How often do you try new food?

Options
Do you always eat the same things or do you look for something new? If you try new things are they successful?

I like to try new recipes but mostly cakes, cookies and things that I do not need challenging me at this time.So I have tried some thinner recipes. The first one ( refried beans) was a disaster. I hated it and the rest of my family wouldn't touch it. I learned from my mistake and made some lentils today. They were acceptable. ( which means that I was able to eat it with out gagging and will be able to finish it for another meal)

If you try new recipes where do you look for them?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Pinterest! Also, magazines...old and new. My husband and I like to make collages as a hobby and we constantly have an influx of old magazines from 1960-2007, we have actually found better recipes (including light recipes) in those than in current magazines.

But yeah, definitely Pinterest!

We try new recipes every week, usually 1-2 along with our tried and true favorites.

As for trying a totally new-to-me food or type of cuisine, that is a little less often...maybe every 2 months.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I second Pinterest! It can be hit or miss, but I have found some awesome recipes there for sure.

As far as brand new to me foods, I am aiming for at least once a month. I recently tried fresh mango with breakfast and spaghetti squash for dinner for the first time. Definitely am NOT a fan of mango and the squash was just "eh" but I tried to cook it in the microwave and don't think it came out quite like it was supposed to, so I'm going to give it another shot in the oven before I totally dismiss it. Next on my list to try is eggplant.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I like to try new recipes as well as lower calorie versions of family favorites. I like finding recipes on allrecipes.com because there is a comments section which is very helpful to determine if the recipe is successful before you waste your time and money trying it. Usually others will give suggestions how they improved it as well. As for new foods in general, I am always looking for new lower calorie snack foods that are somewhat healthy and actually taste good. That is always a gamble lol. I recently discovered chocolate almond milk as an alternative to cows milk since I am lactose sensitive, and I love it!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    We try new recipes often--mostly successful, since we're both good cooks and know what we like. Completely new foods are less common, mostly because I've spent decades eating fairly adventurously and it's not easy to find something I've never tried in some form. The last thing was fried ricotta-and-honey-stuffed squash blossoms. High in calories and too fussy to make at home, but well worth enjoying in a restaurant.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    all the time! I love to cook and try new variations of classics.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm not one for following recipes... I tend to make it up as I go along and do food experiments.

I'm not averse to recipes though... I do follow them occasionally, but when I get a feel for how to make the dish I tend to leave the recipe and make my own little adjustments/variations.

For baking I stick to the recipe other than obvious substitutions (e.g. using butter instead of margarine because I don't see the point of margarine and would rather just have butter in sensible portion sizes)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Pretty often, but typically I'm totally out of ideas and looking online if I'm not looking for something specific is overwhelming.
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I love browsing through allrecipes looking for something new to make. Oddly enough, it was my complete lack of confidence in my cooking ability that forced me into trying new recipes all the time, because I used to be convinced that if I cooked without following a recipe, it would be disastrous. This is no longer true, but I still love having a lot of variety.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Since I'm a guy, I don't do pinterest. However, I have a small habit of picking up old and out of print cook books. They're almost always on the cheaper side, and they are absolute treasure trove of recipes. My current favorite is an austrian cookbook from the mid-30s.

I try to make something new a few times a week, and while I'm not sure what is meant by successful.... It's always good.

I'm honestly not sure when the last time I had a new cuisine before was, unless you count what passes for food in New England. I lived for 5 years in SF, there's no such thing as "new" to me anymore. ;) Except maybe for finnish food.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My newest "thing" is wild edibles. I never realized how much of my lawn could be put in a salad bowl. I haven't gotten up the courage to do it yet but have been picking at various weeds (staying away form anything that has a poisonous look-a-like) just to see how they taste. How do you log one leaf of sheep sorrel?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Since I'm a guy, I don't do pinterest.

This is what my husband thought...but now he's a big fan of the site actually.

There's no law that you have to pin baby clothes and manicure ideas ;-) We've planned hiking trips and vacations, and have secret boards, and completely tongue-in-cheek (humor) boards on Pinterest. Maybe give it a shot anyway!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I used to never try new foods, I was a picky eater until my mid 20's. NOW I try a new recipe (often with new ingredients) at least once a week. It has helped that my husband and I are part of a CSA (buy a "share" of a farm, and you get random veggies delivered to you every week or two) So now we will pick up our CSA share, and try and figure out what to do with some of the produce. For example, I had never eaten fennel before yesterday, or even thought about trying it. But 2 fennel bulbs came in our share last week, so yesterday we googled "fennel recipe" and found a nice pasta recipe to eat it with. For us having the CSA has helped us to discover a variety of different veggies.

Most of our new recipes come from Pinterest or Google. But in my opinion, there are a lot of "quick, easy & super high sodium" foods on Pinterest, that I'm not a fan of (think ground meat, a few cans of cream of soups, cheese and a bag of Doritos), so on Pinterest I definitely have to do some filtering to get around those meals.