Which do you track?

Options
MFP is set to track calories, fat, sodium, sugar, etc. Do you keep the default ones or do you track something different? I was wondering if calcium and Iron wouldn't be important to track. I tend to have smoothies throughout the day until a small dinner. I wanted to make sure I'm getting what I'm supposed to.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I track Calories, Carbs, Fat Protein, Iron and sodium.

It really depends on the individual though and where you think your weak spots are. I have a problem with Iron deficiency and having way too much processed foods. That is why I track Iron and sodium.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    You don't have to pick, if you use the phone app you can see all of them. On the computer you pick a few for your diary page, but if you go to reports, you can choose any/all of them to look at any time you want. I try to stick to a well rounded diet so I don't tend to focus on the micros and just try to hit the macros (fat, protein, carbs). I currently have fiber and potassium on mine, but also occasionally spot check sodium especially if I've eaten out.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    MFP is set to track calories, fat, sodium, sugar, etc. Do you keep the default ones or do you track something different? I was wondering if calcium and Iron wouldn't be important to track. I tend to have smoothies throughout the day until a small dinner. I wanted to make sure I'm getting what I'm supposed to.

That is exactly what I am tracking: protein, carbs, fat calcium and iron. I really don't stress about sugars or sodium but I have been anemic in the past so I watch iron and I am lactose sensitive so I need to eat other foods with calcium. They are the most important for me but it is highly individual depending on your dietary needs.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    On the website, I track Calories, Carbs, Protein, Fat, Sodium and Fiber.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Everything it will let me :) I just like the extra information.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Calories to assure that I am at a calorie deficit;
    Fat and protein to get the proper amount;
    Carbs because I am diabetic (no need to track carbs and sugar, it’s the same thing);
    Cholesterol because my LDL is too high;
    Sodium because I have high blood pressure.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    On the website, I track Calories, Carbs, Protein, Fat, Sodium and Fiber.

I track the same
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I track carbs, protein, fat, fiber, and sugar.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Carbs, fat, protein, sodium and fiber.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Total Cals, Carbs, Fats, Proteins, Calcium, and Fiber.

Couldn't get enough iron in, without supplements to fix my anemia, so no point tracking it. Sugar isn't very accurate because they count healthy fruit sugar, not just processed. Not sodium, because recent studies have indicated that sodium, even a lot of it, isn't the problem they thought it was. The American Heart Assoc even gave a nod to the new results, but said they weren't going to change their recommendations.

I do calcium, because if you don't get enough calcium in a day, then it gets pulled from our bones to maintain the calcium level in the blood. I do fiber, because it also has a lot of health benefits and usually the more fiber you get in something (unless it's a processed fiber product) the healthier the food is. But everyone has thinks that are more important to their health.