Losing Motivation, Any Advice?

Options
Hello everyone,

I have been on and off from mfp for a while now. Honestly I want to lose weight so I can be healthy again and feel better about myself. But to my lack of motivation I have just gotten lazy.

I'm asking for your advice to what I could do to motivate myself to lose my extra weight. I'm at 220lbs and I feel ashamed and disappointed in myself that I have allowed myself to get this heavy in such a short amount of time from when I was at 165lbs in 2009.

I have some ideas as to what could motivate me. But opinions helps as well

My ideas would be to have a picture of myself when I was slimmer on my phone as my wallpaper.
Another would be pictures of people who have made fun of my weight.

Also I'm not going to school till October nor do I work. So it hurts a lot more to my weight and makes me even lazier.
What activities could I do to achieve my goal.

I hope someone or some people will be able to help me

Thanks!

Replies

• queenierz
    queenierz Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hey there. It's okay; my motivation is also on-and-off during the weeks. Sometimes I wake up and I feel so excited, and sometimes I feel totally like giving up. Motivation can be different for each of us, so I'm just going to list out the possibilities you can try!
    For me, I look at the success photos of my goal. Hehehe.
    Another is, just take a deep break, and start the workout routine. (Once I am able to start, I can't stop. It's like I gottta finish this!).
    Eat healthy, and you will feel like you don't want to ruin your sacrifices for food.
    Ask your friends to join you for a jog or workouts; it's better when you do it with a group!
    Find some motivating music
    AT least do like a 20 minute walk/small jog each day- helps with maintaining your discipline.
    Don't rush yourself or do something that is way too difficult yet- you'll slowly adapt again :)
    hope this helps!
  • ladym8204
    ladym8204 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I too lack motivation at times. Just last night I read this great advise I am going to try. Every time you exercise give yourself a token. Save up your tokens to earn things that you cant have unless you exercise. 3 token=this reward, 5 tokens=this reward, 10 tokens=something else. I tend to not buy myself new stuff because I have 4 kids and want to spend money on myself, so my rewards will me buying myself something new. (haven't decided what yet)

I can't do big long exercises....yet, so I try to do smaller ones. 10-15 mins. Then I'm not dying from working out and will do more the next time. I have an app on my phone called sworkit. It syncs with mfp. I don't think it's the best exercise program ever, but it helps me to keep moving and I can see it on here.

Having friends on here helps me too, so feel free to add me if you like. I love seeing everyone's progress and it is helping to motivate me.

Good luck on your journey!!
  • derykisonder
    derykisonder Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind and motivating words. Honestly I have a routine setuped that I believe that I can do.
    Since I'm neither working or going to school right now my routine is kind of set on a 3 hour basis

I will eat every 3 hours. Small portions of course each time but I would stop at 5pm
    After each portion I would try to go for a walk. I want to try and do the 10,000 steps a day routine. I believe it could help me a lot. It's what I did before. I walked at least two hours a day. An hour at the gym and eating right. Back then my motivation was revenge towards people who hurt me dearly. I don't want to rely on that again because I know it doesn't last. I wanna be able to do this for myself.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It's really hard when you don't have work/ study to distract you from food. But you can do it. Get as active as you can manage. Start small, walking 15 min then increase the time and intensity as you get fitter. Spend time looking up healthy recipes and take time to plan and prepare your food.
    Track your exercise and let the improvement be a motivator. Also track your measurements so if you hit a plateau with weight you don't get discouraged.
    I also find having friends help. They make me want to stay under my calorie goal and not have that extra cookie! Feel free to add me if you'd like.

You can do this!!!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Mine has wavered of late, due to surgery and couldn't regain it however I then registered for a marathon in October so I've got no excuse but to find motivation or I'll fail and failure simply isn't an option.
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Having friends to help encourage you will definitely help. Setting some goals for yourself might also be a good idea. I would encourage you to set some small goals, but also some larger ones as well. Feel free to add me for encouragement.