how long does it take fat to be removed from your body?

Options
how long does it take fat weight to be removed from your body?
for example if you exercise for 2 hours and 875 calories (which is 1/4th of a pound) and you eat at your maintenance calories
and any water loss is replaced so we're not talking about water loss
how long does it take for that .25 pound worth of calories to be removed?
when you exercise does the fat just disappear from your body? or is it broken down into metabolic waste but you'll still weight the same until you go to the bathroom?

Replies

• doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Following....
  • Holisticallylivin
    Holisticallylivin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat 1440 calories a day, don't exercise because I've been sick, and have been maintaining a two pound weight loss per week, but remember it depends on you and how you eat.

By the way, don't eat or drink anything with sugar for example coffee, but unfortunately, that is a HUGE factor into losing weight.

3500 calories equals 1 lb of fat.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Watch the scale and see. :laugh:
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    as long as it takes you to burn / eat at a deficit equaling 87,500 calories (25x3500). i lose about a pound a week, so it would take me 25 weeks.
  • pbbagel
    pbbagel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Interesting quesion! (following)
  • honey_tequila
    honey_tequila Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Curious too...
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I recall someone telling me the fat gets converted partly into carbon dioxide and partly as water....so yes...burning fat can be part of the water weight you hold onto...you could be burning more fat than you know, the scale won't budge, you'll get pi$$ed but everything's alright.
  • thecharizardtamer
    thecharizardtamer Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When the fat leaves the body does it get replaced with muscle? I know answering a question with a question. sorry.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Here's an explantion from "How Stuff Works":

Hormones regulating our blood sugar levels activate an enzyme in the blood vessels of fat tissue called lipase. Lipase ignites fat cells to release macromolecules called triglycerides, which are what make fat cells fat. Triglycerides are made of glycerol and three fatty acid chains. When they receive the signal from lipase to exit the fat cells, the triglycerides break up into their respective components and enter the bloodstream for use. The liver snatches up the glycerol to break it down for energy, and some of the fatty acids move to the muscles that can farm them for energy as well.

This action of breaking down triglycerides into usable energy is called lipolysis. Once inside the mitochrondia, or power source, or muscle or liver cells, the components of the glycerol and fatty acids are shuffled and reshuffled to harness their energy potential, producing heat, water, carbon dioxide and adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP hauls potential energy in its molecular bonds for use when we exercise like cellular carb loading. The water exits our bodies as sweat and urine, and we exhale the carbon dioxide.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    When the fat leaves the body does it get replaced with muscle? I know answering a question with a question. sorry.

No it doesn't. Your body uses fat as enegery (your body breaks down fats into glycerol and fatty acids in the process of lipolysis. The fatty acids can then be broken down directly to get energy) . They say it takes you 9000 cals to burn 1kg, so lets say your in a deflict of 500 cals a day 7 days a week. it would take 18 days to lose 1 kg. But then again it is a esstimate, because one cannot be totaly sure if 1kg of fat is 9000 cals for your specificly.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm interpreting your question differently.

In observing my own weight loss patterns (I weigh daily), I see a change in my weight the second morning after a particular calorie-deficit. This is not backed up by any statistically valid study that I know of, but it is my personal observation of my own data.

And yeah, you don't poop out fat--you pee out the oxygen and hydrogen as water and exhale the carbon as CO2.

Poop is undigestible food residues, bacteria, water, bile (this is how your body dumps excess cholesterol), and probably a few traces of your body carbon as glycosaminoglycans in mucous.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Here's an explantion from "How Stuff Works":

Hormones regulating our blood sugar levels activate an enzyme in the blood vessels of fat tissue called lipase. Lipase ignites fat cells to release macromolecules called triglycerides, which are what make fat cells fat. Triglycerides are made of glycerol and three fatty acid chains. When they receive the signal from lipase to exit the fat cells, the triglycerides break up into their respective components and enter the bloodstream for use. The liver snatches up the glycerol to break it down for energy, and some of the fatty acids move to the muscles that can farm them for energy as well.

This action of breaking down triglycerides into usable energy is called lipolysis. Once inside the mitochrondia, or power source, or muscle or liver cells, the components of the glycerol and fatty acids are shuffled and reshuffled to harness their energy potential, producing heat, water, carbon dioxide and adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP hauls potential energy in its molecular bonds for use when we exercise like cellular carb loading. The water exits our bodies as sweat and urine, and we exhale the carbon dioxide.

This is the answer to what I hAve been trying to figure out all along. My assumption is that our bodies are doing this all day long. Using up whatever is readily available first, and storing whatever is left over, then tapping into those stores when needed. So at any given moment our bodies are using energy and storing energy. If you are in a deficit and burning calories your body is tapping into those fat stores. My understanding is that the body will first choose what is most efficient, turning first to calories that haven't been stored, then to stored calories in fat cells, then to muscle. Does that sound right?
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options

This is the answer to what I hAve been trying to figure out all along. My assumption is that our bodies are doing this all day long. Using up whatever is readily available first, and storing whatever is left over, then tapping into those stores when needed. So at any given moment our bodies are using energy and storing energy. If you are in a deficit and burning calories your body is tapping into those fat stores. My understanding is that the body will first choose what is most efficient, turning first to calories that haven't been stored, then to stored calories in fat cells, then to muscle. Does that sound right?

Thats indeed the simple version of it, yes
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

No. Fat leaving the body does not get replaced by muscle.

When you exercise, you create a signal to your body to build muscle in the exercised groups. After you exercise, resources are directed to the exercised areas to repair any damage and to build up areas that have been strained without damage so that they can endure that level of strain more safely. The resources used for this build-up phase come from your food and some may also come from fat.

The fact the actual muscle-building occurs during the rest phase between exercise is why weight-lifting can be very effective done only once or twice a week. You need frequent enough signals that the body doesn't slack off building or maintaining muscle. But you also need the down-time for the actual building to occur.

it is sort of like your body is doing road work. Habitual congestion at rush-hour signals the government that the road needs expansion, but the actual road-work is done off-hours when traffic is light.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd look at it as a weekly deficit.

If you average 250 calories a day deficit, you should have lost 1/2lb of fat at the end of the week.

Of course, it's not really THAT simple, but as a guide that should be good enough.

(Ie, some may be muscle and so on.)

A better way to look at it, I would suggest, is to see how much you've lost over a week (with daily reading averaged) and from that work out your average daily deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

no...

muscle has to be built...
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    >> When the fat leaves the body does it get replaced with muscle? I know answering a question with a question. sorry.

No. Fat and muscle are two different kinds of tissue. They are separate,
    If you diet and cut calories, you lose fat.
    If you exercise, you tone and build muscle.

If you diet without exercise - your body will be thinner (less fat), but not any more muscular, stronger or "in-shape"
    If you exercise without diet - your body will be stronger (more muscle), but not necessarily much thinner.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    how long does it take fat weight to be removed from your body?
    for example if you exercise for 2 hours and 875 calories (which is 1/4th of a pound) and you eat at your maintenance calories
    and any water loss is replaced so we're not talking about water loss
    how long does it take for that .25 pound worth of calories to be removed?
    when you exercise does the fat just disappear from your body? or is it broken down into metabolic waste but you'll still weight the same until you go to the bathroom?

If you knew the answer to all of these questions, what positive impact would it have on your life?

If you arent concerned with losing fat by the hour......then who cares?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    To add to the above - replacing fat with muscle is actually very hard - for most people most of the time it's a case of EITHER losing fat OR gaining muscle.

There are some exceptions, but your body can do one the other well, but rarely both at the same time.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm interpreting your question differently.

In observing my own weight loss patterns (I weigh daily), I see a change in my weight the second morning after a particular calorie-deficit. This is not backed up by any statistically valid study that I know of, but it is my personal observation of my own data.

And yeah, you don't poop out fat--you pee out the oxygen and hydrogen as water and exhale the carbon as CO2.

Poop is undigestible food residues, bacteria, water, bile (this is how your body dumps excess cholesterol), and probably a few traces of your body carbon as glycosaminoglycans in mucous.

I also notice a 2 day delay for both losses and gains. When I over do it one day (especially if it was a day where I drank alcohol) the scale shows me my consequence two days/ later just like when I have an extreme low calorie day.