MOAR PROTIEN

Options
stephanieross1
stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
I need my diet to 40% protien, trying to get more lean and lowering carbs.. that part is easy but I cant seem to get my daily protien intake above 25%. (Haven't tried supplementing with protien shakes yet). Any great recipes/ suggestions?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Chicken, beef jerky, steak, pork chops, bacon, sausage
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    all of what he said. If you want foods with a high protein% then that's the way to go.

Protein shakes really do help though. Especially for high % like that.
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Chicken, steak, bacon, venison - any meat! Meat is the best. I believe eggs also bring the protein.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Tuna, egg whites and Salmon.
  • Ryan6691
    Ryan6691 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Chicken and beef jerky.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, many kinds of beans and legumes also.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Chicken turkey and greek yogurt are my go to if I want to add protein without adding in too much else. Beef jerky is also great but can get pricey. I personally stay away from tuna, but for different reasons. Honestly though, I find keeping the protein shake as an option is simplest. I don't use it every day, but it helps to fill in the gaps when I need it.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I too am struggling with this and have found that seafood shrimp, salmon, scallops have lower calories than beef and chicken with a higher percentage of protein
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    If the protein macro is that important, try planning around it.

Pick a protein...seafood, pork, chicken, beef, turkey, etc. and look up how much of it you would need to eat in order to hit your protein goal. Figure out how many calories that is, and see what's left before you decide on how you want to cook it and what you want to serve with it. Plan the rest of your meal around the protein. And don't forget that you can add extra with legumes and stuff, if you can afford the calories.

Large batches, like whole chickens, pork roasts, whole turkey breasts, etc. are great because you can cook the thing up and have your protein for a day or two, and plan several different ways to serve it, like wraps, sandwiches, in salads, etc.

For smaller things, like boneless chicken breasts, the slow cooker is a good way to cook a large amount at one time. Chicken is great slow cooked with salsa. Steak is awesome with sliced peppers and onions and a can of tomato soup.

Protein shakes can be a convenient solution, but they're never going to be as good as real food.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Try taco seasoned turkey, egg whites and a bit of rice for breakfast, it always helps me for a kickstart of protein. I also look for meals that have a 10%+ ratio of grams of protein to cals, so 500 cals should have 50g of protein.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary, I eat 35% protein ratio and rarely have issues hitting it.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I too am having trouble hitting my protein goal. Bought some protein powered today: one scoop 110 calories, 20 grams of protein. I added unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a frozen banana.
    Very good.