Going to the gym before or after work

Options
I have to be at work at 8:00am. Should I workout before or after work?

Replies

• dailylauren
    dailylauren Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have recently been going before work. (I have to leave my house 7:30) so I usually set my alarm to 4:30am and make it out by 5:00 in the morning. I can't cook to make something quick before I go so I don't wake anyone up. I came to conclude that I had way more energy when I worked out in the mornings. I go to work feeling confident and strong :wink:

Give it a go and try it out one day it won't hurt. After work I tend to be lazy and want to go home.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Do you take a shower at the gym or go home to shower? Should I bring my makeup to the gym with me?
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It depends on when you have the most energy. I like to go in the afternoon/evening because that's when my energy is highest and it gives me a chance to have a shower and relax post-workout rather than rushing to get everything done.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Like Dailylauren, I have to be at work by 8 AM. On weekdays, I go every morning at 5:45 until 6:40. I usually make my breakfasts for the week on Sundays and refrigerate them. As soon as I return from the gym (it's upstairs in my building), I put breakfast in the oven to warm it up while I take a shower. By the time I'm done with my shower, it's warm and ready to eat. Typically it's slice of spinach mushroom quiche. It's taken some time to coordinate it to a tight schedule but I'm able to make it work for me.
  • pookiepotpie
    pookiepotpie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm usually not awake enough to go to the gym before work but my hubby and I go after we both get off work in the evening. . and when we are finished at the gym we can then come home and fix a nice healthy meal for dinner and relax together...
  • ecphillips1286
    ecphillips1286 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have found that going at about 4:30am before work makes me more focused throughout the day and gives me more energy. It all really depends on what works best for you. Try them both and see how you feel.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Prior to having kids I always worked out in the morning. I packed my gym bag with everything I needed for work (clothes/shoes/makeup/etc) the night before. I would wake up at 6 am roll out of bed, put my gym clothes on, brush my teeth and head head out the door.

I always felt better getting my workout done for the day first thing in the morning. No excuses and nothing to push it off my schedule.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    It really varies for each person. When you have the most energy during the day. Whether working out gets your blood pumpin' or wipes you out. Working out actually wipes me out, so I personally would go after work.
  • ecphillips1286
    ecphillips1286 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Whatever you prefer. How can a bunch of other people tell you when you should work out. It's you who is doing it.

Pretty much. Everyone had their own preference. Just gotta find yours op
  • TrenAbe
    TrenAbe Posts: 26
    Options
    I do my cardio before work and my strength training after. I like to start and end the day in the gym but that's just me.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I would love to workout in the morning, but I just can't get to bed early enough no matter how hard I try. So I workout after work.
  • asianrunner
    asianrunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I always try to workout before work. I work with kids and I'm usually pretty tired by the end of the day!