how to work out and loose weight with bed knee?

I was always very active, however 4 months ago I injured me knee. I am not allowed to run or jump for quite some time. Finally my knee improved a bit and I am trying to work out again. I have to say that during that time I was very miserable and unhappy... I really miss running and playing sports... It sucks... But I know that I have to adjust.... Do u guys have any advise or ideas regarding work outs I could do ? Thank u.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I don't know what you're able to do. Swimming? Strength training? Cycling? Walking?

To lose weight - calorie deficit.
  • cyberpump
    cyberpump Posts: 4
    I don't know what you're able to do. Swimming? Strength training? Cycling? Walking?

To lose weight - calorie deficit.

Diet is king. I liken it to 80% of more of being fit and not overweight. You can NEVER out exercise a poor diet either. Not even close. You ever wonder why you see the same people sweating it up in these exercise classes and yet most of them don't seem to change their physique? Yup, what you eat is KING for body composition.
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Look into DDP Yoga. It can be easily modified for your knee (and you may find it kind of "rehabs" it). It is NOT traditional Yoga at all.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Seated elliptical.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Cycling, swimming, yoga......
  • shanesemathis
    shanesemathis Posts: 25 Member
    Walking at your own pace and swimming will probably be your best bets. You can control how much you use your knee (somewhat, at least) with both exercises and swimming may strengthen it.
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Walking at your own pace and swimming will probably be your best bets. You can control how much you use your knee (somewhat, at least) with both exercises and swimming may strengthen it.

If you're not a swimmer, you can also walk lengths of the pool. The water will support a lot of your weight and reduce strain on your knee.
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Swimming for sure! Even just walking in water that is a bit higher than your waist. Walking, as much as you can tolerate. Cycling. I just finished PT for a knee injury that had me down for 6 months. Some of the exercises I've been doing at home are bridges (laying on the floor with knees bent and lifting my butt), clam shells (remind me of a thigh master, lay on side with knees bent slightly lift top leg while keeping feet touching, I use a resistance band around my knees to make it more intense), leg lifts (both sitting in a chair and laying on my stomach), and side steps with a resistance band around my ankles.

I've also downloaded Sworkit for my phone and set up a custom workout that doesn't hurt me to perform.