Squatting in high heels (wow, does THAT sound pr0n-y...)

Options
Hello MFPals!
I've been a member for a couple of years now and browse the forums every day, but haven't had a question until now (and I realize how stalkerish I might sound...sorry...)

Long chromosomal story short, the right side of my body is about a quarter-inch smaller and shorter than the left, split down the middle. Lucky me. While this sounds like something only a game show host charged with getting 'hidden talents' out of his contestants would care about, it has screwed my skeletal/muscular systems up to a fair degree. Case in point, my ability to do squats. I can't. At all. As you can imagine, due to being a malformed freak of nature, my balance is a little wonky and I can't bring my heels to the floor to stabilize myself in a squat. And I never though I could...until tonight.

When I threw on my heels. The high ones, specifically.

I don't wear heels very often (I basically live in Converse sneakers) but while puttering about my room I decided to put on a pair of cheap-*kitten* wedges I got off Amazon. 'Platform' is about a half-inch, heels about 4 inches. Then, for sh!ts and giggles, I decided to attempt a squat.

And it worked. Perfectly. One squat, oh no! 10? Hells yes! I had no problem with balance, my legs felt stable as all-git-out, and I got a good burn that I know will be sore tomorrow (that's a good thing). This worked so well that I can see myself squatting in my wedges quite often. I love weights and load-bearing exercise and seem to have earned the quiet acceptance of the guys in the weight room at my new gym, so obviously I'm not going to chuck my Chucks and slip on heels at the hip adduction station. BUT...would I completely **** myself up by doing so in the privacy of home?

So, far-more-knowledgeable MFPals– squatting in wedge heels, yay or nay? On the one hand it lets me DO squats, which I've never been able to do before (at least not without the biggest inflatable fitness ball on the market). On the other hand, I have enough trouble with my hips (again, I'm noticeably shorter on one side) that I don't want to damage anything more than it may be already. For any weight exercise I do 3 reps of 15 3 times (so 45 in total), adjusting if I've gotten used to the weight or am starting a new weight and can't do the full 45. My former trainer devised this for me so I mostly stick with it.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
~VL

Replies

• westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Squatting in a pair of fashion heels is a bad idea. Your balance side-to-side is going to be compromised, and your ankles are going to be vulnerable. HOWEVER...lifting shoes, the kind that Olympic lifters wear are designed with a small wedge so your heel is elevated. Look into purchasing a good pair of lifting shoes, it may do the trick for you.

Also, stupid question, but have you seen an orthopedist about your shorter side? My son has a genetic condition that causes hemi-hypertrophy (one side bigger than the other), and many of these kids have to have prescription lifts in one shoe to even out the leg length. This prevents all of the hip and spine issues that can be caused by having a significant discrepancy in leg length.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Squatting in a pair of fashion heels is a bad idea. Your balance side-to-side is going to be compromised, and your ankles are going to be vulnerable. HOWEVER...lifting shoes, the kind that Olympic lifters wear are designed with a small wedge so your heel is elevated. Look into purchasing a good pair of lifting shoes, it may do the trick for you.

Also, stupid question, but have you seen an orthopedist about your shorter side? My son has a genetic condition that causes hemi-hypertrophy (one side bigger than the other), and many of these kids have to have prescription lifts in one shoe to even out the leg length. This prevents all of the hip and spine issues that can be caused by having a significant discrepancy in leg length.

This.

I'll add only that as you increase the amount of weight you lift, that balance is going to be super important. You might be squatting fine now in heels... but that won't last and you will hurt yourself.

I actually squat barefoot (yes... scary... might stub toe or drop weight on foot). It helps me spread my toes and focus better on keeping the weight on the outside of my foot.

As an aside... I also have some hip/spine issues and have been told that one side of me is slightly shorter than the other. I started out doing squats with chairs on both sides of me so that I was using my arms to help lift me up. I also other exercises suggested by a specialized physical trainer (specializing in injuries and other hip/spine issues). It took months before I could squat.

With patience, you can learn to do it, and I think you'll find that squats help pull your body back into alignment.

Oh. And yoga. I found yoga helped too.
  • vegaslounge
    vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
    Options

This.

I'll add only that as you increase the amount of weight you lift, that balance is going to be super important. You might be squatting fine now in heels... but that won't last and you will hurt yourself.

I actually squat barefoot (yes... scary... might stub toe or drop weight on foot). It helps me spread my toes and focus better on keeping the weight on the outside of my foot.

As an aside... I also have some hip/spine issues and have been told that one side of me is slightly shorter than the other. I started out doing squats with chairs on both sides of me so that I was using my arms to help lift me up. I also other exercises suggested by a specialized physical trainer (specializing in injuries and other hip/spine issues). It took months before I could squat.

With patience, you can learn to do it, and I think you'll find that squats help pull your body back into alignment.

Oh. And yoga. I found yoga helped too.

Thank you both for your advice! I'm gonna reply to you both in one post for brevity's sake...

I haven't squatted in wedges more than the one time that prompted my question, and wouldn't continue to do so if it is going to mess me up. I have tried squatted barefoot as well– basically all the variants one can try, I have done so. (Barefoot, with a Swiss ball, hanging onto a bar, etc).

I have consulted several doctors/orthopedic surgeons etc...basically, there isn't much that can be done about my height discrepancy. I don't need a shoe lift (I'm not so short on that side that I can't walk etc) and am normally fine, aside from, well, this stupid squatting! The rational side of me says I should just skip squats altogether, but...but...they feel SO GOOD...

So, if squats are out of the question, could y'all recommend something similar, exercise-wise?

Thank you so much! ~VL

(PS: I hate yoga, lol. I know, I know, it's good and relaxing and rejuvenating and I have a hippie mother who made me go to her sessions...but I can't stand it. It is the most boring thing ever, at least for me. Clearing my mind of all thought paradoxically makes me the most anxious person on the planet.)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Find a yoga teacher different from your mom. Yoga can do much of the muscle work you are looking for.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    So, if squats are out of the question, could y'all recommend something similar, exercise-wise?

Deadlifts, leg press, lunges, knee extensions, hamstring curls
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    There's a vid e o online with a chick doing exactly this. It did not turn out well.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Honestly it sound less like the lengthy difference and more about the tightness of certain muscles

Next time you go to the gym try squatting with your heels on a plate - if you can squat fine its a muscular / skeletal imbalance and lifting shoes will help.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    There's a vid e o online with a chick doing exactly this. It did not turn out well.

you should probably link us that :smile:
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    If the difference isn't enough to impede walking, I don't know that it really is enough to truly impede squatting. It sounds more like a muscle imbalance or flexibility issue than anything, unless your pair of heels has a lift in one side to compensate for the balance. I know several women who found it nearly impossible to keep their heels on the ground when they started squatting due to weaker hamstrings and tight hip joints. I'd keep at it with a flat foot and see if your balance improves over time. Start with assisted squats then move up to free standing bodyweight squats. It will take some time to build up the balance and strength but it's far better than an injury from bad form.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're a freak, you just have tight hamstrings. A lot of people have this problem when the start squatting - I know, I did. Practise and stretching will help - heels will not. It actually sounds pretty dangerous.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Im sorry but I cant ignore the obvious. Why not just get a 1/4" heel lift and wear it in a shoe in the shorter side?

Also, Ill just leave this here...

http://stronglifts.com/squat/heels/
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

It's a deadlift, if we're thinking of the same one.

I still see that snap when I close my eyes sometimes. Once seen - it's hard to unsee...
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Im sorry but I cant ignore the obvious. Why not just get a 1/4" heel lift and wear it in a shoe in the shorter side?

My left leg is 3/4" longer than the right. No kidding - 3/4", per a CT scan.

Doctor recommended solution was to wear a 1/2" lift in my right shoe.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Deadlifts, leg press, lunges, knee extensions, hamstring curls

Also split squats, where you put one leg up on a bench behind you and squat on the other. I hate them, but they're so good, especially if you have an imbalance (I tend to use my right leg more than my left when doing conventional squats, and this has helped balance that out).
  • Alluminati
    Options

It's a deadlift, if we're thinking of the same one.

I still see that snap when I close my eyes sometimes. Once seen - it's hard to unsee...
    YUP.
    That be the one :sick:
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Honestly it sound less like the lengthy difference and more about the tightness of certain muscles

Next time you go to the gym try squatting with your heels on a plate - if you can squat fine its a muscular / skeletal imbalance and lifting shoes will help.

its a calf/ankle flexibility issue. heel just allows you to go deeper easier (more rom == better)
  • Alluminati
    Options

Here ya go.....1:56 if you have no patience. *shudder*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh_Px-5T4tY
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If the difference isn't enough to impede walking, I don't know that it really is enough to truly impede squatting. It sounds more like a muscle imbalance or flexibility issue than anything, unless your pair of heels has a lift in one side to compensate for the balance. I know several women who found it nearly impossible to keep their heels on the ground when they started squatting due to weaker hamstrings and tight hip joints. I'd keep at it with a flat foot and see if your balance improves over time. Start with assisted squats then move up to free standing bodyweight squats. It will take some time to build up the balance and strength but it's far better than an injury from bad form.

this. exactly.

Most people's legs/arms are shorter on one side. we all manage just fine.

If you struggle doing a regular squat it probably has a lot more to do with ankle and hip mobility- try squatting with 2.5 pound plates under your heels- to simulate the Olympic shoe with the heel.

Buy a foam roller.
    Read up on mobility and stretches and ways to improve your squat.

Because squatting in heels didn't change your height- or compensate for your shorter limb- it just reduce the amount your ankles need to to release.

Squatting in wedges or fashion heels is a disaster- you're going to add weight and snap the shoe and possibly your ankle. that's just dumb.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

Why did I watch this again? WHY?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

That was awesome.