Do you HAVE to workout every day?

Options
This past week I've been feeling extremely tired and under the weather so I haven't worked out as much as I normally do. I usually go on a run 3-4 days a week and then to the gym for weight training at least twice a week. I skipped two of my runs this week though. Is this going to have a big impact on my weight?? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates your calorie goal so that you lose weight without exercise, so you'll still lose even if you don't exercise.

You may lose a bit more slowly if you haven't been eating your exercise calories, but you should still lose.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Regarding the subject line: No, you don't need to work out every day.

Regarding your post: Start thinking of your progress in terms of months and years rather than days and weeks. Your change in weight is going to be dictated primarily by energy balance (difference between consumed and expended energy).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Actually, rest is kind of important....
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I normally workout 4 days a week. Sometimes 6 days if I do cardio on non-lifting days. Always at least one day off though, usually 2 days off.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This past week I've been feeling extremely tired and under the weather so I haven't worked out as much as I normally do. I usually go on a run 3-4 days a week and then to the gym for weight training at least twice a week. I skipped two of my runs this week though. Is this going to have a big impact on my weight?? Thanks for the help!
    You don't have to work out at all if you don't want to. As long as you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

However, keep in mind that calorie needs change when you decrease or increase exercise. In other words, when I go to Ireland in September, where I won't be lifting for two weeks, and probably not running either, I won't need as much fuel for my body, thus I will eat less calories than normal (hopefully!).

Normally, I weight lift 3 days a week and run 2-3 days a week, and sometimes add in that seventh day with some other cardio, or I take it off.
  • molson55
    molson55 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Okay awesome! I think what I was most worried about was since I normally do workout (or try to) 6 times a week, if changing that would have a negative impact on the progress I'm making. Thanks everyone!! :)
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • justianne82
    Options
    Maybe you should lessen your time for exercising, a 4-5 times a week is enough for you to lose weight, don't overdo your exercises and make time to rest and relax. You should also need to eat healthy foods every day. Eating fruits and vegetables daily will help you boost your immune system.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should lessen your time for exercising, a 4-5 times a week is enough for you to lose weight, don't overdo your exercises and make time to rest and relax. You should also need to eat healthy foods every day. Eating fruits and vegetables daily will help you boost your immune system.
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. In fact, exercise is for endurance, strength, and health, though it allows you to eat more.

The type of foods you eat also have nothing to do with losing weight. You can gain weight on all "healthy" foods as easily as you can on "unhealthy" foods if you eat more calories than you burn. This is said while keeping in mind that "healthy" and "unhealthy" are in the eye of the beholder.

No food is good or bad. Everything in moderation.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    And here we go... :glasses:
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

Yup.

When I don't take rest days, I get extremely exhausted and extremely irritable. And my body starts aching. Exercise is important, but too much of it can be bad.