New Workout Routine and ALWAYS Hungry!!

I recently started working out 4-6 times a week. I am following Kayla Itsines workout guide. I love it but all of a sudden I am ALWAYS hungry! I generally eat pretty healthy but I basically binge eat when a meal comes around because I am so hungry. I end up going over my calories and I feel pretty bloated and awful afterwards? I have always led a very active lifestyle but have never come across being so hungry all of the time. I am definitely gaining weight and not losing it like I want to.

Anyone else go through this when they first started seriously working out?

Replies

• blaccoffee
    blaccoffee Posts: 26 Member
    I recently started working out 4-6 times a week. I am following Kayla Itsines workout guide. I love it but all of a sudden I am ALWAYS hungry! I generally eat pretty healthy but I basically binge eat when a meal comes around because I am so hungry. I end up going over my calories and I feel pretty bloated and awful afterwards? I have always led a very active lifestyle but have never come across being so hungry all of the time. I am definitely gaining weight and not losing it like I want to.

Anyone else go through this when they first started seriously working out?

How large is your carb intake?
    I lift 3 days a week and do HIIT on rest days and I've noticed personally that when I don't get enough protein and fat I tend to feel hungrier. Usually a can of tuna before my workout seems to keep me from binge eating afterward.
  • tomee638
    tomee638 Posts: 64
    Maybe right after a workout, try to work in a protein shake. I do one with greek yogurt, almond milk, protein powder, and some fruit for flavor and quick digesting carbs. It's very filling and holds me for a few hours until I'm ready to eat again.

As for the rest of the day, what is your calories set for in a day? Maybe you're too low and are you hitting your protein, carb, fat numbers for the day? If you're eating more complex carbs and proteins like chicken and turkey, I can't imagine how you would still be hungry unless your number is pretty low.

Friend request sent, I'd love to help out further where I can.

- Josh
  • Holisticallylivin
    Holisticallylivin Posts: 8 Member
    Increase your protein intake, eggs, chicken breast, those types of things. Also, don't fill in on carbs too much unless its like whole grain pasta or something, because you will be hungry literally 2 hrs afterwards and therefore causes the binging.

I have definitely learned my lesson in eating too many calories. Also, I just read online about meal ideas with protein in it and of course sometimes, you have to alter it to make it healthier.

I don't know if those powder products help, since I decided to stay away from them.
  • shanesemathis
    shanesemathis Posts: 25 Member
    When you are burning lots of calories daily, it is natural for your body to want you to eat to replace those calories that you burned. I don't know how many calories you are consuming and burning daily, but you should really not ever feel like you are starving when counting calories. The calories that you take in are like fuel for your body and if you're burning a large amount of them, your body will be crying out for you to put some of those calories (your body's energy) back into it. Athletes and people who physically train for a living probably eat 2-3x more than the average person per day. The point is to have a deficit that allows you to lose 1-2 lbs per week (lose the weight slowly but surely) and work out when you can. This way, you don't feel like you're absolutely starving after a workout. I also recommend buying a device that allows you to calculate how many calories you're burning per workout (if you can afford it). I own a Polar ft4, which is about $65 on Amazon and it was the best decision I could have made as a calorie counter. It allows me to see how many calories I'm allowed to eat after a workout so that I can control myself and my calorie intake more efficiently. Good luck and I hope you found this helpful :-)
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Whenever I would have an intense workouts multiple times a week I would ALWAYS be hungry which would counter act my weight loss goals. Recently, I have found that a protein shake(25g powder, 1-2 large bananas, hand full of strawberries, 300-350ml skim milk) filled me up for hours, sometimes most of the day. I would have it around 2pm and only be a little hungry by 10pm. This is strange because usually it takes a lot to make me feel full. I like this because it is low cal, keeps me full, and replaces a lot of what I would lose when I was able to work out regularly.
  • jrowell12014
    jrowell12014 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm on the KI plan and the same thing happened to me! I feel ravenous after those workouts and by the time I get home in the evening, I'm ready to devour everything in sight. I used to workout on an empty stomach but I have recently started eating a small snack about 30 min before the gym. It helps me power through the workout and not over eat later.