on the SAD could stand to reduce carbs...but that is only because the SAD is pretty carb heavy and people consume a lot of soda and excessive amounts of sugar, etc. Basically people could reduce their intake and take a more balanced dietary approach and be just fine. I eat roughly 40c/30p/30f and I easily lost 40 Lbs just maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit. I eat that macro ratio because it is pretty balanced and I perform well with those numbers.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Eating 5 low carb wraps per day doesn't sound like a long-term lifestyle to me. My friend followed a low carb diet and lost a lot of weight. She gained it back (and then some) a months/years later. There is no secret formula to weight loss. If you follow a balanced diet and exercise regularly, you should see results.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    As mentioned Joesph's has really good low carb wraps. And there are other brands also.
    Low Carb can be a VERY effective way to lose weight and for many people, but certainly not everyone, a sustainable lifestyle. There are sites out there that can give you LOTS more information, recipes and support. Low Carb Friends being one of them.
    IMNO 10 grams of carbs per day is a big challenge, but 20 or 30 as induction and then slowly increasing works.

Good luck to you!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Net Carb Zero (Freezes for 9+ Months). It’s also just a great gluten free sandwich bread. (Lab Tested & Verified) (GI= Zero) (Stay In Ketosis)

Ingredients: Purified Water, Organic Gluten Free Oat Fiber, Egg Whites, Psyllium Seed Powder, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cinnamon, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Potassium Bicarbonate (Potassium), Stevia, Sea Salt.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 slice (43g)
    Servings Per Loaf approx 16
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 35 Calories from Fat 25
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 2.5g 4%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 70mg 4%
    Total Carbohydrate 9g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 9g 38%
    Net Carbs 0g 0%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 3g
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 2%
    Iron 2% Calcium 4%
    **Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie a day diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  • MichaelRobinson1994
    MichaelRobinson1994 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you cut your carbs completely like the guy you mention, your body will start breaking down muscle to fuel it's functions, which you don't want.

Your body does need Carbs to function properly, but only a tiny amount, it requires Glucose, which it is easiest to get from Carbs as they break down from digestion, however you can function of incredibly low levels of carbs pretty much permanently. If the rest of your diet is in check.

I've began to follow a Ketogenic Diet, and so are two of my friends, they have been Keto for 3 and 5 years respectively. I am on day 2 myself. Both of my friends eat around 30g of Carbs a day and eat 25% of their calories in protein and the rest in fat, they are both pretty big and shredded too.
    Once your body shifts into a state of Ketosis, the body turns stored body fat into Ketones, which the body then used for Energy in the place of Glucose from Carbs, and as this is a low Carb diet, and your body begins to use fat stores on the body for Energy, it works for weight loss, and can be used for as long as you like, short term or very long term.

EDIT: this means that there is not muscle waste from this diet. The muscle is very much spared, so long as you maintain your resistance training.
    Second EDIT: I just realised this thread died in January, I have no idea why it was on my first page of threads.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

This. If you think of this or any other plan as a "diet" or as a short-term weight loss plan, YOU WILL FAIL. Even if you meet your goals, you WILL gain back the weight.

Success is a lifestyle change.

(Also - although I don't eat low carb - there's nothing wrong with eating low carb. Many diabetics are prescribed ketogenic diets by their doctor in order to more easily regulate blood sugar. It's also a great way to prevent food cravings, since these are often triggered (in me, at least) by eating carbs.)
  • youdontknowme9
    youdontknowme9 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I currently try to keep under 20g of carbs a day. Sometimes I get grouchy, but usally it's around TOM otherwise I'm fine.

However, I am a horrible logger of my food so it doesn't show in this site.

I average about a lb a week or so.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Because of severe PCOS I've been living a ketogenic lifestyle for several months now and it's honestly the best I've felt my entire life. Low carb can be severe (like keto, under 20g a day) or can be 50-100g a day. Do people without medical reasons -need- to follow low carb to lose weight? Nope. Are low carb diets a fad that work at first and stop working later? Also nope. You have to find what works for you.
  • yesiamsassy
    Options
    I have just started on the Atkins diet (not officially signed up on the plan per se but i am following hte stage 1 guidelines and plan to do so for 3 weeks)

I am eating a TON more protein that i usually do and different fats than i normally eat (i am a crab junkie..sourdough/sweet rolls and english muffins along with bread and butter was my buddy). I am also a huge pasta and fruit eater.

eating all those carbs, very little protein fat specifically and mainly from butter (not too many other sources) has led to a 50lb gain in 4 years...strong and steady gain.

I walk on average about 5-8k steps a day (so i am nto a slug) i am 48 and have already been post meno for about 2 years (which doesnt help) and my water and fluid intake is awesome normally-I have HIGH bad cholesterol, great good cholesterol and average triglycerides..also my blod quantum level for salt is average and in am just below being considered bordeline high blood sugar. I have a resting HR of 68 (used to be 64 4 years ago) and bp of 115/70 (used to average 98/60 a few years back as well)

I just started this atkins like diet Monday-havent really lost any weight but i have more energy than i have had in months in just two days. I am trying really hard to get 20% of carbs from the approved sources on phase 1 (i hit about an average of 19 right now) and i am about averaging 75 % fat intake daily and about 26% protein.

I am using ketostix to tet urine and show trace ketones (Ketosis status) already on second day. I plan on doing this for 3 weeks before i introduce berries and nut and nut butters into the diet ....fruit is my downfall though and will be the hardest not to go overboard on (fresh not canned or frozen)

I plan on introducing everything back in -within moderation and restrictive.....i like chocloate and grains and such and will just start eating them on avg no more than 3 times a week (and less than 3 servings on those days)

lets be cler i am not an over eater by any means..sometimes i nly eat 1-2 meals a day just because i am not hungry...carbs appear to NOT be my friend anymore so i will be working more towards a Paleo diet source with adding those fruits that have less sugar in them and will ocassionally indulge but will have to really restrict myself-it is easy to get carried away and say tomorrow i will do better....