My clothes don't fit....

Options
So, since losing 34lbs my clothes no longer fit, everything that I own is too big. I know that's not a bad problem to have but it's very frustrating. The obvious solution is to buy new clothes, but I have at least 30-40 lbs left to lose so I feel that is a waste. When did you buy new clothes? Did you wait until you lost all of your weight or buy clothes as you needed them? I don't want to be wasteful but I also want to look nice in my clothes, right now I look like I'm wearing someone else's clothes unless I have on tights and a tshirt.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I bought new clothes when I needed them. Typically about every 15-20lbs...

Not a whole new wardrobe but enough to get by.

I am still getting rid of stuff to be honest...ie this morning put on a shirt...was wayyyyyy to big...*cried* not really but you know what i mean...dug out another shirt...put it on...a little too big but I have it on anyway....

You have a choice you can pick up some nice pieces at reasonable prices that you can mix and match, go to thrift stores or trade with others who may have stuff that is too small/big for them now.
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to buy new clothes, go to a seamstress and have them taken in. Or go to a store like Goodwill where you can find cheap clothes that will get you through until you hit your goal weight and can buy brand new clothes.
  • tazhinshaw
    tazhinshaw Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Also shop cheap, go to goodwill or yard sales
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have so many clothes in my closet in different sizes that I will be able to just wear the stuff I kept for a bit, but when it gets to a point where I run out of the stuff I have( I plan to get smaller than what is in my closet) i will either make due or probably go to a resale shop. We have some in the area that sell a lot of brand name clothes for much less than shopping in retail stores and buying brand new. So for the interim that will work. Of course once I am at my goal I plan to do a little shopping because I will deserve it!! :) Great job on your loss so far and continued success to you on your journey!
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try a local thrift shop such as Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. I find all of my in-betweens there, and if you look carefully, you can even find brand new items that still have the original tags on them. (I got brand new Levi's for 4.29 last fall). You've got to be choosy, but you can find great clothes that fit at a fraction of the cost of buying new.
    I am also a part-time seamstress, so I take in my own clothes as well. I don't have any of my "fat" clothes anymore because I took them in as far as I could (my back pockets were almost touching each other in one pair of pants!) I kind of wished I had kept one of those pairs so I could do a before/after pic wearing them. It wouldn't be so dramatic as fitting in 1 of the legs, but it was still a significant loss.
    Hope you can find some great deals!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I did buy new clothes along the way, but really basic things. Old Navy has a big variety for pretty inexpensive prices, JCPenney has good sales, etc.

The thing that the most expensive is replacing bras, as they're around $65 a pop! :noway: But a properly fitting bra makes so much difference in your appearance and the fit of your clothes that it's worth it.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    EBay or charity shops! Donate or sell anything that doesn't fit and pick up a few cheap items which can then be sold or donated further on down the line. Personally, due to finances i sell mine on ebay then use the money to buy new stuff :)
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I bought new clothes when I needed to. It was a great reward for me to buy cute new stuff in a size or two smaller. It kept me motivated to stay on track so I didn't have to go back into my bigger clothes. I'm looking forward to buying more new stuff when I'm ready to go another size down :)
  • Soultwist
    Soultwist Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Defiantly hit up a goodwill. Go today, it's half off day on some items. Bring some of your clothes that no longer fit for a donation while your at it.

In the long run hopefully you can donate em all back in an buy a new wardrobe in the future.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm at that stage too, I've always worn quite baggy clothes but its getting ridiculous now. Think I'm going to do what others have suggested - get a few cheap bits to get me through the next couple of months. Then when target weight is hit go on a mega shopping trip!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've made shirts and dresses work along the way by tying them or belting them so that they fit better. I still have a couple of things that I wore when I was at my largest that I can still wear if I style them correctly.

Pants are pretty much impossible to do that with (and I can't stand wearing baggy pants), so I just made sure I had 1-2 pairs that fit well as I went along. I always hit up the clearance racks (Target and JC Penney are usually my best bets) and pretty much never spend more than $20 a pair, usually closer to $10. :smile:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 lbs so there was no way I could wear my old clothes until I lost ALL my weight. At first I started using a belt on my pants but then it started to look like I was wearing a potato sack. So, my solution? I went to thrift / second-hand stores. I couldn't justify spending a boat-load of money on clothes that would be too big on me in a few months time. I found nice clothes (sometimes with the tags still on them) for CHEAP and it didn't break the bank. I also scored some good deals online and in clothing stores on clearance items.

The one thing that sucks is I bought a bunch of nice tops last summer (brand new) and they are all too big on me now....and I really really like them. :sad: Good problem to have, I know.
  • ellechim1
    ellechim1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't know about other areas but here in Michigan the Salvation Army has a sale on Friday and Saturday. You get 5 items (of a certain tag color) for $5! That's a buck for jeans! Can't beat that.

My big issue is all my undies are sliding down under my clothes LoL I just have to suck it up and get some new ones :)

Congratz on the loss
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky in having an extensive wardrobe to 'slim into'. But I've had to pick up one or two things that I desperately needed - bras (unfortunately couldn't do that on the cheap) and a couple of lightweight jackets and a bunch of cheap t-shirts for work. Otherwise I've been taking in the clothes I can (I'm not a professional seamstress by any stretch of the imagination) and using lots of belts to keep things up or cinched in.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I hit up the thrift stores and places like Ross, Marshalls or TjMaxx for inexpensive clothing, and I plan on investing in a few nice pieces of clothing after I hit my goal weight, but I've always been pretty cheap when it comes to spending money on clothes. You can buy some nice pieces, and have them altered a few times as you drop sizes.
  • Shimmysista
    Shimmysista Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70, about the 35 pound mark i only got 2 shirts and 1 pair of pants and still wore my bigger baggy clothes with a belt because i couldnt afford multiple outfits ( we are going through a really tough time financially at home this yr) Then when i got about 10 pounds from where I am at now and noticed my measurements really havent been changing drastically anymore i bought all new ( although its crazy my husband now has more clothes than me lol... At least rebuilding is fun :D )
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I buy clothes whenever I need them. I think it really helps with the self esteem and really makes you feel good about yourself when you can go in the store and buy smaller clothes. I don't care that I am going to need to buy more clothes in a couple of months, I just bag up the clothes that no longer fit and give them away to the womans shelter. My work clothes are professional, so I know that they can use them to find jobs and that makes me feel even better!!
  • Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Go to the second hand stores. A lot of them have some really nice clothes and affordable. They have many dot or color days where things with certain tags are a percentage off the already low price. A couple of new things to you may make you feel better too. Realize your accomplishment. Congrats on your journey so far.
  • tammytindall
    Options
    Go ahead and buy them. Looking good in just the right fitting of clothes is a great boost of confidence and encouragement. And most definitely donate your "too big" clothes to Goodwill. If you hate to buy new clothes after losing weight, think about how bad you will hate to buy them if you gain weight back. This way if you do feel the pounds trying to sneak back up, you will know that it is time to re-evaluate your decisions and do what it takes not to outgrow those "skinny" clothes instead of getting comfortable again in the bigger clothes.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Try tailoring some of the outfits that you want to keep but are too expensive to replace (i.e. work suits and blazers, favorite outfits, etc.). The casual clothes will be easier to find in the thrift and goodwill stores.