Spaghetti Squash instead of spaghetti noodles??

Options
anharrison
anharrison Posts: 74 Member
I've heard that spaghetti squash will 'peel' like the noodles and you can incorporate them with spaghetti to lower carbs and calories. Has anyone done this and how did it turn out (taste)?

Replies

• agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bump...I've always wanted to try it but fear the reaction from my carb loving family...
  • jessimacar
    Options
    It's the strangest thing to see it turn to "spaghetti". Lol.

I cut a squash in half, baked it, and then took a fork to the flesh, to make it like spaghetti. It isn't the same consistency as spaghetti, though I may have not cooked it long enough. But it tastes amazing!! I loved it with some tomato sauce on it, and a little parmesan.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I've been eating spaghetti squash instead of pasta for years now. It took a bit to get used to as I really didn't like squash but now I don't miss eating pasta at all. I went *cold turkey* and never mixed it with pasta.
    I top it with marinara sauce, mushrooms, zucchini and onions and sprinkle 2T of parmesan on top. Yummm.

After you cook it, it does indeed scape out like strings of spaghetti.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think you have to go into this looking for an interesting and tasty new dish rather than trying to replace pasta in your spaghetti recipes. I like it, but I did have to adjust my expectations a bit as I was expecting a more spaghetti-like texture and flavor.

--Carter
  • Mint_Berry_Crunch
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is yummy. The inside is threads, like spaghetti. I wouldn't want to put marinara on it, but some ICBINB spray with some seasoning will make a very nice side dish. Mmmm.....

Another great (and closer to the real deal) substitute for spaghetti is shirataki noodles. They are actually a vegetable rather than a noodle, but they feel very much like noodles, whereas the spaghetti squash is a little more gritty than real spaghetti.
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    i LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE spaghetti squash... if we have it we always use it as noodles.. it's so yummy!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yep!
    It's not exactly the same, but it will certainly be a great substitute! I actually like it better than pasta. I cut mine in half, scrape out the seeds and strings, poke a few holes in the top of the shell and microwave in a dish with a little water in the bottom for 8 to 10 minutes and viola I have a substance much like spaghetti but with more nutrition, flavor and many many fewer calories.

I've eaten it a few ways- under homemade sauce and a little cheese, mixed up with some sliced zuchinni, olive oil, spinach, and parmesan, or by itself with salt and pepper.
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is delicious and I replace spaghetti noodles with it all the time. With the marinara sauce and some parmesan it totally hits the spot for me. However, it does not have the same consistency as wheat noodles...so as long as you don't expect it to, you might just find yourself a new favorite :D
  • Mint_Berry_Crunch
    Options
    You guys are making me crave spaghetti squash, LOL
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I just tried it for the first time last week. I LOVE it! I put some mushroom marinara on it and a sprinkle of parmasean cheese! YUMMO!!!!

I'm going to the store today to buy more!
  • anharrison
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm really trying to incorporate more veggies in my diet (veggies aren't my favorite). I'm making it for supper tonight so I'm crossing my fingers. It sounds like it's very common for several of you so hopefully it'll be a new, tasty, healthy way to enjoy pasta.
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    bump! can't wait to make spaghetti squash, yum!
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE spaghetti squash. I actually like the taste BETTER than pasta noodles. However, the kids don't like it as much as noodles. The other drawback I have found is that spaghetti with pasta noodles gets better as leftovers...not so with squash. I make a very meaty, tomatoe sauce that is loaded with other vegtables (mushrooms, greeen peppers, onions, celery). VERY TASTY!!!!
  • aspenvale
    aspenvale Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love it! Sometimes my husband and I actually use spaghetti squash as a substitute for rice in stir-fry and curry recipes if we have not met our veggie intake for the day. Butter chicken over spaghetti squash? Not a bad combination.
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    another good idea is to use the peelings from a summer squash and zuchinni . Peel them until you reach the seeds, then chop up the seeded pieces and add them to your sauce. The peelings however, throw in a skillet with olive oil and sautee on high heat. These are what I use in place of noodles. Never tried spaghetti squash. PS - You'll need about 2 each of summer squash and zuchinni to make enough for about 2 people.
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm really trying to incorporate more veggies in my diet (veggies aren't my favorite). I'm making it for supper tonight so I'm crossing my fingers. It sounds like it's very common for several of you so hopefully it'll be a new, tasty, healthy way to enjoy pasta.

How was it? I've kicked around the idea of making it but have been a little chicken.
  • seamonky
    Options
    I use tofu spaghetti noodles or miracle noodles. I prefer them over the spaghetti squash. Plus I feel like I am truly getting a pasta fix
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I just picked up a spaghetti squash at the market, I've yet to cook it. may do that tonight!
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Where can you find it?? I've looked for it at several diffent grocery stores here in OK and I can't find it any where!!
  • anharrison
    Options
    I live in a small, rural area and I've found spaghetti squash at Hy-Vee. (I'm not sure if you've heard of that.) It's not the most common veggie but I do not have to go to a specialty store by any means. Any larger, commercialized grocery store that has a variety of veggies may have it. I know my grocery store stocks it occasionally-not something that is always carried.