Calling all cyclists

Options
Hellooo

So this weekend I have cycled 41 miles on my MTB and needless to say I am a little saddlesore.....

**TMI warning**

The stitching of my pants dig into my bum and make things worse. I would wear woman boxers ( I am female ) but they tend to give me a massive wedgie! Other than buying padded cyclist shorts or using a gel seat (i don't want to change my racing seat, I like it and is fine for shorter journey's) - Is there anything else that you can recommend??

Replies

• Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    You could try regular panties, athletic shorts/pants (I prefer something compression style) and some...I hate the name of this product...Hooha ride glide or another anti-chafing cream. http://www.amazon.com/Reflect-Sports-Ride-Glide-8-Ounce/dp/B009NN2O86

Until you can get some...put some deodorant on your thighs. It helps with rubbing.

ETA: Get some cycling shorts with the gel pad when/if you can. Your butt will thank you.
  • Hachiko89
    Hachiko89 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You could try regular panties, athletic shorts/pants (I prefer something compression style) and some...I hate the name of this product...Hooha ride glide or another anti-chafing cream. http://www.amazon.com/Reflect-Sports-Ride-Glide-8-Ounce/dp/B009NN2O86

Until you can get some...put some deodorant on your thighs. It helps with rubbing.

ETA: Get some cycling shorts with the gel pad when/if you can. Your butt will thank you.

Thank you!! I will trundle off to go outdoors once my butt is feeling less sorry for itself =)
  • kaotik2003
    kaotik2003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you cycle one and only advice. Get really good cycling shorts with gel inside and a cream for the rubbing. Cycling shorts are so tight that they don't rub or move.
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I swear by my cycling shorts but some people do not like the way they look. They sell cycling liners that you can wear under your regular shorts and they sell shorts that look like regular shorts but they have padding.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    The less seams the better. Go commando.

But why are you against cycling shorts?
  • Hachiko89
    Hachiko89 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The less seams the better. Go commando.

But why are you against cycling shorts?

I'm not against cycling shorts. Just the gel seats. Hopefully going to get some cycling shorts tomorrow

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
  • cart25
    cart25 Posts: 17
    Options
    Buy cycling shorts, nothing underneath and problem solved.

Harder saddles are better your weight is supported by your sit bones so more comfy than a soft one
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Short = good

Padded saddle = bad. There about the worst thing you can do ;)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Commando + cycling shorts (+ chamois cream if necessary) = happy days

Gel seats - just say no.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Just curious why you don't want to wear padded shorts. I love them. The best I've found is the Nishiki brand, which I buy at D I C K's Sporting Goods. The pads aren't as ridiculously huge as some of the top-line brands I've tried, they're well made, and they're reasonably priced ($35 at the store near me, and sometimes they have sales). Padded cycling shorts are meant to be worn without underpants, if that helps.

On a related note, I forgot I wanted to buy another pair today. Thanks for the reminder. :-)
  • GrindGravel
    GrindGravel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, cycling shorts all the way. If you don't like the look, just put a pair of athletic style shorts over them. I do that when I know I am doing a ride where the plan is to stop for post ride beers. Still comfortable and I am not spandex man at the pub!
  • pepperpat64
    Options
    As mentioned, cycling shorts all the way. If you don't like the look, just put a pair of athletic style shorts over them. I do that when I know I am doing a ride where the plan is to stop for post ride beers. Still comfortable and I am not spandex man at the pub!

Is Spandex Man related to Trojan Man? ;-)
  • GrindGravel
    GrindGravel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well looking like spandex man is excellent birth control.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    cycling shorts FTW! :bigsmile:

Seriously....I biked in yoga pants for YEARS...although I never rode more than 20 miles in a single day. The lone exception being my weekly triathlon practices in the summer, and the one sprint tri a year that I did, where I wore my tri kit (it has a thin pad, so it dries quickly, and gives you a little bit of padding on the bike...and I mean a little).

I bought two pairs of true cycling shorts a month ago. OMG...it is an AMAZING difference. :love: One of them is straight shorts....the other is actually a skirt with bike shorts under it. I wear the skirt if I need to go anywhere before or after my ride, because it is cute and you can't see the pad at all. I also have a skirt that I can wear over my other pair of shorts (that actually goes with my tri kit), but I don't do that often.

I need to get a couple more pairs, so I'm not wearing the same outfits every other ride (yes, I got the matching tops LOL) . :tongue:

Yesterday morning, I did the local Ironman 70.3 bike course (56 miles) in my skirted shorts, and was perfectly comfortable the entire time (not including the 11 mile 1000+ foot climb at the beginning of the loop). :happy: I now want to figure out a way to wear cycling shorts next year when I DO the IM70.3 race, but not wear them for the swim.....
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple pair of PI cycling shorts and have never looked back. They are pretty expensive but well worth it. Has anyone ever tried the ones from ****s Sporting goods? How were they and did they last?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    These are my favorite basic shorts. Not too expensive either, good chamois.

http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=106&product_id=1780958&outlet=&color_code=027
  • pepperpat64
    Options
    I bought a couple pair of PI cycling shorts and have never looked back. They are pretty expensive but well worth it. Has anyone ever tried the ones from ****s Sporting goods? How were they and did they last?

If you mean the store that starts with D, LOL, I have a pair of Nishikis from there and really like them. They're about 4 years old and have held up very well and are comfortable.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Richard's (since the shortened version gets filtered) sporting goods has name brands ... Canari, Nishiki, and Pearl Izumi. I've had no issues with the first two and haven't tried the latter.

I do have a pair of shorts and couple of jerseys from ecyclingstore.com .... inexpensive but felt o.k. on the couple of rides I've taken them on so far.

The end of summer is coming up .. watch for sales. Left Lane Sports does some pretty deep discounts on name brands from time to time.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Richard's (since the shortened version gets filtered) sporting goods has name brands ... Canari, Nishiki, and Pearl Izumi. I've had no issues with the first two and haven't tried the latter.

I do have a pair of shorts and couple of jerseys from ecyclingstore.com .... inexpensive but felt o.k. on the couple of rides I've taken them on so far.

The end of summer is coming up .. watch for sales. Left Lane Sports does some pretty deep discounts on name brands from time to time.

Poor Richard. Of course if he just went by Rick this wouldn't be a problem.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Poor Richard. Of course if he just went by Rick this wouldn't be a problem.

... or if this site had a filter that made any sense.