Whey protein powders

Options
Any advice on some tasty whey flavors and what brand? I have tried the "Six Star chocolate" which doesn't taste bad but messes with my stomach and it's only about $20 and also the "Precision engineered whey isolate fruit punch" tastes great with water and mixes well but it's roughly $40 for a 2gallon and doesn't taste very well with milk!! Hahaha who woulda thought right... Just looking for some other flavors people have tried and maybe what the best brands are. I know it will come down to what tastes best for me but I need to expeirement in order to find the it. Thanks in advance

Replies

• Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition and BSN make very good protein powders. Cellucor gets good reviews, but I've not had the opportunity to try them yet.
  • jfubar13
    jfubar13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been using Jay Robb (amazon or GNC).
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    TRUTEIN! By Body Nutrition.

I've heard that Optimum Nutrition is really good, but unfortunately I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE protein though is Trutein by Body Nutrition (bodynutrition.com)... it is... absolutely... heavenly. As long as you mix it up completely (I use a blender bottle), and I typically use milk cause I like the creamy, milkshake like consistency/texture... but it's just as good, flavor wise, with water!

They have all kinds of delicious flavors:
    -Chocolate truffle
    -Vanilla
    -Orange creamsicle
    -Cinnabun (wonderful)
    -Chocolate Peanut butter cup - Amazing! My absolute favorite. Made with real peanuts apparently.

And their newest flavors are:

-Red Velvet Cake - Made with REAL cream cheese, and it literally tastes like a red velvet cake in shake form - This is coming from someone who is VERY picky about protein drinks.
    -Peanut Butter Marshmallow cookie - I was really looking forward to having this one, but unfortunately it was the most disappointing out of all the new flavors, in my opinion.
    -Lemon Meringue Pie - This one was a shocker to me, it tastes like they somehow managed to take a lemon meringue pie and transform it into powder - the sweet and tangy lemony flavor was quite impressive.
    Last one is Mocha Caramel. I was always kinda grossed out with coffee flavored proteins, but this one took me by surprise. Could easily have this on a daily basis instead of my usual iced coffees... made with real coffee, and you can add more, fresh coffee to it! Tastes loveeellyyyyy.

They also have chocolate protein pudding! YAAAAAAYYY!

Yeah... I'm crazy about Trutein. It's a little expensive, but super worth it.
  • sdguy2002
    sdguy2002 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I workout hard on the AMT (eliptical type machine) to the point where I can burn 1000 calories in an hour should I be taking protein before and after for this?
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    optimum nutrition. we use that exclusively in my house - i'm trying to lose weight, hubby is gaining mass/maintaining. the best prices i've found are on amazon and at vitamin shoppe. we pay about $57 for 5lbs of powder, usually 70-75 servings. our favorites are vanilla ice cream, mocha cappuccino, coffee... most of the chocolate varieties are good as well.
  • kurtistime
    kurtistime Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If your in Europe I would recommend http://www.myprotein.com/

Banana Whey is very nice

Here is a referral code MP25248951
  • MattJBerry
    MattJBerry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like Now Sports' dutch chocolate whey. It's not filled with sucralose or whatever else other companies use for flavor or sugar substitutes. I haven't bought a tub in a while, but I like how they use just a bit of Stevia, which is a natural healthy sweetener. The dutch chocolate tastes great with oatmeal or in a shake.
  • MonicaJumper
    Options
    I can't afford any protein powders :'(
  • kaotik2003
    kaotik2003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I workout hard on the AMT (eliptical type machine) to the point where I can burn 1000 calories in an hour should I be taking protein before and after for this?

After specially in the first hour when your body needs it for muscle recovery
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    ON Gold Standard Mocha Cappuccino flavour. amazing.
  • ecphillips1286
    ecphillips1286 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

After specially in the first hour when your body needs it for muscle recovery

Yes you definitely should be consuming high volumes of simple carbs and protein for muscle recovery and get your levels back to normal. I have read that the first 30-60 min max is the most important time to be fueling your body after an intense workout.

Thanks everyone for your input on the flavors and brands.
  • Cappa124
    Cappa124 Posts: 131
    Options
    I use NOW Sports unflavored whey protein - you can add it to shakes/recipes without altering their flavor. I use it mostly for baking and there's a few recipes here if you want ideas : losing-weight-living-life.blogspot.com

I got it on amazon - its about $20 for 1.2 lbs or $65 for 5 lbs.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Any advice on some tasty whey flavors and what brand? I have tried the "Six Star chocolate" which doesn't taste bad but messes with my stomach and it's only about $20 and also the "Precision engineered whey isolate fruit punch" tastes great with water and mixes well but it's roughly $40 for a 2gallon and doesn't taste very well with milk!! Hahaha who woulda thought right... Just looking for some other flavors people have tried and maybe what the best brands are. I know it will come down to what tastes best for me but I need to expeirement in order to find the it. Thanks in advance

It's not the brand that's making you have stomach problems, it's the whey protein. Whey doesn't agree with a lot of people.

Use a soy based, egg based, or casein based protein powder instead.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Vitacost has the cheapest stuff I've found online for whey iso ($40 for a 4 pounder when on sale or BOGO) Just sign up for their mailing list and wait for it to go on sale. I'm hoarding extras now. - it's called ARO Black Series Whey Iso. Chocolate is better tasting than vanilla but I like to switch it up between the two. And vanilla is better for making protein pancakes.

When I wasn't being frugal, I loved the taste of ON's banana strawberry with almond and coconut milk. Not as much with just water, though. It was $57 / 5 lbs on amazon. Not sure what it is now.

Anyone else got a cheap site for Whey iso?
  • ecphillips1286
    ecphillips1286 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

It's not the brand that's making you have stomach problems, it's the whey protein. Whey doesn't agree with a lot of people.

Sorry but I have tried the six star vanilla whey and it didn't mess with my stomach. The fruit punch precision engineered doesn't mess with my stomach. Only the chocolate so It may not be the "brand" but maybe the flavor. Thanks for the advice tho
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Sorry but I have tried the six star vanilla whey and it didn't mess with my stomach. The fruit punch precision engineered doesn't mess with my stomach. Only the chocolate so It may not be the "brand" but maybe the flavor. Thanks for the advice tho

Well in that case… Try IsoPure
  • charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i second the opinion of trutein, its a bit pricey though. ibpi whey hd is tasty and can be found for pretty cheap right now. vpx syngex is good and can be had for about 35 bucks for 80 servings. dyamatize elite fusion is good and is cheap all over right now if your not worried about a few extra cals
  • benchsquad65
    benchsquad65 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Get whatever you can afford.... even the wal mart kind works I think. The body fortress.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    MusclePharm cookies n cream. Available at Costco. Delicious and affordable.
  • BEquality
    BEquality Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I spoke to an awesome nutritional consultant at Clark's Nutrition, and to a trainer at my gym, and they both said that the hydrolyzed whey protein isolate powders are some of the best due to easier digestion. Right now I'm using the Power Crunch Proto Whey in Double Chocolate, and it is amazing. It's best with some almond milk or an almond milk/coconut milk blend from Blue Diamond. The nutritional consultant recommended MFL's (Muscle Food Labs) Muscle Isolate line, but it only came in the giant jar and the price point was a bit high for us that day. He recommended the MFL over the Power Crunch because MFL doesn't use artificial sweeteners. I believe he also spoke highly of a couple others, such as the Jay Robb brand, but I can't recall all of them. There were also some he did not recommend, like Muscle Milk... I oughta check my notes, haha. I'm still learning about all of this, truthfully! The ones that were recommended to me, were suggested because I am working on losing weight.

I keep seeing ads for Isopure but I don't know much about them. Their premade drinks look really good, though. http://www.theisopurecompany.com/en/drinks

I can't afford any protein powders :'(

Depending upon what your fitness needs are, you might be able to consider the ones they sell at Wal*Mart or Target. I forget which person it was, but one of the aforementioned ones that I spoke to said that the ones at the big box stores are actually alright. The hydrolyzed whey protein isolate powders are best for post-workout and if you are trying to lose weight, not build muscle mass. The trainer I spoke to mentioned casein protein powder for pre-workout and occasional meal replacement, but I didn't get to talk with him that long about that.

WinCo has a protein powder in their bulk section, but I don't have the details on it right now.