Sciatica/Back pain... Tips/Fav exercise moves?

Options
I was an over night freight/stock worker at a retail store here, and in 2008 'injured' my back. Come to find I have a couple bulging discs, pinching my sciatic nerve. I get sharp intense pain from my left foot all the way up, followed by numbing/burning if I exercise wrong, bend wrong, or over do it and put my back through too much pressure for too long. It ends up effecting my posture, then my over-all well feeling. Everything just un-alligns too often, and the awkward compensation my body does to relieve the pain ends up cause tense muscles elsewhere. Anyhow, I currently do the arm/leg extensions while on hands and knees, my best ATTEMPTS at push ups, some weights with arm extensions/twists/punches.... but many of those require too much of the wrong movements for too long... (says my body) I was wondering if anyone has similar issues, and if so what are your favorite ways to strengthen your back, without throwing it out!?

Replies

• mrsa1971
    mrsa1971 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI!

I too have been diagnosed with a bulging disk. I've done it all--physio, chiro, massage and now I'm doing acupuncture. I stopped going to the gym last September and have put a lot of weight back on. In June I went back to the gym but I only do the low cardio classes. I don't think weights are a good idea, yet. Everyone tells me that my core needs to strengthen to help my back. Funny-well, not really, but that's where I hold most of my weight---in my stomach. So for me the choice is to lose weight, strengthen my core, and ease the pressure on my back. Hope this helps! Good luck :)
  • AshleyLeelette
    AshleyLeelette Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    HI!

I too have been diagnosed with a bulging disk. I've done it all--physio, chiro, massage and now I'm doing acupuncture. I stopped going to the gym last September and have put a lot of weight back on. In June I went back to the gym but I only do the low cardio classes. I don't think weights are a good idea, yet. Everyone tells me that my core needs to strengthen to help my back. Funny-well, not really, but that's where I hold most of my weight---in my stomach. So for me the choice is to lose weight, strengthen my core, and ease the pressure on my back. Hope this helps! Good luck :)

I too have done all of those, up to pain block shots! Did the chiro and physical therapy as well. Have always been told to work my core also. BE CAREFUL! Women forget to work their back, and focus too much on strengthening their abs! You NEED to make sure you are doing upper/lower back specific exercises too, to pull you straight up into posture, and not just forward.
    I've struggled with this forever, and only really now started figuring it out.
    Hope it's alright to add you, think it would be great to keep up with ya! :)
  • mrsa1971
    mrsa1971 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi new friend :smile:

Shay (mrsa1971)
  • benchsquad65
    benchsquad65 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I was an over night freight/stock worker at a retail store here, and in 2008 'injured' my back. Come to find I have a couple bulging discs, pinching my sciatic nerve. I get sharp intense pain from my left foot all the way up, followed by numbing/burning if I exercise wrong, bend wrong, or over do it and put my back through too much pressure for too long. It ends up effecting my posture, then my over-all well feeling. Everything just un-alligns too often, and the awkward compensation my body does to relieve the pain ends up cause tense muscles elsewhere. Anyhow, I currently do the arm/leg extensions while on hands and knees, my best ATTEMPTS at push ups, some weights with arm extensions/twists/punches.... but many of those require too much of the wrong movements for too long... (says my body) I was wondering if anyone has similar issues, and if so what are your favorite ways to strengthen your back, without throwing it out!?

Try to do back extensions... any core work. Strengthen your whole body really.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant a few years ago, I tripped & fell, tweaking my back & hip. I did physio to try and strengthen my back (without working the abs too much, as I was about 7 mos along) and my FAVORITE exercise - and one I still do today - is referred to a quadrupled arm/leg raise or "airplaning." You get into crawling position and fully extend your left leg simultaneously with your right arm, then switch. This helped me SO MUCH!
    I hope you ladies find some great exercises that make you more comfortable!!!
  • donnafoley182
    Options
    Wow, your post was perfect timing for me. I just joined and although I have not had the MRI as yet, I have problems with sciatica, piriformis and everything you mentioned. The extra weight is now causing problems with my knees and I also have a hip rotation problem. This makes it very difficult to walk let alone exercise and of course I was in PT and was told to strengthen my core muscles. I don't mean for this sound horrible, but it was so good to see someone who has the same problems as me because the pain and overall feeling can be so frustrating and depressing. I've found that people in work and some family members just don't understand so finding your post was a blessing. I will be interested to find the answers too! Thank you :smile:
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I too had this problem and still do quite a bit, It burned down my legs so bad I ultimately had to get surgery on my lower back for 3 discs.

I went from a 10/10 pain to 5/10 and yes I can't do bent-over rows or deadlifts but I still do squats, bench, jogging, biking, dumbbell exercises and pushups.

The only thing that helped pre-surgery was laying on my stomach, keep my legs on the floor and push my top half up creating a big arch in my back like backwards.

Best of luck to you, I know that pain and it really sucks.

edit: After losing 110lbs it didn't help my remaining conditions, those are stuck with me for life.
  • donnafoley182
    Options
    I just noticed the date on my joining is wrong. I joined last year, but then didn't do anything and just joined back tonight. Does anyone know where I can correct the date?
  • AshleyLeelette
    Options
    When I was pregnant a few years ago, I tripped & fell, tweaking my back & hip. I did physio to try and strengthen my back (without working the abs too much, as I was about 7 mos along) and my FAVORITE exercise - and one I still do today - is referred to a quadrupled arm/leg raise or "airplaning." You get into crawling position and fully extend your left leg simultaneously with your right arm, then switch. This helped me SO MUCH!
    I hope you ladies find some great exercises that make you more comfortable!!!

That's my fav one to do now too! Glad I am on the right track!
  • donnafoley182
    Options
    Thank you! I will try the arching of the back. Also for your frankness about it being a condition you have to live with the rest of your life. This tells me, I best get used to it and do what I can.
  • AshleyLeelette
    Options
    I struggle with wondering whether people understand or not as well! Or did A LOT in the beginning. Don't worry though, in the back of your mind, you know what's true, and human nature, people don't believe what they can't see or feel.
    One of my biggest problems is that I can do basic normal day to day things, and do so often, for short periods of time no problem. I too, only rarely if ever, put myself in situations that I can't keep up due to pain. Because of that, I exclude myself from some social activity, and join during the tame get-togethers.
    UNFORTUNATELY! Anytime anyone (that doesn't live with me/deals with me on daily basis) is with me, they think I am functioning just fine, just like everyone else.
    Of course I am, we're sitting having lunch!, THAT, I can do. Haha!
    Anyhow, It's going to happen often, but you'll always know what your struggles are, and just chuck it up to the other people being under-informed ;-)
    Best of luck!!
    P.S. I STRONGLY suggest the "airplaning" move a commenter had mentioned. That's my fav move of choice to strengthen my back. Which is much needed in our cases!
  • AshleyLeelette
    Options
    I too had this problem and still do quite a bit, It burned down my legs so bad I ultimately had to get surgery on my lower back for 3 discs.

I went from a 10/10 pain to 5/10 and yes I can't do bent-over rows or deadlifts but I still do squats, bench, jogging, biking, dumbbell exercises and pushups.

The only thing that helped pre-surgery was laying on my stomach, keep my legs on the floor and push my top half up creating a big arch in my back like backwards.

Best of luck to you, I know that pain and it really sucks.

edit: After losing 110lbs it didn't help my remaining conditions, those are stuck with me for life.

Sigh, the most surreal, don't even want to know thing, is losing all the weight, taking all the steps, and still not being able to fix it. Though, I too thank you. It's something I know in the back of my mind, but you always keep that "what if" thought, until you can't anymore.
  • chelleanne71
    chelleanne71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I too have problems with Sciatica. I almost have complete feeling back in my foot from a pinched nerve. I like to lay on my back with my tush almost against the wall, put my feet on the wall and gently push with my feet. Causes my back to kind of roll up off the floor. Really helps stretch it out. I will also raise my upper body to make sort of a crunch, but since my lower back is off the floor, it's a lot gentler.
  • 4saw
    4saw Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Dont know if this will help but when i did them and did so consistently "Callenetics" helped with lower back pain. I think another trainer has done a more 'modern' version of callenetics. Jus a thought...Best wishes!
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Sigh, the most surreal, don't even want to know thing, is losing all the weight, taking all the steps, and still not being able to fix it. Though, I too thank you. It's something I know in the back of my mind, but you always keep that "what if" thought, until you can't anymore.

Everyone's different indeed, you may feel much better after losing weight.
  • stanthom
    stanthom Posts: 13
    Options
    I have back problems and had back surgery a few years ago. This site has by far the best information I have found. http://www.drbookspan.com/BackPainArticle.html

Best of luck to you on your journey!