Weekend binged

Options
Hi everyone,
I feel really ashamed and sick of trying lose weight/fat over and over again. I work really hard all week and eat right but when it´s weekend I just eat everything what I find and can´t stop eating. Cheese, butter, marmite,chocolate,cookies..you know it. Then I know that all my hard work was useless and I will have to start again. All that binging is ruining my life. It´s taking me about 3 years now when I started using food for my comfort. All lost 3 years when I saw myself overweight and basically gained actual weight after started binging. I´m not overweight but sick of it. I really work so hard in the gym but can´t see any changes. I do want to stop it but as the weekend comes I just use excuses to skip my workouts, eat more because I deserve it and then finish with binging and feeling crappish.
I´m 174cm tall and weigh about 68kg I suppose. I don´t weigh myself because those numbers on the scale makes me behave in an anorexic way which I don´t want. (weighing myself every day, rely on those numbers, stop eating totally...) I do try to eat 1200kcal which is not a problem during the weekdays but over the weekend I consume really more than 6000kcal :( I don´t even log it in :( my goal is to have 60kg. Please help :( my breakfast started with cereals and milk, then wholemeal bun with marmite,butter,cheese, few teaspoons of jam and 2 cookies :( what can I do ? No confidence at all.

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. Would you be able to include a few small treats into your weekday diet so that you don't have an "all or nothing" way of eating? As someone who often used to binge eat, I know it is probably a case of needing to address the underlying reasons for comfort/binge eating before you are able to control your eating. Hope you get sorted soon.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Look at your total calories for the week.
    Say you need 14000 calories in a week to maintain your weight, and your eating now is as follows:
    Monday - Friday: 1,200 x 5 = 6,000
    Saturday - Sunday: 4,000 x 2 = 8,000
    Total: 14,000
    No more deficit.

Now you decide to up your daily calories and make smarter choices in the weekends:
    Monday-Friday: 1,800 x 5 = 9,000
    Saturday: 2,100
    Sunday: 1,900
    Total: 13,000
    Deficit!

So look at weekly totals. If upping daily calories stops you from over eating, you could end up with a lower weekly total.
    info taken from this page: http://www.katwhitfield.com/2014/06/11/what-does-eat-more-to-lose-weight-mean/
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    To start with you don't eat enough!
    With your stats you should be at 1800 with a moderate physical activity - more depending on how much you train.
    Additionally, why are you not logging what you eat over the week end?
    Eating boiled broccoli and grilled chicken or 2 fried eggs and a marmite toasty with cheese won't make any difference to your goal... it is still calories formed by macros.
    Track everything you eat - it will eventually give you some self-discipline on the portions you eat!
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Look at your total calories for the week.
    Say you need 14000 calories in a week to maintain your weight, and your eating now is as follows:
    Monday - Friday: 1,200 x 5 = 6,000
    Saturday - Sunday: 4,000 x 2 = 8,000
    Total: 14,000
    No more deficit.

Now you decide to up your daily calories and make smarter choices in the weekends:
    Monday-Friday: 1,800 x 5 = 9,000
    Saturday: 2,100
    Sunday: 1,900
    Total: 13,000
    Deficit!

So look at weekly totals. If upping daily calories stops you from over eating, you could end up with a lower weekly total.
    info taken from this page: http://www.katwhitfield.com/2014/06/11/what-does-eat-more-to-lose-weight-mean/

Could probably make sense in a weight watchers world...
  • nusiax
    nusiax Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have learned to log everything. I just started two months ago. And lost almost 7KG. The first month I did not change my eating habits but added exercise. The second month I started to make small changes in my eating habits. Third month I lowed my calorie intake from the MFP recommended, after discussing with my doctor.

Here is the thing. I logged everything. Would be out for the day with friends and binged like you are talking about. But came home at night and logged it, and I was surprised I was not that much over my daily MFP recommendation.

But what I noticed, I was making better choices in my binges as well. And not eating as much as I thought.

when I started logging my food. I was so surprised. I learned foods that I love, are really not that bad. and some foods I thought would be healthier were way bad.

Example I like McDonalds and KFC. I was like Holy Crap the calories in 9 chicken bites. But a happy meal was only 500 calories. And the funny thing is I am satisfied with a happy meal. It is weird.

But here is the routine I went on. MFP recommended 2200 calories a day for slow weight loss based on my activity. After two months, I lowered my calories to 1800 on MFP. but made a mental range of 1800 to 2000 calories. I try to stick to the 1800. But if I go to 1860 or 1910, no big deal under 2000. But if I go over 2000 I look and evaluate what I have eaten. And how I can make a better choice the next time.

It is weird, after I few weeks, not even thinking about what I eat, I rarely go over my 2000 limit. I do go over the 1800 several times a week.

What I am trying to say, is do not be afraid to log your food, or feel bad. You make eat over you daily or weekly limit. But you are also learning from your choices. And that helps a great deal more than being so strict and hard on yourself.

The other thing I do is I only weigh myself at the end of each month. Then I do not have the little fluctuations that drive so many people mad. Because it took me years to get as heavy as I am now, 132KG. I started at near 140KG. And it is not going away over night.

Patience and faith in yourself is all you need and some love and support.
  • scifibaby
    scifibaby Posts: 1
    Options
    Why dont you up your caloies on a weekend to 1400 and allow yourself on sat and sunday for a teat. I have not made any food a no go becouse once you do that it wil be all you think about. I had a bad day on tuesday, i ate loads but whats done is done i just started again the next day. Dont punish yourself the stress wont help you any x
  • fushigi1988
    Options

What do you mean? I'm not following, did you think it was good or bad?
    English is not my first language.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options

You made perfect sense - your english was fine. I think the poster you quoted just doesn't like math.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    At your weight and height I would recommend a much higher daily calorie through the week. Maybe set mfp to loosing .2-.5 kilo cause you are close to your goal.
    I find if I restrict to much I tend to binge and that can lead to massive weight gain and lack of motivation. Eating disorders are serious things so if you are struggling get some professional help.
    As for exercise, do you have rest days? Maybe schedule in some designated rest days so you can look forward to them.
  • smiles9090
    smiles9090 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Such wisdom
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You are already at a healthy weight for your height, so for health reasons, you don't need to lose weight. A tall body like yours needs fuel, and 1200 calories a day just won't cut it, unless you are extremely sedentary. My suspicion is that your body is rebelling against such a small amount of fuel, driving you to binge on the weekends.

Now, just because you're at a healthy weight already doesn't mean you're happy with your body. You mentioned feeling "anorexic" when you weigh every day. Do you suspect you could have disordered thinking about what is healthy for you? Perhaps finding a counselor who specializes in eating disorders would help you see yourself in a healthier way? Even if you don't have an ED, this kind of exploration can be helpful.

Another thing is, if you're at a healthy weight, but you're not happy with your body shape, you could do what folks around here call "body recomp," which just means lifting weights and going through cycles of gaining and losing (gaining muscle, then losing fat) until you've sculpted the body you want. Plus weightlifting makes you stronger, which does a lot for your confidence.

Just breathe. You're doing fine, and I have confidence you'll figure out your path. :smile:
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

You made perfect sense - your english was fine. I think the poster you quoted just doesn't like math.

Weight Watchers counts points. You get a set amount of points per day, plus some extras. You can use those extra points every day, or save them for the weekend.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I guess the OP raised a question for me about what is the difference between a binge and a cheat day? For example, I try to net in the 1000-1200 range (I'm 55 and only 5'2"), eating back exercise calories, but I always eat out one day on the weekend. Last night I ate at Olive Garden and ate more than I should have (breadsticks we had apps because hubby had played ball and was super hungry) and my net was over 2400 for that day. The meal alone was over 1000, of course. If I had a special occasion or ate out on Sunday and ate that much would that also be considered a binge?
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Why do people think eating 1200 calories is a magic number or something?
  • fushigi1988
    Options
    Why do people think eating 1200 calories is a magic number or something?

Because they set their goal for maximum weightloss (even though that's often not healthy) and that's the lowest MFP is willing to go.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is my "magic number" because I am 55 and only 5'2". My TDEE is 1500, so it's only a 300 deficit for me. I would gather OP's BMR must be higher because she is young and 5'9" in U.S. measurements, so it might not be hers. But for some of us that is the "magic number." I've been at this limit for several months and am actually plateau'd/maintaining on it.