Calories

Options
I'm 179.8 & how many calories should I eat? I workout 3-4 times a week! ( mostly 3 ) & my goal weight is 145

Replies

• justianne82
    Options
    I suggest you to count your calories intake everyday.it is better if you will eat raw or fresh vegetables when having a snack or you can buy 100 calorie snack in the nearest supermarket. You should also drink at least 8 glasses of water every day and don't forget to exercise. Avoid eating sweets and junk foods as much as possible.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Did you enter your information when you signed up? The site should tell you how many calories to eat.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Find any number of online calculators, plug in your info, take number given (TDEE) and eat % less than that number for desired weightloss (shoot for .5-1% of bodyweight as weekly number for loss). Run with that number for a couple of weeks, take average weekly weightloss and adjust calories up or down in small increments accordingly.

So for example, if you come up with needing to eat 1500 calories (just using this number as an example only and nothing to do with your stats) daily and do this for 3-4 weeks, if at the end of that period, you lost 1-2lbs on average weekly, then you are golden and found your sweet spot. If you have lost less or maintained, then drop calories by about 50 or so and run another few weeks. If you lost kore than 2lbs, then you might want to increase calories by about 50 or so, but do these changes in small increments. Takes time and patience.

Note: this is a little different than how the default method of MFP does as you will have to account for activity logged back to eat back those calories, where the TDEE method takes into account your activity already, so you just eat the same (or about the same) everyday. Some people find this easier and more consistent, but that will ultimately be up to you.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Use this from Emma-Leigh

Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate for those who are relatively lean. Use if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

Again - these are BMR calculations. To convert to a TOTAL requirement you need to multiply the result by an 'activity variable'.
    This Activity Factor is the TOTAL cost of living, NOT JUST TRAINING. If you train 1 hr a day - CONSIDER WHAT YOU DO THE OTHER 23 HRS! It includes work, life activities, training/sport & the TEF of ~15% (an average mixed diet).
    Average activity variables are:
    1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, and Little Formal Exercise)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity AND light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You do understand that this tool will calculate all of that for you right?
  • back2thestart
    Options
    I would calculate your BMR and sustract 500 calories (that way you'll be losing a pound a week. Make sure to eat enough protein for muscle (that way you'll burn much more calories), vegetables for fiber (to feel full with less and that stuff), and just stay active.
    Eat frecuently for your metabolism to speed up and don't forget to drink TONS of water (but not too much or you'll suffer from water weight)
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    It's not just calories, it's what you eat.

For example, I would highly recommend to someone trying to lose lots of weight not to eat a donut and drink a sugary coffee drink for breakfast.

Once you get down to your ideal weight, you can eat donuts again. But keep weighing yourself to make sure you don't yo-yo back to your original weight. It happens all the time.

Weightloss and health are not necessarily the same thing. The OP's question had to do with weight-loss which is a simple matter of calories in vs calories out. From what source those calories are derived from is moot in regards of weightloss or weight gain. If you meant to address her health, then yes, there are food options that offer better micronutrient and balanced macronutrients for better health.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    You do understand that this tool will calculate all of that for you right?

#Dontcomplicateit

What's a good rate of loss for a 179 lb person though? 1 lb a week? A lot of people wind up in overly restrictive targets because everyone wants to lose "2 lbs per week"

OP, read the Sexy Pants post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I would calculate your BMR and sustract 500 calories (that way you'll be losing a pound a week. Make sure to eat enough protein for muscle (that way you'll burn much more calories), vegetables for fiber (to feel full with less and that stuff), and just stay active.
    Eat frecuently for your metabolism to speed up and don't forget to drink TONS of water (but not too much or you'll suffer from water weight)

You should not encourage people to eat below their BMR. Did you perhaps mean TDEE?

Eating frequently has no effect on metabolism.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

No. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) refers to the calories needed to merely exist. Any subtractions should come from TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It's not just calories, it's what you eat.

For example, I would highly recommend to someone trying to lose lots of weight not to eat a donut and drink a sugary coffee drink for breakfast.

Once you get down to your ideal weight, you can eat donuts again. But keep weighing yourself to make sure you don't yo-yo back to your original weight. It happens all the time.
    Nothing wrong with eating a doughnut or having a sugary coffee drink while maintaining a caloric deficit.

Depriving yourself of particular foods only for as long as you're losing weight does not sound like a realistic way to maintain the losses you worked to get.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting to reduce your lbs, then you must have to take care of your calories that how much you are taking exact that much calories you have to reduce which helps you in maintaining your weight and can reduce your lbs.