Estimating calorie in meals?

Options
Hey everyone! So have been a religious MFP user for over 2 years! I love it.
I usually count everything, and weigh/measure everything.
However, I am going on a 2 week long vacation to an island where i'm sure calories wont be available. The idea of not knowing the calories for TWO WEEKS scares me. I have no problem estimating for a few meals now and then or even for a few days on vacation or at friends house.. but two full weeks ?!?!

What do you do?
How can you estimate?!

HELP i'm like so nervous

Replies

• Jason7Scott
    Options
    Hey

I had the same thought, as going away soon and wondered what i would do about counting calories and getting in workouts. Best answer i found was.... take a break and enjoy your holiday. I can't imagine two weeks would make a huge difference, however, monitor what you eat, perhaps stick to similar meals you may prepare at home. Go for fruits at breakfast etc.

If you are keen on monitoring, you could keep a log of the foods you consume during the day, head back and at least you will be able to gain a rough estimate. You may be able to work out roughly in your head through the day potential calories as you have been counting so long.

If it was me, i would just enjoy my holiday, chill out and keep an eye to make sure i am not eating too much junk food/drink, and aim for a few healthy choices. Come back and start fresh counting :D
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You've learned the tools you need to do this. Believe in your new talent to know what you're eating.

Over the past couple of years, you've weighed everything and you've also become aware of how large/small that weight looks on a plate or in a bowl. You can now "eyeball" the portions for 2 weeks and come out having done very well.

Keep to a mix of 1/2 of the plate is veggies, 1/4 is starch and 1/4 is protein. This will give you fairly balanced meals and if your portions are reasonable, you'll do well.

Use this time as a trial for when you will no longer be weighing and measuring every bite. You can do this.
  • daniiix3333
    Options
    Thank you guys, all great advice! I think im going to just have to estimate and not worry