Anyone else still feel hungry after eating oatmeal?

Options
Okay, I have started to eat Steel Cut oatmeal and love them. The only problem is that after about an hour I feel hungry again (my stomach starts to growl). I have tried adding extras to it (like almond spread, nuts, etc), but it doesn't seem to help. I drink water, which helps for about 30 minutes, but it is back. I drink about 200 ounces of water a day so I know it isn't a dehydration thing.

Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Replies

• ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    When are you eating? If you are waiting too long to eat in the am, you could be too hungry for oatmeal to cut it. Or maybe you just need a snack an hour after eating. Nothing wrong with that if you plan for it.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    I don't know how much of the nuts you're adding, but you're on the right track. By adding some protein to it, or having some additional protein on the side it will keep hunger at bay longer because it takes a long time to digest.

I would try a side dish of fat free cottage cheese.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I had that problem, so I add 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (fruit has natural sugar for a kick), 1 tbsp chopped walnut (healthy fat to help keep you satisfied), 1 tsp cinnamon (keeps your blood sugar level), and I have 2 boiled eggs (good protein source) as well. That gives me a calorie total of 367.

I hope this helps!
  • rlf58
    rlf58 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but drinking coffee helps fill me up.
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I add a piece of toast with some peanut butter on it along with the oatmeal. It gives me a good mix of fast burn and slow burn carbs to get me through my morning workout--especially on cardio days.

Shawn
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem, but a nutritionist friend of mine recommmended I make the oatmeal with milk instead of water. That seemed to satisfy me for longer.
  • monica208
    monica208 Posts: 229
    Options
    I don't ear oatmeal often cause it doesn't fill me up.
  • KAM1500
    KAM1500 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I eat every 2-3 hours. I have breakfast around 5:30am before I leave the house for work and then eat about 8:30ish at the office. Today I had the oatmeal as my morning snack. It all depends on how my morning is going if I eat it first thing or as a snack.

I will try adding some additional protein.

Have a great day!!

:smile: