Avocado

Options
DebTavares
DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
I have never tried avocado! I am trying to find healtthy sources of fats to meet my fat macro. How do you eat them? What do they taste like? Do they have to be ripe for you to eat them?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Wait for them to be ripe. Some people try to peal them. I cut mine like I am filleting a fish. Add salt and lemon. They brown quickly.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    They have to be ripe. A ripe avocado has a little give in it when you press down on the skin, but shouldn't fall apart.

If I'm eating half an avocado, I cut it lengthwise and use the half that doesn't have the pit. I scoop the flesh out with a spoon and weigh it and log it. Then I'll wrap the avocado with the pit still in it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it.

My favorite thing that I've had recently:
    A sandwich with:
    -Toasted Rye Bread
    -Sliced Avocado
    -Crispy Genoa Salami
    -Ripe Beefsteak Tomatoes
    -Light Mayo
    -Salt and Pepper

I like avocado as a topping on spicy soups or rice and bean dishes or egg dishes.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i love avocado in regular guacamole, spread on bread, sliced on salad or a sandwich. i also like mixing some with yogurt, lots of dill and pepper and just a little newman's light italian and eating it on tortilla chips as a dip.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I like to eat them with a spoon sliced in half, and lightly salted. They also taste great on salads and sandwiches, and one can never forget guacamole.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I love avocado.

I eat it as guacamole, on a sandwich, and in salads.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I mash mine up for sandwich spread instead of mayo etc...or on my lean turkey burger. Add a little siracha to spice it up
  • laizeohbeets
    Options
    Avocado doesn't have much of a flavor. It's not quite as flavorless as tofu, but it's mostly pretty un-flavorful. The best description is like, mild sharpness of cheddar but without a cheddar taste. That's why it's best with some salt or spicy peppers.

You don't want to buy the avocados that are green outside. They need to be on the blacker side, soft but not too soft. If they're not ripe, they have a stronger flavor that I'm not a fan of, as well as being difficult to cut up.
  • eric5577
    eric5577 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love it also! I have used to make chicken salad instead of mayo, I make a quac that I spreed on salmon burgers, and the quac of course...i eat it with sea salt, lime and pepper for a snack. Cut it up and use it on my turkey burgers, spread for a grilled ckn sandwhich. I could find something to make with it 7 days a week!!!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I love it. I make sure to get the Haas vs Florida grown varieties.
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I like to eat them with a spoon sliced in half, and lightly salted. They also taste great on salads and sandwiches, and one can never forget guacamole.

How do you slice a spoon in half? I've tried and just can't get a smooth edge so it doesn't cut my mouth up when I use it. :)
  • Eringettingfit8
    Options
    I've fallen in love with avacado over the past year. I eat one nearly everyday. My favorite ways to eat it are cut up into chunks with scrambled eggs or I spread it on toast with salt and pepper.
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love avocado....I like it just sliced, but I also like using it in place of mayo....I will make egg salad with it and tuna salad...good stuff!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat them on pretty much everything.

Burgers, salads, sandwiches, wraps etc.

Fav is on a burger with hot peppers...

ETA: it's not so much the taste but the tetxture...oh and btw you can freeze them too...
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Avocadoes are so versatile. This morning I subbed avo for mayo in my tuna. Love them in sandwiches / wraps, eaten plain with dash of salt and heavy on hot sauce; salads
  • Treecat47
    Treecat47 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ripe and as part of a smoothie (half). I also enjoy half out of it's skin and as a part of guacamole. i love avocado!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    yum! guac for sure lol but i tend to eat them in my days as a side with a lil s&p, if i'm eating bread, toasted tomato and avocado sammich with mayo is yum, or add it to a BLt,

also on salad or like today i have a mix of cucs, tomatoes, red onion, 1/4 avocado, some cottage cheese with a bit of s&p thats lunch :)
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Cut in half and twist it to pull away from the pit. Scoop each half out of the skin with a metal spoon (sort of like the same motion of scooping icecream).

I eat the whole avocado in one sitting, drizzle a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and add a dash of salt.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I use them as a sauce for pasta or spread on sandwiches. I just made some last night: scooped out 2 avocados, lemon juice, 1 T olive oil, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes and blitz in a food processor until smooth. Basically, guacamole but smoother. You need rip avocados, otherwise it just gets chunky. Still tastes ok but the texture is off.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I love smashing up a couple avocados with some lemon or lime juice and some salt. I use it as veggie/chip dip, serve with tacos/burritos, or as spread on a sandwich (instead of Mayo). Or I just eat it :happy: And I always order a side of guacamole when I go to my favorite mexican restaurant.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Avocados don't have a very strong flavor and are awesome sweet or savory.

Freeze them with a very ripe banana and some berries and run it through my masticating juicer with the blank plate on... it sends out the most wonderful and delicious "ice cream"!

Avocados are also great drizzled with honey and eaten at breakfast

Toss half an avocado into a smoothie

Dice them and eat them with eggs and salsa

Top your tacos with sliced avocado instead of sour cream

Use avocado and full fat greek yogurt as a base for bleu cheese dressing or other salad dressings

dice them up and toss them in salads

Make guacamole.

Use as a sandwich topping instead of mayo or oil.

Eat them plain or with a sprinkle of salt.

I'm living in North Africa right now and the open market behind the mosque does not ever have avocados. I've seen them in some of the larger grocery stores like Carrefour but they're mad-crazy expensive and never very good so I don't even bother buying them anymore.

Here's a tutorial on how to pick a good ripe avocado: http://www.nwedible.com/2012/05/never-buy-a-rotten-avocado-again.html