30 pound weight loss

Options
Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice, I would like to lose at least 30 pounds (I am 5'1 and about 180 pounds) which is really unhealthy for someone my size and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if 4 months is a good time frame to lose 30 pounds? And if you have lost weight already, what helped you and what did you do? Thanks so much! :) I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin again because I'm not used to being this unhealthy, I am 16 years old and a senior in high school I used to be 130 pounds but I gained a lot of weight from taking the depo shot I would like to get down to 130 again but I want to start off smaller for now.

Replies

• karinaxoxokarina
    karinaxoxokarina Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When i gained 20 pounds, i lost it by drinking green smoothies. It's literally the best! You make one for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A lot of people lose 5-10 pounds the first week. and the best part is, after a week, just slowly start eating whole food again and you won't gain the weight back!

Here is a link!

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/12/26/green-smoothie-recipe/

I don't like to add protein powder cause it holds you from losing more weight but having one scoop is great!

After that, I went on a vegan diet…well mostly vegan haha. I would make paleo pizza with califllour pizza crust and fresh veggies (so good) or make veggie indian curry, or if i wanted meat, i'll eat fish or chicken (grilled) with a variety of steamed seasoned veggies! So good.

And the best part of the green smoothie diet, you feel so energetic and so healthy! Plus, it helps cut those cravings.

Oh! And don't be afraid to have a bite or two from a pastry or your favorite sweet every once and a while. it doesn't hurt.

Also! Drink 6 cups of green a tea! Its great for the body and speeds up your metabolism!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    OP, I've lost about 30 pounds and have about 5 more vanity pounds I'm working off. I took a lot longer than 4 months, but I didn't have a lot to lose to begin with and made a conscious decision to be slow about it so that I could maintain muscle mass as I went. There is a LOT of advice out there, but the link I'm posting below contains the information that has worked best for me, and is considered by many successful people on this site to be one of the best overall guides for how to lose fat and get the health and body you're after.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

ETA: did not see a reference to age in your OP, at sixteen you need to be using sparkteens, the nutritional data is NOT programmed for someone your age on this site. Sixteen is still growing and your body has different needs than those of an adult.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It is great that you want to try, but I think that 30 pounds in 4 months is unrealistic if you want to keep the weight off in the long term. All of the quick methods I tried when I was your age with extreme calorie deprivation and no real food, never lasted, and when I gained weight back I usually added a few extra.

Exercise helps me feel more comfortable in my skin, improves my posture and my mood, and it helps me burn food better so I can eat a little more. When I was your age I was too shy to sweat in front of other people. That was dumb. Why didn't I just enjoy my body changing for the better?

With all of the debate about vegan vs. high protein vs. every other method, I don't hear MFPers saying their diet was wrecked by too many vegetables. I've been more successful when I eat them 2 or more times/day.

Good luck, add me as a friend if you want an aunt.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    When i gained 20 pounds, i lost it by drinking green smoothies. It's literally the best! You make one for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A lot of people lose 5-10 pounds the first week. and the best part is, after a week, just slowly start eating whole food again and you won't gain the weight back!

Here is a link!

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/12/26/green-smoothie-recipe/

I don't like to add protein powder cause it holds you from losing more weight but having one scoop is great!

After that, I went on a vegan diet…well mostly vegan haha. I would make paleo pizza with califllour pizza crust and fresh veggies (so good) or make veggie indian curry, or if i wanted meat, i'll eat fish or chicken (grilled) with a variety of steamed seasoned veggies! So good.

And the best part of the green smoothie diet, you feel so energetic and so healthy! Plus, it helps cut those cravings.

Oh! And don't be afraid to have a bite or two from a pastry or your favorite sweet every once and a while. it doesn't hurt.

Also! Drink 6 cups of green a tea! Its great for the body and speeds up your metabolism!

You are recommending a fad diet to someone who is under the age of 18? Seriously?

OP. First, the calorie recommendations for this site are for adults. Your body is still growing and has different nutritional needs that for someone who is done growing. Sparkteen.com is one site that gets recommended here often. I would strongly suggest you speak with your parents and doctor about seeing a registered dietician. They can make sure that you are getting the appropriate nutrients that your body needs at this stage. You absolutely need protein (please, do not listen to the above post, regarding the smoothies). You also need healthy fats from a variety of sources. These things are important for the proper development of your body.

I hope you will get information from a qualified source, rather than here. :flowerforyou:

Edited to specify which post I was referring to not listen to.
  • mrsbunbunbun
    mrsbunbunbun Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What works for some people may not work for everyone. Weight management is all about the numbers and knowing what to shoot for. Calories in, calories out. You *could* lose 30 lbs in 4 months, but it might not come off that quickly either, depending on so many variables. It may be better not to put too strict a timeframe on it because A. instead of celebrating your success (I logged for a week straight! I lost 10 lbs! etc.) you've got that pressure that sometimes can make a person downplay their success (Ya, and I was SUPPOSED to be down 15 by now!) It's not the most constructive habit of mind to get oneself into. It's soo so important to Stay Positive! :D B. One you "hit your goal" from potentially pushing too far too fast, you may have a rebound because you lost the weight in a way that wasn't really maintainable in the first place. So eat less and move more, and you should see SOME change.

I used the ap to calibrate my calories. I just set it to the lightly active setting, goal to lose 1 lb/wk and exercise 3x 20min/week. I started off at 3x45min and I had a trainer show me some workouts that burned a lot of calories, but since we have some big family stuff and it's been hard to get out to the gym, I thought 3x 20min is more realistic, and I mostly just get it by walking. The MAIN THING is that I stick under my calories for the week, and most days out of most weeks. I may have a few days for whatever reason I may go over here and there, like a holiday or dinner out, but I enter absolutely everything, no matter what, and usually it's not too tough to eat less the next day and let it balance out.

Concentrate on lean protein, minimal dairy (except raw or Greek yogurt or the occasional meat/cheese snack) No wheat, rice, grains, white carbs - MOST days/weeks. I would have a few weeks I would eat homemade banana bread, brown rice or quinoa (always measuring out a 1/2c, 3/4c or 1 c portion, NOT eyeballing, until you get a better feel for what real portions look like), but I noticed I lost weight slower those weeks, so it made me want to stick to lower carb. You get carbs from vegetables, fruits and lots of times in your seasonings without even realizing, so you will still get enough carbs, most cases.

I also adjusted my Macros goal in the custom settings because I thought 50%Carbs, 20/30 was way too high carb for me. I also found a really great link in here for how to use your lean muscle mass to calculate what your body needs for Macros, but you may have better results aiming for 30% or under carbs, 35 fat/35 protein. Or even 40 carb, 30 fat/30 protein, whatever seems maintainable for you without too much trouble. I have been finding maintaining 25% carbs difficult long-term, so for me, aiming for 30% or less makes more sense.

Find foods you like hat help keep you in the right ranges for overall calories, and enough protein/fat/carbs, and try to keep it simple. I eat mostly the same stuff every day, with some variations like what veggies go in my eggs or what meat I have on the side, and different things at dinner, but mostly I eat a lot of the same stuff because A. I like it and B. it keeps it simple so I don't have to think too much when I'm hungry, I know I have a few things that are "go-to" snacks, breakfasts or lunches.

Good luck! And be kind to yourself, no matter what. :)
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Upping my exercise and counting calories ( measuring too ) is what worked for me

Cardio and weights both have their place

Food scales and a HRM and you are set

It's important that you don't over estimate your calorie burns or under estimate your fuel consumption

good luck, possible to lose that much in that time frame but will depend on you
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    have you talked to your doctor about a healthy weight goal? or perhaps another option than depo since that causes weight gain for you?

please work with your doctor to establish a healthy calorie intake/exercise program. growing bodies have much different needs than fully matured bodies.