Social Media

Options
cakebatter07
cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
How do you feel about social media? Do you enjoy using it? What kind of social media do you have? I only have Facebook now and whatsapp, but I only use that to talk to my friend who is in Lebanon.
I deleted my instagram, snapchat, and kik. I kind of want to delete my Facebook too, but I think I'm going to hold on to it for now...
I personally need a break from social media.
Have you ever deleted your profile on a social media website? Is your life better/same/worse without it?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I have social media with Facebook and here. It's really all about balance IMO. I like to hear what my friends and family are up to, but I don't need up to the minute updates. I hit FB up every couple of days or so and am on here everyday for personal and volunteer reasons. But I still spend a good amount of time with family on a daily basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • humble_mumble
    Options
    I deleted all my social media accounts January this year, haven't regretted it for a second. People spend way to much time on those, so was I. It was like a drug, every spare time I checked one of my feeds, it was fun for a bit but it really just a bad habit.

I would say my life i the same and even better after the decision.
  • cakebatter07
    Options
    I have social media with Facebook and here. It's really all about balance IMO. I like to hear what my friends and family are up to, but I don't need up to the minute updates. I hit FB up every couple of days or so and am on here everyday for personal and volunteer reasons. But I still spend a good amount of time with family on a daily basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I definitely agree with balancing it. I check my Facebook multiple times per day, I need to get in the habit of checking it less.
    And I guess I consider MFP a social media website too...so add that to my list. :-)
  • cakebatter07
    Options
    I deleted all my social media accounts January this year, haven't regretted it for a second. People spend way to much time on those, so was I. It was like a drug, every spare time I checked one of my feeds, it was fun for a bit but it really just a bad habit.

I would say my life i the same and even better after the decision.

I feel the same way as you do. And that's good, good for you!
  • adman50
    adman50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Deleted Facebook back in November and not even once have I regretted it.

It causes too many problems with relationships, waste of time and if I want to speak to someone I will email, WhatsApp or call. I don't miss the "look at me" statuses or finding out what everyone had for dinner nor endless pictures of babies.

I lurk on Twitter for football information and use as Body Building Forum but that's about it.

Once the FB app is deleted off your phone and deactivated it's job done seriously.

Try for a week and feel the benefit.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    social media is fun. i only have facebook and this website. i like them both. i see nothing detrimental about either. i don't know why people complain about them all the time, especially as it's very easy to remove it from one's personal life if it's that bothersome.
  • lewoldt
    lewoldt Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth with social media. I net my girlfriend because of it, but I see where it can be a little TMI at times. I have taken breaks from it at times. Like anything else. Anything in moderation is okay.
    Live your life.. Don't post it
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I enjoy social media. I use Facebook for keeping in touch with friends from high school and college, and I use this site for fitness and making new friends. I tried to start twitter and Instagram accounts, but I just can't seem to bring myself to care about them.
  • lewoldt
    lewoldt Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I enjoy social media. I use Facebook for keeping in touch with friends from high school and college, and I use this site for fitness and making new friends. I tried to start twitter and Instagram accounts, but I just can't seem to bring myself to care about them.

Agreed about Instagram and Twitter.. I can't get into either of them
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I like Facebook and MFP.
  • quinnzellah
    quinnzellah Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have Facebook but rarely check it - my phone won't comply with the app so I only check FB when at my PC (which is quite rare). The only friends I have is those not living in the same country as myself - all the others (such as family) I keep in touch via phonecalls or email. I do have IG but never post personal pics, they're mostly just my artwork really. I used to be a lot on twitter but it's not interesting anymore. I don't feel like sharing anything lately, and I don't care about others atm. Trying to cut back on social media as it's basically proven to be more of an "anti-social" media: people have all these friends but still choose to block their updates (or mute). What's the point of having friends if you don't care about what they're up to? I deleted 90% of my FB "friends" and the rest I love very dearly, so I kept them. None of them are notorious FB addicts, they check in occasionally and that's just fine with me. I don't judge those who are on every social mediasite, it's a great way of making friends and meeting new people. To each their own, as always.
  • osudtudent8
    Options
    i deleted Facebook but now I just spend more time on YouTube and instagram.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I don't have Facebook and never have. My only social media outlet is MFP. I guess I like to converse with complete strangers rather than people I actually know.

The one down side to not having Facebook is I have lost touch with some people over the years who I would probably still see now and then (they moved away, changed phone numbers ect..). But I don't regret being not being on Facebook, I don't want to deal with nonsense and drama that I am sure would ensue.

My wife teases me about MFP because I won't sign up for FB (she says MFP and FB are practically the same) but at least with MFP I am taking with people that share the same interests and goals as I do. I don't post my life on here; I talk about food, sports and fitness.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    Facebook and here, that's it
  • drewba13
    drewba13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I spend the bare minimum amount of time on Facebook. The only other communities I interact with are MFP and Reddit. As much as I'd like to delete Facebook, people share a lot of information on Facebook only and then are not bothered to share with those that do not have Facebook.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I have FB and MFP.

I have FB so I know what's going on in my daughters' lives.

I have MFP, so I can know what's going on in your lives.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I only have Facebook and MFP and usually check them once a night when I'm at work. That's about it. I believe it only causes drama if you let it and have those kind of friends. I don't do Twitter because I don't want minutes by minute updates on crap.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Facebook, but I'm not on 24/7 and MFP. I have Twitter and Instagram accounts, but I don't use them at all. I just don't understand how people with multiple social media accounts keep up with it all and/or have time for "real" life!