HELP A GIRL WHO DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE LOL!

Options
Hi......HELP!

I'm new to this site and although I am not here to lose weight, I want to learn how to eat healthy.

I am 23, have feasted on junk food my WHOLE life, therefore have no idea on whats healthy and whats not blah blah. I want to eat better because I know in the long run things will catch up with me, although I've never had a weight problem (lucky i know). Thankfully I am a size 8 so do not need to lose weight, but you get the general jist.

By logging what I eat, today I've noticed that I have only eaten 454 calories. NOT GOOD. I'm starving! My aim is to eat 1200 calories a day as opposed to the gazillions of calories I usually consume every day lol. The thing is I absolutely love love LOVE my savoury snacks such as crisps, biscuits, cakes etc.......for the past 2 days I have not had any crisps, choc, biscuits etc and my cravings are running riot.

Could anyone tell me what healthy savoury snacks I could feast on which aren't too high in the calorie count. And are there such things as good carbs because I do not want to deny my body of any carbs, I haven't really eaten any for 2 days and I'm famished......i don't want my naturally fast metabolism to start slowing down because of this.

Could someone/anyone offer me advice coz I don't even know what I'm talking about right now :)

Thanking you in advance.

Carly :)

Replies

• ahbach2005
    Options
    Since your not looking for dramatic weigth loss I would try to stick to fruits.

They have fiber and are good carbs. If that is not an option peanuts are a good option and have some protein in them.

Another option is are the bars that are meal supplements or maybe a shake. EAS has some good stuff, Cliff bars etc. CHeese sticks are good as well and yogurt (greek or others) are good especially if they have active cultures.

Hope this helps
  • bjmk19047
    bjmk19047 Posts: 123
    Options
    OK. First, go online and find either the food pyramid or a diabetic's diet.

Get to like fruits, vegetables, stuff like that.

Then, go to the grocery store and check out all of thier 100 calorie snacks -- this helps with my chocolate cravings!!! Quaker Minis has a caramel drizzled rice cake pack that's only 90 calories!!!! Hunt's fat-free pudding cups - 90.

Someone posted on here a recipe for chicken soup that was very healthy and low in calories -- I need to find it again so that I can try it. Try to find some recipes on www.food.com that you like that are low in calories.

Drink water...water...water (I need to do more of this).

Lastly, start exercising, even if it's just a walk.

Hope this helps!!!
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are a great carb -- and yummy too!
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Almonds are a great snack.

Apples and peanut butter (light or PB2 is best)
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It really is true, water (lots), whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean protein. They fill you up. Once you see how many calories you can have, and how many your food has in it, you start picking foods with less calories and more fiber or more filling (protein and fiber).

Read lables for the fewest ingredients and no extra's. Look for "whole grain", stick to "real" food in the listings. Like even peanutbutter you can get with just peanuts! Read the other lables and try to get the food listed first instead of sugar and other things. Exercise, even 10 minutes, consistently, will improve your metabolism and you will start a good addiction and have less time to sit and eat chips right out of the bag!

Small changes add up. Start with every day a new day and read other people's diaries for hints and suggestions! Make your diary public and ask for suggestions!

You are here, so you are on a roll!
  • Michele0912
    Options
    I think you should go out and buy the Tosca Reno eat clean diet.. it shows you how to eat healthy and 5 to 6 meals a day! it really isn't a diet.. it's a way of life and i love it!
  • carlyannabelle87
    Options
    Hi Guys,

thanks for all your help and advice.

Just a quick note: I am from London, UK so some of the food names you mention aren't available in this country, but I get what your saying :)

I have always gone to the gym about 3-4 times a week so thats not a problem, and always drunk LOADS of water but it doesn't cure my hunger.

Do u think I could treat myself at weekends to a choc bar and biscuits or just stay off it all????

Thank you
  • Sneakysnake109
    Options
    I think that once you start eating healthy, your cravings for those things will change, but in the mean time, I feel that if you are having cravings for something like a chocolate bar, eat it. Just do it the bare minimum you can like once a week. I am trying to start off on the right track, but still eat the foods I like, just to a much smaller extent, and by logging everything including the chocolate bar, stay within your calorie goal. Also, check the nutritional information every day as you eat things, and ensure you stay within your suggested ranges. If you dont satisfy your cravings early on in the diet, I dont think you will end up sticking with it, and since you really aren't on a diet per-se, but are wanting to learn to eat healthy, that is a long term strategy worth sticking with.
  • amie1004
    amie1004 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    To piggy-back on someone's sweet potato suggestion....if you like more savory stuff, you can make sweet potato fries by baking them in the oven with some olive oil and salt/other seasonings....SO Good!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I had to stay away from the binge items for a bit, until I got my foodie legs under me better. I allowed myself anything at all for Christmas and logged it anyway, that helped. I noticed I don't eat like I did, as well! Now I find even when I binge it's not like I could binge before! And I'm craving healthy food! A lot of the junk I ate doesn't do it for me, some of it even sends me running to the loo! or feeling crappy! and isn't so yummy anymore. Chocolate is! But I can savor a small amount and keep it to that, now. Now I keep it to "is it worth it?" and have a "serving size" at a time.
  • carlyannabelle87
    Options
    wow I've never tried sweet potatoe! This sounds yummmmmy!
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If you're going to have Chocolate, make sure it's dark chocolate (60% cocoa or greater). It will be a little more bitter than you might be used to, but it is MUCH healtier for you. If you can fid it with a little natural flavoring (orange, mint, chili peppers[my fav]) you'll start to never miss the sickly sweet milk chocolate in candy bars.
    As for the biscuits (cookies?) you'll want to fight that fight to the end. Grab some raw carrots or any raw veg you may like (or start trying new ones) and some hummus dip. Lots of great carbs, and protien/fat to fill you up so you won't be hungry again in 20 minutes like with a sugary snakc of candy or cookies.
    Good luck.