What do you do for pasta?

Options
eric5577
eric5577 Posts: 65 Member
I used to eat it all the time, but not so much anymore. I eat it maybe 2x a month now with my spicy chicken and veggie pasta. I use Trader Joes Brown Rice & Quino pasta. Curious what others use out there. Thoughts??

Replies

• leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Uhh Barilla. It pretty much gets processed all the same way in the bod. The key is just to not eat a ton.
  • StrongAndLeanMama
    Options
    I'm trying to go grain-free so I just ordered a spiralizer to make zucchini and squash noodles. I have been using brown rice pasta. I would think the one with quinoa would help to boost the protein content.
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of spaghetti squash, and make fake lasagna with eggplant 'noodles". Keeps things interesting and I can eat more if I'm hungry.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I just avoid it. I haven't had it in well over a year now. Too afraid of the calories. I used to eat angel hair pasta with butter on it at least once a week for dinner.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    ExploreAsiaNoodlesLg.jpg

Explore Asia pastas are made from legumes like soy and mung beans, and they have a ton of protein. They're not quite the smooth texture I'm used to from pasta, but they're still a pretty good substitute.

Also, spaghetti squash. Also, I often splurge on regular pasta, because I love filled pastas like ravioli and tortellini. I just make sure there's plenty of veggies mixed in. A tortellini stir fry with chicken or steak and lots veggies with a little olive oil and garlic is an amazing meal. If you do it right, you can use less tortellini and still have a huge bowl full.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just realized I would have to go waaaay back in my food diary to see when I last ate pasta so, thanks for the dinner suggestion. I will be having whole grain spaghetti with extra garlicy sauce for dinner tonight. I do find the whole grain pasta to be more filling therefore I can feel full on a normal sized portion as opposed to a mixing bowl full.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    100g (uncooked) Wholeweat Penne, once a week (I cook it). Good sized portion 284 cals.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Mostly I eat Catelli Bistro veggie pasta because it's got potassium on the label (HBP for me, hubby is borderline). Hubby and I eat pasta once a week - 85g of pasta, home made sauce, meatballs, Italian cheese mix, garlic bread - had some tonight and it's so goo! I've started adding alphabet pasta, about 40g, to my salads for bulk. The groceries don't carry the corn tortillas and fried noodles I usually throw in salads.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I tried the whole wheat pastas and despised them. The Ronzoni Smart Taste pastas are actually very close to normal pasta in texture but with more fiber and protein.

But mostly, I don't eat a lot of pasta any more and almost never as an entree. If i do, I'll go fro a pasta I really love like gnocchi or tortellini.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I gotta share that someone posted a thread something like, "Pasta, How I Loathe Thee". After reading through the thread about all the negative things people said about pasta, I really wanted some pasta.

I ate pasta 2 days in a row. I don't have anything against whole grain pasta, in fact I have some in the cupboard and I do eat it. But I went for regular pasta, spaghetti specifically.

I do make sure I weigh out the pasta. But I found that at 1.8 servings it fit well into my daily food plan and I got as much as I wanted.

I make a homemade pasta sauce during the summer. I heat a tablespoon of olive oil to saute a bunch (at least a cup) of chopped onion, just till it is clear, not browned. To this I add summer garden grown tomatoes cut in chunks and simmer the mix down (bring to a boil and then lower the heat and stir, stirring more often as the mixture reduces) to a syrupy bright red sauce. I add a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes and kosher coarse salt to taste.

This sauce is sweet, delicious,, filling, and very healthy. No saturated fat.

I don't need fresh summer tomatoes. It is wonderful when made with whole peeled canned tomatoes. Just crush them up with your hands or cut them in chunks with a knife. I tear them in pieces with my hands over the pot.

I loved eating the pasta those 2 days. It fit well in my plan and I didn't eat just a single serving; I ate what I wanted. But I measured and weighed the pasta. It was so good. I'll be having pasta again.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I tried the whole wheat pastas and despised them. The Ronzoni Smart Taste pastas are actually very close to normal pasta in texture but with more fiber and protein.

But mostly, I don't eat a lot of pasta any more and almost never as an entree. If i do, I'll go fro a pasta I really love like gnocchi or tortellini.

I like the Ronzoni Smart Taste, too. Whole Wheat or "alternative" pastas taste weird to my family, so this is the next best thing. Tastes "regular" with fiber and protein is always a bonus. Oh, and just make a smaller portion. You don't need the whole plate filled with pasta if you fill the sauce with veggies (or veggies on the side). Smart portions.
  • eric5577
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot about the spaghetti squash and other. I actualy saw Sweet Potato pasta the other day. As for lasagna, I make a zucchini one and eggplant.
  • Front_Runner
    Front_Runner Posts: 175
    Options
    This Italian American gal could NOT live without pasta. Just watch the portions, eat slowly, choose your sauce wisely, and enjoy! I like Garofolo Pasta. Also - if I REALLY don't want to cook, but I'm craving gnocchi (I know - it's not pasta)... sometimes I'll get that Trader Joes Gnocchi alla Sorrentina & add some fresh veggies. It has a ton of sodium... BUT it's good once & a while & only has 170 calories/serving. Filling and decent for a frozen - super quick "pasta-like" meal!
  • eric5577
    Options
    I honestly cannot tell you the last time I had sauce....I try to stay away from it, or make sure it has no HFCS in it. I make my pasta with 1 bag of the Trader Joes pasta. Cut up chicken tenders, zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms. Add some small amount of butter to the pasta with some EVO, and a drained can of Tomatoes and green chillies. Thats it..
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot about the spaghetti squash and other. I actualy saw Sweet Potato pasta the other day. As for lasagna, I make a zucchini one and eggplant.

The spaghetti squash really isn't bad at all--just a lot of work.
  • atrammel414
    Options
    If you haven't tried spaghetti squash, give that a shot. Its delicious. My wife made some and it was great.
    I actually prefer it over regular pasta .
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I just ate pasta, nothing wrong with it if you have a serving.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I took it out of my diet for a while just because I couldn't portion it well. Now that I have a food scale I recently started craving it again. Just bought some Barilla penne today. I opted for the kind made with added veggies. I always l liked that stuff better anyway.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Less pasta

Same for me. Ive never been a fan of it anyway. Whenever I did have pasta even as a kid I was like the Wendys lady always screaming WHERES THE BEEF? Whenever I do have pasta I have it as a side dish. Its never the main part of my dish. Its not filling to me and I feel like I never ate anything about an hour or 2 later. Now pizza is a totally different story.