Do I need to eat fruit?

Options
I know fruit is good for me, and I love it. I consume it in moderation, I am curious how the Paleo mentality fits with fruit?
If I blow my carbs for the day, it is because of fruit. I don't think I will ever give up my peaches and cherries during the summer. Or my apples in the fall, just wondering if we truly NEED them at all?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • DebHutton55
    DebHutton55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    No, not if you are on Paleo. After weight is gone I will eat some but not as much as is recommended. You don't need it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat it to be healthy, but it's good for you, and if you like it, why not?

I thought the benefit of paleo was supposed to be no counting.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It's a good source of vitamin, minerals and in some cases carbs.

More the question, I'd suggest, should be; "do you need to avoid eating fruit" and the answer to that, from everything I've seen is "no - carbs are not bad, so there's no need to avoid fruit because of that" :)
  • tashigolean33
    Options
    Plenty of Paleo followers eat fruit. Paleo does not have to be low carb. It will be naturally lower than a standard American Diet, but I ate anywhere from 50 to 150grams of carbs a day on Paleo (hardcore strict for 6 months). It just depended on how much fruit, sweet potatoes, cruciferous veggies I decided to eat that day. I started following Paleo to determine food intolerances. I have a wheat allergy. Now that my intolerances are known I eat white rice, quinoa, black beans, white potatoes, chickpeas, and limited amounts of dairy (too much tends create havoc with my sinuses) and just count my calories. I feel better when I eat whole foods, but I don't feel guilty if I eat something processed on occasion.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If anyone says that fruit is not paleo then I'll seriously want to beat them over the head with any university textbook on palaeoanthropology.

Humans are primates.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    No, not if you are on Paleo. After weight is gone I will eat some but not as much as is recommended. You don't need it.

You seriously think your palaeolithic ancestors didn't eat fruit?? The stuff grows on trees!! It doesn't even take palaeolithic technology to gather it. Most primate species eat it all the time. Palaeolithic humans ate whatever fruit they could get their hands on. If they lived somewhere warm enough for fruit to be available all year round they ate it all year round.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fruit is Paleo
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love fruit more than life itself.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It's a good source of vitamin, minerals and in some cases carbs.

More the question, I'd suggest, should be; "do you need to avoid eating fruit" and the answer to that, from everything I've seen is "no - carbs are not bad, so there's no need to avoid fruit because of that" :)
    ^This
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options

You seriously think your palaeolithic ancestors didn't eat fruit?? The stuff grows on trees!! It doesn't even take palaeolithic technology to gather it. Most primate species eat it all the time. Palaeolithic humans ate whatever fruit they could get their hands on. If they lived somewhere warm enough for fruit to be available all year round they ate it all year round.

Yeah, sorry, but this is why I think Paleo is a joke.
    ^This too
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Uhh any diet that suggests that you cut out a food group isn't good for you. Fruits have high sugar content so yeah high carbs but they also have tons of fiber, depending on which ones you eat or if you eat the skin. It's considered a more complex sugar since it has fiber to digest with it, it'll digest slower and spread the energy out. So fruit isn't bad for you.

PS what ancient humans used to eat is grasses/roots and things we'd consider inedible. Fruits and vegetables didn't used to be plump and tasty, we genetically made them that way recently, same goes for grains.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I'm not a Paleo expert... But I'm thinking the same thing here.
    You can't get more ''natural'' than fruits...

And OP: No you don't ''need'' fruit. But it will certainly help you have a well balanced diet.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I eat almost no fruit because I don't like it, and it hasn't hurt me. So you can cut it out if you want...but why would you want to if you like it? Paleo has got to be the most confusing and misguided diet trend ever. How is it even possible that anyone believes that our ancestors didn't eat fruit? That, and wild tubers and grasses and stuff, is primarily what they did eat, especially if hunting was bad.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Did you grow the fruit yourself? Nothing says "paleo" quite like being able to eat any fruit year-round, regardless of season just like our ancestors.
  • ashlivesjk
    ashlivesjk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Everyone, is so awesome thank you!!
    Believe me I never had intended to, nor will I ever give up my beloved fruit :D
    I have just been seeing so much about this Paleo trend, I neither agree nor disagree with it, although it is not for me. I can carb cycle for sure, but I would never / could never give up my carbs. Bread yeah, I could do without, still like a sammich now and again though. Just a curiosity, as during the winter good fresh fruit is not as easy to come by, and I have more tendency to not eat it during winter months, other than apples. Thanks to everyone again,

J
  • ashlivesjk
    ashlivesjk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That first sentence was improperly put together and sounded redundant. I meant to say, I have not, nor do I intend to ever give up my fruit. :P