What do you do for pasta?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    ExploreAsiaNoodlesLg.jpg

Explore Asia pastas are made from legumes like soy and mung beans, and they have a ton of protein. They're not quite the smooth texture I'm used to from pasta, but they're still a pretty good substitute.

Also, spaghetti squash. Also, I often splurge on regular pasta, because I love filled pastas like ravioli and tortellini. I just make sure there's plenty of veggies mixed in. A tortellini stir fry with chicken or steak and lots veggies with a little olive oil and garlic is an amazing meal. If you do it right, you can use less tortellini and still have a huge bowl full.

I saw these today at the store and wondered about them. How do the calories compare to regular pasta?
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Pasta. Sigh. Love it. Might eat some 2-3 times a month now, at best.
    New favorite recipe. Italian "Drunken" Noodles with Spicy Italian Sausage.
    Find at food.com
    Uses pappardelle pasta but the ratio of pasta to veggies/sausage is small.
    So you get your pasta but not too much. Great flavor !
    Not sure out the "Drunken" part....calls for 1/2 cup white wine. ???
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Egg, flour, water and maybe a little salt. Run it through my pasta attachment on my KitchenAid, boils for a minute or two and enjoy with my favourite sauce. The only thing "wrong" with pasta is bad box pasta ( as in it doesn't taste as good).
    I just portion it and log it.

I do like spaghetti squash and eat it frequently with a tomato based meat sauce. It is very good that way but it is not, however, a substitute for pasta.
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    There's not much I won't do for pasta, but it still won't sleep with me T_T
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    ExploreAsiaNoodlesLg.jpg

Explore Asia pastas are made from legumes like soy and mung beans, and they have a ton of protein. They're not quite the smooth texture I'm used to from pasta, but they're still a pretty good substitute.

Also, spaghetti squash. Also, I often splurge on regular pasta, because I love filled pastas like ravioli and tortellini. I just make sure there's plenty of veggies mixed in. A tortellini stir fry with chicken or steak and lots veggies with a little olive oil and garlic is an amazing meal. If you do it right, you can use less tortellini and still have a huge bowl full.

Where do you buy these? They look good.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten-free pasta (coeliac) and I don't think it's especially different from normal pasta, I still enjoy it just as much, it's just more prone to breaking if you overcook it. I could live off pasta with My Dolmio tomato sauce and grated cheese, it's just a shame GF pasta is more expensive so I can't afford to buy it all the time, plus the calories and carbs are really quite high. If not for those things, I would stuff my face with it every day, lol.
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people on here view pasta as something bad? What myth did you all fall for to think you can't enjoy pasta? It's all about reasonable serving sizes. Here is a good recipe: http://www.ahl4u.com/pasta-mushroom-toss.html . It is 138 cals and 18 carbs for a 100g serving.

(had to fix my grammer)
    Interesting that you assume we all fell for a "myth".

You are right using "you all" was incorrect only 75% of the posts are saying pasta is evil and that you should use alternatives. So to the 25% I apologize for lumping you in with the rest.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I honestly cannot tell you the last time I had sauce....I try to stay away from it, or make sure it has no HFCS in it. I make my pasta with 1 bag of the Trader Joes pasta. Cut up chicken tenders, zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms. Add some small amount of butter to the pasta with some EVO, and a drained can of Tomatoes and green chillies. Thats it..

Sounds yummy, thanks
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people on here view pasta as something bad? What myth did you all fall for to think you can't enjoy pasta? It's all about reasonable serving sizes. Here is a good recipe: http://www.ahl4u.com/pasta-mushroom-toss.html . It is 138 cals and 18 carbs for a 100g serving.

(had to fix my grammer)
    Interesting that you assume we all fell for a "myth".

You are right using "you all" was incorrect only 75% of the posts are saying pasta is evil and that you should use alternatives. So to the 25% I apologize for lumping you in with the rest.
    who said it was "evil"?
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta. Usually whole wheat because I've started to prefer it, except in shapes where I can't get whole wheat and then I eat white. I just weigh it and cook it and toss it with vegetables like spinach or zucchini.

Tomorrow I'm having whole wheat pasta with chicken breast, and this sauce:
    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/five-minute-tomato-sauce-recipe.html

It is super easy, 95 calories for 1/2 a cup with no sugar, and has just a hint of lemon which I wasn't sure about, but ended up loving.

I'm serving it with a side of sauteed summer squash with garlic. It will be great!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    ExploreAsiaNoodlesLg.jpg

I saw these today at the store and wondered about them. How do the calories compare to regular pasta?

Here it is for the black bean spaghetti. Keep in mind this is black soybean, not what we think of as black beans.

black-bean-pasta-nutrition.png
  • Whiskey2206
    Whiskey2206 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I usually eat spaghetti squash but when I do eat pasta (which is about 2/month) I have regular spaghetti but no sauce...just lemon juice and pepper.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat pasta but for some reason, I do crave a simple pasta dish every now and then (maybe once every two months??) so I'd boil some and make an easy tomato mushroom pasta sauce:

1. Boil a bunch of ripe tomatoes until it forms loose skin.
    2. Drain, then return back to pot.
    3. Add sliced mushrooms, then some olive oil or butter, basil, salt, pepper, and sugar.
    4. Simmer until nice and thick.
    5. Add boiled pasta, mix, and eat.

Sometimes, I use canned tomatoes too, depending on what I have.

ETA: This simple pasta sauce makes great pizza sauce too! :heart:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Pasta tends to not agree with me, but I love it. So i'll either bite the bullet and buy a ticket to the procelain party... or... make ricotta gnocchi.

It has just enough flour in it to bind, but not so much that it aggravates my internals. It's pretty easy too. 1# ricotta, 4 eggs, 2T olive oil, salt, pepper, a little potato mash to give an initial binder, and then a few T of flour until it will hold enough to turn out and make into a roll. Slice and boil.

They're light, pillowy, and can hold added herbs really well.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I normally pair it with a nice homemade bolognaise and some garlic bread.
  • skjones0323
    skjones0323 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash. Someone mentioned they thought it was a lot of work, but I don't find it so. You just need a really sharp knife to cut it lengthwise, scoop out the seeds like a pumpkin, bake it for about 45 minutes and scoop out! Viola! I have a great homemade sauce recipe but usually don't have enough time, so I dress up my sauce with veggies and ground turkey or ground Italian breakfast sausage turkey!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Pasta tends to not agree with me, but I love it. So i'll either bite the bullet and buy a ticket to the procelain party... or... make ricotta gnocchi.

It has just enough flour in it to bind, but not so much that it aggravates my internals. It's pretty easy too. 1# ricotta, 4 eggs, 2T olive oil, salt, pepper, a little potato mash to give an initial binder, and then a few T of flour until it will hold enough to turn out and make into a roll. Slice and boil.

They're light, pillowy, and can hold added herbs really well.

Oooooohhhhh....I need to try this!!
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just ate pasta, nothing wrong with it if you have a serving.

completely agree
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I had some awesome chicken and mozzarella ravioli today. We made a sauce with olive oil, garlic, fresh shredded basil and crumbled bacon. It was amazing!
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Vegetti.... turns zucchini into noodles! I love it!

I don't own a Vegetti but I have a julienne peeler that does a pretty decent job although not as cool as this gadget.
    I actually like the zucchini noodles better than pasta but I've never been a pasta lover anyway.
    I like the zucchini better than the spaghetti squash but the squash will do in a pinch.