67 year young Type 2 Diabetic

Options
Hi,

I'm Mikesgram1. Due to several medical problems and medicaitons, I find myself out of shape and overweight. I need to get some of this weight off quickly. I am looking for positive, encouraging support. Humor is always appreciated. I'm female, married, and love loom knitting, reading, cooking and making hair accessories.

Thanks for including me in your group.

:wink:

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    hi. the best thing i started doing for my type 2 was walking at a comfortable pace, continuous walking with no stops. i started out only able to do 15 minutes some days, then built up to 20 and am now up to 45. after a walk, my blood sugar was originally 30 to 45 points lower and some of that lasted for hours. also eating smaller meals - i eat 6 times per day, approx 200 to 225 calories per meal - means less spiking in your blood sugar.

you don't mention your height or weight, but i suggest you start logging ALL the food you eat (i used to do it in a notebook, but doing it here on my fitness pal can be faster and easier). once you know how many calories per day you eat, cut 500 out. just 500, and you'll start losing weight. don't use the numbers to judge yourself - just as data.

hair accessories, huh? do you sell on etsy? we've just started selling stuff there.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    I am your age, an avid reader and also had some medical issues before I decided to "tow the line." After 4 months of eating healthy, logging everything I put in my mouth, weighing and measuring my food and staying within my calorie allowance, my last blood work showed normal cholesterol and glucose. I started to exercise but did so very slowly. Today I do either a 5K or an hr. of step aerobics every day. Aside from the normal aches and pains that go along with the 60's, I feel great and I am almost half way to my goal wt. So....don't be afraid. You can do this and reap the same benefits as I did. I am sending you a friend request. My name is Carol by the way and I live in SC.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm Mikesgram1. Due to several medical problems and medicaitons, I find myself out of shape and overweight. I need to get some of this weight off quickly. I am looking for positive, encouraging support.
    (snipped)

Hi MG;
    and welcome aboard.

Basically agree with all that IBC posted above - as long as the proviso to "check with your doc before making any major changes" is added. 500 cal/day reduction MAY (or may not) be too much, too soon.

In theory, it "should" result in a weight loss rate of ~1#/week which likely sounds to low to you at first, but may be too much.

As she said, without at least having "all" your numbers (age, sex, height, weight, activity level, etc) it's really impossible to offer anything past a "guess" - and even then it has to pass muster by your doc.

Building a database (by tracking ALL calories consumed every day, along with daily body weight figures) will enhance both our and your ability to make appropriate changes as you proceed toward your goal.

Regardless, "...get this weight off QUICK..." is usually not a good idea (here again, check with doc as to what s/he thinks is an appropriate rate).

I would suggest that you take a look at a thread wherein there's a very good (and fact based) discussion on many things that are directly relevant if one of your issues is T2D or pre D.

Pay particular attention to the comments posted by "MidWest" (but read them all if the subject is applicable)
    Here's the link (you should be able to just "click" on it, but if that doesn't work, copy and paste it to your addy bar).
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1368663-low-carb-diabetes-critical-review-evidence-base
  • granniemyrna
    granniemyrna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see another 'senior' is doing MFP. I just started on Tuesday and hope to have good results. I am 73, a mom of 2, grandmother of 7, and great grandmother of 4 (one deceased). My husband is diabetic also and so we weigh and measure everything. He is so GOOD that sometimes I really feel rotten about 'falling down' on my food plan. I love the automatic food tracker which shows exactly how much of everything you should be getting and where you are at that point in the day. We have a VFW dinner this evening and I've put in the food I expect to eat. I discovered that I was way over in my 'fats' so I removed the potato salad from the list and now I know I will just skip it tonight and still be fine. Just take everything one hour at a time.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I had medical issues (back problems mainly) so I started walking and logging everything I put in my mouth. I've lost 21lbs in 12 weeks. I do off loom bead weaving making jewellery (mainly earrings and bracelets) add me as a friend if you like, I'm an ex nurse (registered in the U.K.) and a bit younger than you.
    H
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    The value of regular exercise is going through loud and clear! It's great to hear how so many people are fitting walking and other types of exercise into their daily routine. It's encouraging to hear how starting off slowly and then building up gradually leads to improved blood sugars and weight loss. A friend was motivated to exercise so she could keep up with her 2 year old grandson, and now she enjoys going for walks with him and playing on the beach. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • deansdad101
    Options
    The value of regular exercise is going through loud and clear! It's great to hear how so many people are fitting walking and other types of exercise into their daily routine. It's encouraging to hear how starting off slowly and then building up gradually leads to improved blood sugars and weight loss. A friend was motivated to exercise so she could keep up with her 2 year old grandson, and now she enjoys going for walks with him and playing on the beach. ~Lynn /Glucerna
    Lynn;
    Couldn't agree more! (although we're not "iron pumpers" and have never seen the inside of a Gold's gym

To our way of thinking walking, and possibly cycling (on a $59 Schwinn, not a $2995 Acme Gearloose, 39 speed with 12 water bottles and a $1200 speedo suit (not including shoes), are really all those of us no longer in contention for a spot on the Olympic team - need.

But "need" it, we do. (and I'm not saying that other forms of exercise should be ruled out if one is physically capable and desires to do so)

There is simply nothing better with a lower risk of potential damage than walking (especially walking on the beach for those lucky enough to be able to do so.

Very little chance of shin splints, over exertion to the point of causing cardiac (or other) problems, or most (if not all) of the myriad of problems that the "power" exercisers inflict upon themselves.

Doesn't require more than a desire to get up, get outside, and enjoy nature.

A decent pair of shoes, and, if you really want to splurge, a $15 pedometer if you feel the need (or for some, the motivation) to digitize your step count.

While it's probably true that there exists on MFP a much higher percentage of 20-30 "something'ers" for whom pumping iron and spending the bulk of their waking hours in the quest for the perfect bod, those days are long gone for most of us (if they ever existed in the first place which for most (us), they never did (G)) - it's likewise probably true that in the "real world" they comprise a *much* smaller percentage of the overall population.

Age issues aside, my guess is the "walkers" FAR outnumber the pumpers and to our way of thinking there's good reason why.

Our first son was born with some very serious issues and required heart surgery within hours of his birth. I tell you this, not seeking sympathy, it was years ago and we're as "over it" as we ever can possibly be - but rather to set the stage for the story.

The pede cardiologist who performed the surgery was not only the parent of one of my bride's kids in her classroom, but also the preeminent pede heart surgeon in the region.

He was a "runner", a health nut, never smoked or drank a day in his life, and ran daily without regard to rain, sleet, snow, or stifling heat.

Dropped dead of a heart attack on his "last run" a few months after he finished putting our son back together.

Not one of us can avoid the inevitable, and exercise in moderation can clearly better the odds of "later" rather than "sooner" - but the operative phrase is "moderation".

Keeping up with the grandkids (or at least staying a lot closer than you used to be able to) is a bonus no one can put a dollar value on.
  • Adoreenm
    Adoreenm Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, 63 yrs, married female here (SoCal). Currently on 3 meds (Glimperide, Metformin, Victoza) which are helping keep sugars in the 110 average (morning check before breakfast). Primary desire is to get off meds so need to keep losing weight. Retired in 2012 weighing 410. Currently down to 383. This site was recommended to me by my water exercise instructor where I go twice a week for 2 hours (2 classes: Level 1 = range of motion and stretching, Level 2 = mild cardio). Have arthritis in both knees (use cane) so the water lets me be somewhat active without pain. I'm having trouble controlling the carb desire. Candies not a problem, but love my chips! Suggestions welcome :smile:
  • mikesgram1
    mikesgram1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks to all of you who took the time to reach out to help me. I really appreciate it. I am 5 ft 4" and weigh 204. I have bad ankles, knees and back along with fibromyalgia and sleep apnea (and so much more, lol) I have some wonderful exercises for my back and for stretching, but need to step up my metablolism. I love walking, but around here the sidewalks have a slight angle and many places to trip and fall. It is a 20 min drive to the nearest mall. I started walking in place to music on my patio, and doing some country line dancing there, too. Probably the neighbors were amused, but who cares, lol! I forgot to mention I am hypoglycemic and have some balance issues. Biggest cause of weight gain is that I am addicted to tortilla chips. At night my will power goes out the window. I was a size 4 until I had cancer 5.5 years ago. With all my meds and lack of exercise, as well as my decision to stop smoking 5 years ago, I have piled on the pounds. I am so open to suggestions and I hope to be able to help all of you!
  • mikesgram1
    Options
    We share a similar problem! When you eat at night, are you hungry? Do you preplan some snacks? I find myself hungry about 1.5 hours after dinner. I have a snack, but then I munch on the chips. Why are we still buying them? I tried substituting a healthiers salty snack and went overboard on that also. Sounds like you are making good progress, keep it up!
  • mikesgram1
    Options
    Thanks so much! You are doing great! What is your best type of exercise? I used to make beaded jewelry, too. Would love to see pictures of yours. I've added you as a friend and am looking forward to supporting each other.
  • mikesgram1
    Options
    Everything you mentioned is so true. I have 3 grandchildren who are under 2 years of age. When my eldest grandchild was little, he practically lived at my house. I was able to help my daughter frequently. But I can't even lift the young grandbabies. My back just doesn't allow for it. I did find out that I have an unhealed stress fracture, and I am doing back exercises. Do you walk in the winter? Thanks for the great reply.
  • mikesgram1
    Options
    I also loved the tracker. It made me realize that I was way over on carbs in the morning. That explains why I've had so many hypoglycemic episodes. What do you eat for lunch and dinner? Please keep in touch.
  • mikesgram1
    Options
    I also loved the tracker. It made me realize that I was way over on carbs in the morning. That explains why I've had so many hypoglycemic episodes. What do you eat for lunch and dinner? Please keep in touch.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hello! My mother @Ravishing4e, is in a similar situation, new to MFP, trying to make healthy changes, and struggling. I suggest that you add her on MFP!
  • deansdad101
    Options
    Hi, 63 yrs, married female here (SoCal). Currently on 3 meds (Glimperide, Metformin, Victoza) which are helping keep sugars in the 110 average (morning check before breakfast). Primary desire is to get off meds so need to keep losing weight. Retired in 2012 weighing 410. Currently down to 383. This site was recommended to me by my water exercise instructor where I go twice a week for 2 hours (2 classes: Level 1 = range of motion and stretching, Level 2 = mild cardio). Have arthritis in both knees (use cane) so the water lets me be somewhat active without pain. I'm having trouble controlling the carb desire. Candies not a problem, but love my chips! Suggestions welcome :smile:
    Adore;
    Beating the addiction (and it IS an addiction) to carbs, sugars, or whatever else is sabotaging your efforts IS NOT easy but it IS doable.

Some are able to do it on "willpower" alone, some because they're just too damn stubborn to "give up", some are able to muster the "inner strength" to just tell themselves "it's only a couple weeks, I'll give it a go, I can beat this."

The good news is, for many, it really is "just a couple weeks" - not easy, and for many that "urge" for "my sweets" just never does go away (although there is very good medical evidence demonstrating that actual physiological changes that occur with proper adherence to known programs WILL reduce (if not eliminate) the urges.

But...if it were just "willpower" or "it's you own fault" we really wouldn't have the epidemic proportions of obesity we do, would we?

Simple fact of the matter is, "willpower" alone DOESN'T work for many food "addicts" just as it doesn't work those addicted to most other substances.

Keep doing what you're doing (you are off to a VERY good start and the results to date (with the exception of the "cravings") bear that out. Know that, for many, it's just a matter of time (assuming you are following a diet plan specifically targeted at the chip cravings issue).

How long it takes is a question for which there just is no simple answer - couple of weeks for some, months for others - every body is different is pretty much all there is to it.

If you do reach the point where "this just isn't EVER going to work for me" before you give up, consider employing a different diet approach. If you are currently utilizing one with low fat/low cals at it's base, research the alternatives (low carb/high fat or others e.g.). but MAKE NO CHANGES without first consulting with your Doc.

Dietitians, Trainers, or Swim instructors all may be the best intention-ed but also may come with their own built in biases and it's unlikely any one of them would know the complexities of your particular "issues" or the interactions any major diet change would have with your particular med "cocktail" - your Doc WILL. (or if s/he doesn't, FIND a new one).

What I'm about to propose for your consideration (again, ONLY with your Doc's approval) will likely bring the pitchforks out but so be it. As you are obviously aware, there are thousands of "drugs" out there, many of which actually do mean life or death for those with certain afflictions (T1D comes immediately to mind).

There are also any number of drugs designed not for "life long" consumption but rather to address (and treat) very specific, immediate heath issues.

The term "diet pills" is one that raises the hair on the back of the neck for many - and somewhat, rightly so (think FenPhen).
    What is not quite so "rightly so" though, is painting the entire definition of the words with the same brush - there ARE safe, and effective, pharmaceuticals (sounds much better if you don't call them diet pills but that's what they are).

They (some of them) are NOT "magic bullets", "fads", concoctions blended together in some guy's basement or Dr (Wizard) Ooze's backstage lab but rather drugs that have undergone years (decades in some cases) of very tightly controlled FDA clinical trials, involved thousands and thousands of trial participants, double blinded studies, and modifications to address concerns discovered along the long trial path.

Are they 100% side effect free, or 100% guaranteed "safe" for everyone?
    Nope, of course not, but neither are ANY of the meds you are currently ingesting daily OR are ANY other (well, maybe "almost any") pharmas.

Life is, for better or for worse, a balancing act - risks vs rewards, your decisions (with your Docs assistance and advice) always come down to "is it worth the possible risks?" - as it is with any diet pill as well.

As a result of the FenPhen debacle there were NO "diet" drugs approved by the FDA for over a decade - partly because the topic was just too politically charged and partly because none were submitted for approval that could meet the FDA's very high standards. There were, however, trials going on, and new, groundbreaking "discoveries" in the research labs that produced at least one drug with potential beyond most people's expectations.

About two years ago the FDA finally approved two "new" drugs. One based on completely new (previously undiscovered) science, and the other simply a slightly altered compounding of two existing generics.

In the meantime, thousands and thousands of Docs were prescribing (off label) various drugs (mainly generics) alone or in combination with others and achieving results albeit at the expense of the negative effects of the stimulants most employed.

The recently "FDA Approved" drug Qsymia (which will likely be the first to pop up when you search the googlemachine) is one such drug and the stimulant part of the equation (and related effects on the heart), is the primary reason I don't recommend it.

The second drug which obtained FDA Approval (Belviq, Lorcaserin HCI), however, has at its basis, a completely unique approach to diet (and urges which align closely with your own) that targets a very specific receptor previously unknown to play the critical part it does in the satiety chain of events your body is engaged in daily. Further, by targeting that specific receptor, many of the problems associated with the other meds (heart valve issues, and stimulant effects, e.g.) are eliminated or reduced to the point that they are very marginal at best (risk vs results).

First, do your OWN research (google is your friend or start at "belviq.com" (without the quotes).
    Everything from the complete trial results to labeling requirements (and all in between) is out there for the finding.

You didn't specifically say, but I'm guessing that preD or T2D is either an issue with which you are currently dealing, or one(s) at least of concern both to you and your Doc. An "arm" of the trial studies was directly aimed at uncovering the effects (and results) on those with diabetes and I would encourage you to look at (and make available to your Doc if s/he isn't familiar with) that section of the trial results data.

Table 8, on page 8 of the prescribing info data sheet, summarizes the results of the arm which includes T2D diabetics.
    Here's a link to that: (but look to the full study results pdf, available at belviq.com for complete details)
    http://tinyurl.com/n7ner66

From the basic info you provided, you absolutely ARE a candidate, BUT, I have not reviewed any interactions with your current meds that might be an issue (that's your Doc's job to do before he agrees with you (if you do) that a prescription is in order.

What I can tell you (purely from "anecdotal" experience) is that it DOES work, many (the vast majority of people with whom I'm acquainted) experienced few or NONE of the listed "side effects", and a very surprising number of users report as their #1 response to the question "what has impressed you most regarding your use of Belviq?" that, "I'm just NOT hungry" (despite being on cal restricted diets and exercising), and/or, "I just don't have the cravings that I had before."

It's NOT the "magic bullet" and certainly won't work just because you buy a bottle - it still takes work and commitment on your part (which shouldn't be an issue for you as you've already demonstrated) - basic diet and exercise.

BUT, for many, it's the next best thing (for them) - "It's willpower in a bottle" is a frequently heard statement by many users.

May, or may not be available as an option for you (because of "other" issues noted above) but if it is, (and if other methods tried, but not helping you achieve your goals), BELVIQ would be my "suggestion".

And, NO, I don't not "work for" Arena (the discoverer and manufacturer), Eisai (the US distributors), or any other company (retired) which would imply a financial interest on my part.

But that reminds me, I didn't check your bio, but for both you and any others that might be interested, Belviq is currently available only in the US, applications for approval in various other countries have been submitted and are currently under review.
  • Adoreenm
    Adoreenm Posts: 2
    Options
    Deansdad - Thanks for the info. My doctor is an endocrinologist and part of a research facility. But she considers my T2D so well controlled that she has not suggested any studies or new drug trials. In fact, I have been able to cut the Glimperide tablet in half. Primary goal, however, is to get rid of the Victoza...it costs an arm and 2 legs; not to me but to the insurer. And not knowing how the current insurance situation is going to shake out I want to start limiting any possible expenses I could incur.

As to my(our) chips craving...husband and I have simply stopped buying them when we go shopping. In the past, however, I used to sit down and eat a whole large bag of Doritos. I'm not going "cold turkey" on anything. If I feel the Doritos urge I get a small kid's lunchbox size then I'm good for the week or more. If we are having guests for a BBQ we buy the smallest bags possible so they are mostly gone when the guests are gone. I have actually been controlling it pretty well the last 4-6 weeks and have safely been under my calorie allocation for the day most of the time.