What scale should I buy?

Options
Hi.

I'm so confused. I went yesterday to buy a scale and there were so many. Apart from telling my weight, some included the BMI, muscle weight, body water, etc. do I really need all that information? Or one with just the weight is fine? Which one is the best option?

Replies

• apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Well.. I did not own a scale for many, many years. I actually didn't buy one until late May this year. I bought the most expensive one I can find (because I thought that equal accuracy??), and got the Withings scale that monitors weight, body fat, heart rate, and CO2 in the air. Overall I love the app it comes with but I should have gone with the slightly less expensive one that just measures weight and body fat. The rest I usually don't even notice.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Just weight for me. I didn't even know all these extra things existed when I got mine. I searched for a scale on Amazon and bought a pretty one that had nice ratings and a good price ($25 for me). My goal was to reduce weight so I just needed a tool to support that!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I would just get one that measures weight as everything else they claim to measure is not measured accurately.

I've had this one for 4 years and really like it: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Bathroom-Capacity-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808
  • dotcomee
    dotcomee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Aria wireless syncs to their site and you can sync that to myfitnesspal. I love it.
  • CagedBirdSings
    CagedBirdSings Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Our neighborhood RiteAid just installed a blood pressure machine that also weighs you and tells you your BMI. And you can create a user name and it will save your information for you. You might want to check that out if you don't want to spend the money.

I bought a Weight Watchers (weight only) scale at Walmart for about $30 a few years ago, but it doesn't fit well in our little toilet room. Think about that if you have a small area for a scale.

I love these other things, like the Fitbit Aria that dotcomee mentioned. Wow. I didn't know that existed.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I have the Tanita Ironman Scales but, to be honest, I don't think they're worth the investment. Body fat not accurate at all and not sure anything else is - except the weight. That's fine. The EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale and the other Eatsmart scale, both very inexpensive, are rated the best, most accurate scales by Consumer Reports and also a best seller on Amazon. If I were buying new scales, I would buy one of those. There is a new 2014 version with a few more features.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i don't like all the other measurements - they just drive me nuts. i have a basic, old fashioned, non-digital scale. what i like most about it is that we can easily verify it's accuracy by putting a 10lb weight on it - and it reads 10lbs on the dial. what i like least about it is that it refuses to cater to my obsessive weighing because it won't show ounces - but that's good for me, because then i can't obsessively weigh myself and chart every freaking ounce.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Our neighborhood RiteAid just installed a blood pressure machine that also weighs you and tells you your BMI. And you can create a user name and it will save your information for you. You might want to check that out if you don't want to spend the money.

I bought a Weight Watchers (weight only) scale at Walmart for about $30 a few years ago, but it doesn't fit well in our little toilet room. Think about that if you have a small area for a scale.

I love these other things, like the Fitbit Aria that dotcomee mentioned. Wow. I didn't know that existed.

I actually don't have room to store my scale flat and therefore store it on its side against a wall. Problem was I never for the longest time read the instructions that said you had to "reset" it properly each time you moved it. All I have to do now is lay it on a flat surface, stand on it with one foot, step off , let it go back to zero, wait till all the lights go out, then stand on it this time with both feet. It works perfectly this way
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Cheapest set of digital scales you can find. I just laid out 60 quid on a highfaulautin Tanita body comp scale. The scale part is just fine. Everything else is useless.

Stupid thing thinks im at 16% bodyfat with a 42 inch waist.
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I bought a well-rated scale on Amazon for about $12. All I needed was a fairly accurate digital scale, and it's been doing it's job very well. You can get one with all the other bells-and-whistles, but it wasn't necessary for my purposes.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Well...it really depends on what you want out of it. Any digital scale will work just fine. Before i got the aria, this was my old scale and it worked just fine. Just gave the basics
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Bathroom-Capacity-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406619385&sr=8-3&keywords=health+smart+scale

Now i have a fitbit aria and i can't imagine having anything else. Just step on, gives all your information and wireless sends it to your fitbit/fitness pal account so you don't have to write anything down. Everything is just logged for you. I like the lazy way of doing things. I feel like my weight fluctuates less with the Aria too, but it may just be my imagination