Maintaining Muscle with lifting the same size dumbbells...

Options
I'm not sure how to phrase it and couldn't find an answer by Googling it.
Here is my situation -
I'm trying to lose weight/body fat and I want to maintain the muscle I have by lifting weights. I have a few different sets of dumbbells (10#, 15#, 20#, 35#). Can I maintain my muscle by using the same weight every workout? I know if you reach a certain number of reps, you should up the weight, but I don't have that option. Any advice/resource links are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    bump
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Not an expert, but I think it's possible as long as you keep increasing your reps over time. But it's probably not ideal because once you grow out of those weights, you're going to have to do a ton of reps to keep the same intensity.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    It all depends on the kind of exercise that you are doing. You won't always have to use heavier weights. There's a lot more than curls and rows....just hitting different angles on some exercise will make a world of difference.
    Check this out: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout/exercise.html
    They have a great library of exercises with videos about how to do them with correct form.

Train safe!
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You can increase your volume of your current exercises by doing more sets or change up your exercise program to include different movements for the muscle groups your working. I generally change my lifting program up every 3 months

Our bodies become very adaptive to the same routines so it's good to change them periodically plus it helps with becoming bored with them as well.
  • Jake_82
    Jake_82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to phrase it and couldn't find an answer by Googling it.
    Here is my situation -
    I'm trying to lose weight/body fat and I want to maintain the muscle I have by lifting weights. I have a few different sets of dumbbells (10#, 15#, 20#, 35#). Can I maintain my muscle by using the same weight every workout? I know if you reach a certain number of reps, you should up the weight, but I don't have that option. Any advice/resource links are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

May be worth reading up on body weight exercises. Your body will weight more than the weights you have and you can get one hell of a full body workout at home just using things like chairs, pull up bars etc.
  • TrainSweatEatSleep
    TrainSweatEatSleep Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    eventually you'll want more in the future

save up money and buy heavier free weights in the future