1200 Calories... What are you eating?

Options

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Not enough is the only correct answer. Why oh why is your goal 1200 calories? It's not enough!
  • grniis
    grniis Posts: 5
    Options
    On a typical day, something like:

Breakfast - Kashi original Go Lean cereal with 1/4 cup blueberries and approx 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

Lunch - FlatOut Flatbread wrap with homemade tuna salad (made with greek yogurt and relish,) Babybel Light cheese and a few pieces of fruit

Dinner - Either chicken or salmon, baked, with broccoli/sweet potato/carrots, etc.

Snacks throughout the day can include:
    1/2 cup strawberries
    Small apple
    Some sort of fruit/nut bar (Kind bars, etc,)
    1/2 cup greek yogurt topped with fruit or honey, handful of almonds or walnuts

I drink a lot of water, and green tea whenever I can.

I'm a pretty picky, boring eater though. This usually comes out to around 1200 a day, give or take a few. I have 3 snacks a day. 1200 was a struggle at first, especially by 9 pm when all I wanted was cookies, chocolate, etc. But I stuck it out and gradually it became a lot easier. Once a week I may go out for dinner and order something I don't usually eat, but still keeping it within reason.

Hope this gives a few ideas. Best of luck! :wink:
  • jessied124
    Options
    Eggs and fruit are my main items. i do chicken and some rice for dinner and veggies for lunch. Lost of water!!!!
  • 98bikinisuitedlbs
    98bikinisuitedlbs Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    My 1200 diary is open. Its normally fairly balanced. Take a peek if you like.
    I certainly do not go hungry.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    It's about half my day and 450 calories shy of the net calories I consumed to lose 53 lbs. That's all I know. And I'm 5'3.5".
  • vfett1018
    vfett1018 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't eat 1200 anymore, but when I did for weight loss, my diet was something along the lines of:

Breakfast:
    -5TBSP Eggwhites
    -1 slice of Whole grain toast
    -12 Oz. Smoothie (usually water, blueberries, strawberries, and some light yoplait yogurt)

Snack
    -Banana

Lunch:
    I worked at a grocery store, so I usually ate a tv dinner like a lean cuisine or custom sandwich from the deli because it was just easy.
    If I brought something from home, it was dinner the night before.
    -Chicken breast with sauteed veggies, brown rice, and ketchup
    -A piece of fruit
    -No sugar snack pack or Something sweet like a skinny cow candy (i have to have something sweet after protein, not sure why)
    -I basically only drank water or zero calorie enhancers like Mio

Dinner:
    Something like above or....
    -Eggplant parmesan
    -Stuffed Peppers was always my favorite with ground turkey, brown rice, and peppers.
    -lettuce wraps with turkey

etc. it was all about portion control. Before I started the 1200 calorie diet, I never ate breakfast and just stuffed my face before bed. When I started the 1200 calorie diet, I planned out my meals and ate 3 meals a day with two snacks. I ended up not eating before bed, usually hit my 1200 calorie mark, and it worked for me on losing weight.

The 1200 calorie diet isn't for everyone, but it was my best friend. I quit it in September last year and didn't gain the weight back when I raised it to 1500. However, I switched BC pills in February, gained 8 pounds in two weeks, went back on the old pill I was on, and stopped gaining, but I also didn't lose it back either. I wasn't able to work out because I was in a bad accident in January, so now I've been eating whatever I want, and fluctuating, but not gaining. I plan on going back on the 1200 calorie this week to lose the weight again as I worked hard to lose the 13 pounds I had, so if you want to follow me and see my diary you can.

I haven't done diary entries in a while because like I said I've been eating what I want, but I will start it back up in a couple of days.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Breakfast
    Kroger - Butter Cooking Spray, zero calorie
    Alterra / Flavia - Coffee - French Vanilla or Hazelnut - Coffee, 5 packet
    Generic - Cinnamon, Ground, 2 tsp
    Nature's Harvest - Multigrain 40 Calorie Bread With Net Carbs, 5 slice toasted plain (sprinkled with the cinnamon)

Lunch
    Fresh - White Mushroom - Raw, Sliced, 4 cup

Dinner
    Onions - Caramelized using Butter Cooking Spray, zero calorie
    Salad dressing - Italian dressing, fat-free, 3 tbsp
    Stop & Shop - Romaine Lettuce, 12 leaves
    Tomatoes - Red, ripe, raw, year round average, 2 large whole (3" dia)
    Walmart - Swai Fillets, 4 oz

Snacks
    Pudding - Snack Pack Chocolate Sugar Free Pudding, 2 snack pack
    Joy - Ice Cream Cup, 2 cup
    Sweet'n Low - Sugar Free Butterscotch Hard Candy, 16 pieces
    Bj'sl - Almonds - Roasted & Salted, 0.1875 cup (30g)

Total calories 1,045

Best part is I love the taste of the food and I NEVER go hungry. The old me use to eat at least 3500 to 4000 calories a day... wasted calories. I learned the "eat this not that" mentality and switched out the fatty, creamy Alfredo pastas for the healthy fish and salad alternatives. In no time I learned to love the food and even better the 89 pound weight loss!

edited for punctuation!
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    Breakfast :
    Egg + cucumber salad + tomatoes

--
    300 calories

Lunch :
    Chicken breast (8 oz)
    Stir fry vegetables ( beans, mushroom, bean sprout,etc)
    (just use very little oil or none, it taste way better than steam or raw to me )

Snack
    Apple / grapes

---
    400 ish

Dinner :
    Salmon
    Stir fry vegetables or fresh cucumber or tomatoes

Or stir fry shrimp with vegetables
    or stir fry squid with pineapple
    and vegetables soup

--

---

It's quite easy to be at 1200 calories and be full if I don't eat junk foods or high calories but empty (nutrition) foods.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,021 Member
    Options
    Not enough is the only correct answer. Why oh why is your goal 1200 calories? It's not enough!

+1 1800 is much easier to maintain in the long run.

Not sure if these posts were directed at anyone in particular - in which case you may be right, 1200 may not be enough for that person.

But it came across as a general comment - and that is not necessarily correct. 1200 IS enough for some people and 1800 is certainly too much for quite a few people.

I myself would never of lost weight on 1800, I wouldn't even stay the same on that.
    1700 is my maintenance level and 1460 was my loss amount.

I don't think I am an outlier in the population at all. Many other people would have similar stats and therefore similar calorie requirements, as me.
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    First I Had This
    Awesome Strawberries and Cream Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding, 1 serving(s) Calories 179

Then I Snacked On
    Trader Joes - Mild & Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds, 1/10 cup Calories 84

After That It Was
    Awesome Cold Pea Soup, 1 serving(s) Calories 204
    Ritz - Original Crackers, 10 crackers Calories 160

And Finally For Dinner It Was
    Awesome Mexican Rice, 1 serving(s) Calories 162
    Awesome Swiss Chard, 1 serving(s) Calories 181
    Boars Head - White Cheddar Cheese Slice, 1 slices Calories 55
    Awesome EZ Black Bean Burgers, 1 serving(s) Calories 152

For an Awesome total of 1177 Calories

Looks like I ate enough. I wasn't hungry. Why should I eat more because some calorie chart tells me too. Did our ancestors even know what a calorie was? Nope, they ate when they were hungry, stopped when they had enough.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    I do 1200 or less (I'm short and small). I eat A LOT of fruit and veggies. You can look at my diary, but it is pretty boring. One trick is to blend up fruit and veggies to use for the base of dressings and drizzle a bit of oil separately, or add avocado when you blend. I have noticed that shredded cabbage and kale dont seem to need as much dressing as lettuce. I also drink alot of smoothies and whole juices. I go easy on grain, but I try to get one serving of whole grains a day and one of beans. I snack on nuts, but they aren't a trigger food for me.

Extra good quality of aged balsamic vinegar and a little stevia is all i need on my grilled chicken garden salad. I add protein as needed to meet my quota. No oil needed or if I still have fats to fulfill I add a tsp of olive oil. And I try not to eat the same thing over and over. Egg beaters mixed with an egg white on whole wheat lite English Muffin and some fruit or greek yogurt for breakfast. Dinner is either chicken, lean pork , lettuce and tomato salad and 1/2 sweet potato. These are just some ideas. Mix it up. After a while it will come easy to you.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Breakfast :
    - egg white omelet with kale / zucchini / mushrooms / tomato
    - a baked apple with cinnamon on the side
    - coffee with unsweetened almond milk

Lunch:
    - salad w/ tofu or a whole grain veggie wrap or some type of protein thats vegetarian
    or
    -a sweet potato with a green veggie
    or
    - whole grain pancakes w/ fruit
    - sometimes oatmeal

Snack:
    - Greek yogurt with fruit like apricots
    or
    - whole wheat pita wrap
    or
    - quest bar ( occasionally)

dinner:

- salad with usually like a whole grain "vegan chicken" and roasted vegetables on top
    - sweet potato / roasted vegetables / vegan protein product
    - salad with small homemade low calorie pizza rounds made from whole grain pita's
    - roasted summer vegetables with wrap sandwich
    - stuffed zucchini
    - homemade polenta / kale / vegan chicken / marinara sauce
    - eggplant

snack before bed: oatmeal or arctic zero with homemade low cal fat free granola

= 1,200
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I do around 1200 a day. Have for over a year now. Friend me and you can review my diary. But basically, it's a lot of protein, veggies, higher good fats and some carbs. Nuts. Nothing processed. But enough of a variety for me. I think for most people my plan would be kind of boring though. But it suits me fine.
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low carb so this may not be idea for you - but I find it filling and tasty.

Breakfast: two pieces of bacon, lettuce with black pepper, green tea and water

Lunch: panfried chicken (I use between half a tsp and a tsp of olive oil), pinch of seasoning, black pepper, mixed salad (a small bowl worth), green tea, diet coke and water

Dinner: either the same as lunch but with more salad, or a steak/insert piece of any meat.

Snacks: one or more of the following: salami, 20g caramelised onion houmous with cucumber dipping sticks, salad, Chivers sugar free jelly (9 calories, 1 carb), Hertz frankfurter (100 calories, 1 carb), or deli meats like turkey/chicken/beef sliced thinly.
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    also lower carb (no bread, pasta, rice, etc.) - and starting at 1,400 plus I eat my exercise... feel free to add me and take a look at my diary...
    most days look like this:

smoothie for breakfast.
    snacks: nuts, seeds, veggies, cheese
    lunch and dinner - protein and veggies with a bit of healthy fats

pretty much every day I have some dark chocolate and some other treat... but otherwise it's mostly veggies, healthy proteins, healthy fats, nuts, seeds, cheese...
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Looks like I ate enough. I wasn't hungry. Why should I eat more because some calorie chart tells me too. Did our ancestors even know what a calorie was? Nope, they ate when they were hungry, stopped when they had enough.

Hunger levels are regulated by leptin levels. They drop off when you eat a steady amount over time, whether or not you're eating enough. Just like you can be hungry and not actually need to eat.

Our ancestors also didn't live very long and ate when they had to because food was a scarcer commodity than now.

But do what you want with your body
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    Lets see :

Breakfast: 1C FF plain Greek Yogurt w/ a scoop of protein powder and 1/2 C Frozen mixed berries (this keeps you full a really long time).

Snack: 1C Cherry tomatoes

Lunch: A Quest Bar or 1C shrimp w/ 2 Tbsp of cocktail sauce

Snack: A peach
    Snack: A light cheese stick

Dinner: This varies a lot but go to meals are things like-

Scrambled egg whites w/ turkey bacon, Stir Fries, Chicken Breast w/ a veggie, Swai fish w/ a veggie, Brown rice with pasta sauce, etc.

Snack/Dessert: Apples w/ peanut butter :)

The main thing that helps me feel full is WHAT I eat. I personally choose to use my calories to eat real, whole foods. They will keep you full longer than processed junk. Also, I have changed my macros to 40% Carb, 40% Protein, and 20% fat. I try to eat as much protein as possible- it keeps you full longest.
  • bella127
    bella127 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Breakfast (250 kcal)
    One jaffa cake and a Nature Valley granola bar

Lunches (all between 300-400kcal)
    Chicken breast with new potatoes, broccoli, carrots and gravy
    Chicken in creamy Madeira sauce with mushroom, spinach and white/wild rice
    Chicken and vegetable noodles in chow mein sauce
    Minced beef in gravy, carrots, broccoli, sweet potato and red lentil mash
    Chicken biryani with spinach
    Turkey salad wrap & small bag of crisps (Quavers, Skips etc)

Snacks
    Banana with lunch
    Raspberries
    Almonds
    Grapes
    SIngle finger Time Out bar with lunch
    Chocolate mousse after dinner

Dinners (all between 300-500kcal)
    Butter chicken curry with chicken breast, broccoli, carrots and baby corn served with cauliflower rice
    Any of the above lunches
    Ham, egg & new potato salad
    Pasta in tomato & bacon sauce with lettuce & cucumber side salad
    Chicken omelette with salad
    Turkey & bacon risotto with salad
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump