How can I maintain this lifestyle?

Options
Hello everyone. I'm really struggling with the concept of staying on a 'diet' for the rest of my life! In the past, I have been extremely overweight and extremely underweight, and all in-between. However, I have never once been able to eat what is considered 'normally'. I am either on a full-on diet, or I am on a bingeing spree. I know it is unhealthy, i just can't tell myself when to stop! I would really appreciate some advice or people's experiences! x

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, it is the best thing I have ever done!

I am happier with my body and my eating than ever before. I don't mind the occasional grumbly tummy, coz most of the time, I'm eating the perfect amount of food. No more panicking about overeating. So it takes a few minutes to log. Meh!

FREEDOM

I lose fat by eating 100 calories under my maintenance level. So on a sports day like today when Ive cycled an hour, I will eat about 2150 and I will net about 1650, then every few days I have a little splurge, but my body never knows it's on a diet.

Sometimes I bulk and that is serious FUN eating 250 OVER! Especially at Xmas or on holiday.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Eat nice tasting healthy food, allow yourself a reasonable amount of treats and walk a lot.
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I can truly relate to what you write although I have never been extremely overweight.
    For me, counting calories accurately with the MFP tool helped normalize my eating. It just took all the emotion away from eating and reduced it to what it is - fueling my body. I completely stopped bingeing and reached my goal weight, with much less effort than I originally thought it would take.

Do you currently log everything you eat?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Eat nice tasting healthy food, allow yourself a reasonable amount of treats and walk a lot.
    [/quote

THIS!]
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You need to think of it as a lifestyle change. Eat in a way that you can manage to do for the rest of your life. I have lost over 160lb and consider the way I eat to be the way I will eat forever. I can't say that I will be exactly the same weight each week, sometimes up others down, but the lifestyle change should take that into account. If you went on holiday then you would naturally eat more or different foods that you would normally and perhaps you will put on a few pound. Thats fine, when you get back home then go back to your normal routine and be careful what you eat. You certainly shouldn't feel like you are starving yourself, if you do then I would suggest you change your diet. Hope this helps :)
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I hate to be a downer, but if you can't tell yourself to stop, then no one can. There are times when you have to be your own cheerleader; it would be helpful if you learned some of those skills now. Previous poster had a great idea - pre-log your food! Kind of makes things less, well, personal isn't the best word, but I can't think of what is! Maybe more clinical so less emotional? Try it, it was a great idea.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Look at my profile pic and see what 20 years of alternate binging and starving will do to you. Then educate yourself to eat healthily and exercise so you dont find yourself crying one day in the shop changing room because you can't stand the sight of yourself in the mirror!
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You need to reevaluate how you're doing it then. You have to figure out something that you're going to do forever, and that you're going to like to do forever. I personally have cheat days where I don't count and don't exercise. I go out to eat, I enjoy time with my family, I eat a little junk food. Yes, it's taking longer for the weight to come off, but I always get right back to counting and exercising. I'm living my life, that's all. That's what you have to do.
  • arfuss
    arfuss Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You cant be on a diet your whole life. Dont think about it this way that you "Have" to be on a diet.

Just count your calories.. Dont just use Myfitnesspal. Start doing it in your head, write your calories down on paper, carbs,proteins etc. This way you will be able to do it it all in your head.

Think about it this way..

7 days a week.. Eat all clean food these 7 days a week.. And then as a reward allow yourself to eat one amazing meal each week.

But you shouldent eat junk food tho.. Make yourself a homemade cheeseburger, some beef with brokoli and Bernaise or something like that.

You can do this without it effecting your results. Just make sure its just one big delicious meal. Dosent mather if your go over your daily calorie intake. It wont affect your end results.

This is what motivates me.. I love Saturdays.. Buying a half liter bottle of coke, and make myself a nice cheeseburger with a lot of green stuff on it
  • arfuss
    arfuss Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I also recomend using herbs, spices and such.. It just adds alot of flavour to your food. To my chick i usually add Estragon, or curry powder.. Makes it taste amazing!

To my chicken i usually put one spring of rosemary or two. just make sure it covers the whole chicken breast. And when you turn the chicken over. just put the rosemary ontop of the other side of teh chicken. And at the end of the cooking time.. Use some honey to make it alot more juicy..
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Don't think about it as "being on a diet", think of it as a way of life - exercise as a daily habit, eating unhealthily as a rare event etc. Imagine being You at your goal, and behave like her.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I don't think of this as "dieting."

I think of this as taking control of what used to control me.

And that is a lifestyle change.

It's being responsible for my own self, my own decisions.

Of course, I'm lucky in that I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE almost every fruit and vegetable on the planet. I also find myself liking "premade" store bought food less and less (like bread, cookies, donuts, etc.) I want to make my own so that I know what goes in it and what it's going to taste like. One thing I'm noticing: I really dislike the taste of most sweets anymore - they've done something to RingDings and HoHo's and Twinkies to the point that they just don't taste like they did when I was a kid, so I am not even tempted by them like I used to be. I do have to be careful with Oreo's though - I will eat an entire pack in a sitting so I don't bring them into the house often - I usually tell the kids "Special treat today, eat em up before I do" after I take a few for myself. LOL .

I want to eat in such a way that I get the nutrition my body needs - and also enjoy myself on some fun food too - even junk food, even a McDonald's hamburger if I want or go to the Krispy Kreme store and get ONE donut (since it's a REAL pain to go to Krispy Kreme and I hate the ones that are in the store, I am safe indulging in them THAT way. I can't control myself if there are KK's in the house.)

You have to want this to be HEALTHY for the rest of your life. I don't want diabetes, I don't want to be crippled with arthritis, I want to be able to hike and bike and do things. I want my future grandchildren to know me and think I'm a cool & active grammy, not a fat old lady who waddles around eating Oreo's and KK's all day long while complaining about not being able to "get around like I use-ta."
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Diet's don't work, you are setting yourself up to fail. Lifestyle changes are the way to go. Shop at the farmers market. No processed food. Read labels on everything. Drink a lot of water. Be active, go hiking, biking or running a lot. Exercise 3-5 days a week. Log your food intake here. That helped me a lot. Remember you can eat a lot of food if it's the right kind. If you want help ask, many people have been where you are. Add me if you want.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle means adhering to something you will do for life. And really all that takes is CONSISTENCY. If you don't have consistency, you'll always yo yo.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that for one, you have a narrow view of "healthy" and "nutritious"....most people who have this kind of all or nothing mentality tend this way. Generally speaking, people who fall into this boat don't know much beyond salads and celery sticks in RE to actual nutrition...YOU have to educate yourself...nobody else can do that for you. Eating healthfully doesn't have to be bland or boring...I'm a total foodie and I rock my nutrition...being a foodie, bland and boring aren't really in my vocabulary.

Secondly, most people who have this issue also tend towards negative relationships with food in general...this can often require professional help even if we're not talking full on ED. Disordered thinking in general is a mental health issue.

Third, YOU have to educate yourself on how your machine that is your body really works and understand that it needs fuel and how to properly fuel your machine as per certain activities. The more active you are, the more fuel is required...the less active you are, the less fuel is required...much like a car. But somehow, this very elementary concept is missed by many.

In my experience, it also helps to look at a healthy weight as a bi-product of living healthfully and not the only reason you're living healthfully...living healthfully for the sake of being healthy results in all kinds of good ****....
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Focus on today. Decide to make healthy choices today. This is the same philosophy alcoholics, addicts, smokers, and cancer patients use. We're not guaranteed tomorrow nor can we control the future or past; but we do have control in the present. Good Luck.