Help eating out tonight and not sure what is lowest in calor

Options
I'm going out tonight for dinner and i've just had a look at the menu, i'm not sure which meal will be the lowest in calories. Can anyone help?? The options are:

Classic Caesar Salad served with marinated fresh anchovies & strips of chicken

Linguini pasta with roasted red pepper, tomato, buffalo mozzarella & basil

Free range chicken breast, shallot & thyme potato rosti and creamed leeks

I was thinking perhaps the caesar salad, but then the dressing might be quite high in calories?!

Thanks!

Replies

• denise309
    Options
    If you go with salad get the dressing on the side...then dip your fork into dressing then salad, you save A TON of calories that way!!!
  • cakenedith2
    cakenedith2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    maybe the chicken breast with roasted potatoes. maybe ask for steamed veggies instead of creamed leeks? creamed leeks might be high in fat/calories.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The chicken and roasted potato sounds the healthiest to me. The dressing on the salad might be too much
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I do the same as denise309 :tongue:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the Caesar salad with dressing on the side. I can make a little Caesar dressing go a LONG way. (I'd also pick off a lot of the croutons... those are really high in calories).

The pasta *really* doesn't sound that bad for you either, if it isn't cooked with a lot of olive oil (which is still good for you, but higher calorie). It is just really hard for me to eyeball a portion of pasta at a restaurant since they usually serve 2-3 times the healthy serving size!
  • denise309
    Options
    I do the same as denise309 :tongue:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE real ranch dressing...especially when out for dinner so I dont skimp on it, dip the fork and you get the real flavor :love:
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Chances are, the salad is pre-mixed and then served from one big bowl onto the individual plates. So if you cant get the dressing on the side, I would opt for the chicken and ask for steamed veggies instead of the leeks and potatoes. Some people have allergies, so the kitchen will likely be able to accomodate a small menu change like that.

Enjoy!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Google it...put the place your eating then nutrition....it might help you. I do it all the time. It gives you a good idea. Sometime the dish you think would be the healthest is the worst. Does the restaurant have a website? It may help also.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SALAD!!!!

The Caesar is about 1500 calories!!! Caesar salad snacks is what did me in on my cruise in 2009 that brought me to MFP. Gained 8lbs in 10 days, that’s over 5000 cals a day (and I worked out in the gym daily). How is that possible? Two Caesar salads a day was the main contributor, lunch + dinner and then other snacks. I know that now so don't make that same mistake.

Pick free range chicken breast, shallot & thyme potato rosti and creamed leeks. Rosti is in the MFP database (it’s just shredded potato with some oil) so you can add it, it’s not bad and creamed leeks may have some cream obviously but they don’t sound yummy so you can either count them or don’t eat them.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about it, you might try something customized. Tell them you want a grilled chicken breast with a plain salad, dressing on the side, and maybe a fruit of some kind. See what they say. I've heard most restaurants that have the capability, will make those exceptions for you.
  • sbechdel
    sbechdel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with dave4d. Late in the day it's best to stick with proteins and veggies and cut the carbs if possible.
  • srhcrne
    srhcrne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    creamed leeks will be heavy cream, butter and possibly sour cream- not good! Depending on the size if the potato ( it will be fried) this dish I am guessing at 1500 cals

Buffalo Mozz will be full fat and the extra portion size of the pasta- easily 1200 cals

The salad is your option, the dressing MUST be on the side- the anchovies are likey in olive oil so that is a good thing. The chicken hopefully is grilled.

My son is a chef, I see how food is made to taste great, even if it appears healthy.

Will there be bread and rolls at the table?
  • DawnG41182
    Options
    I found a website..it is www.calorielab.com You plug in the restaurant and if it is in there you can pull up the entire menue and all of the Calories, Calories from Fat, etc. It is a really helpful site that for me helps take some of the stress out of dining out.
  • autumntia
    autumntia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm going out tonight for dinner and i've just had a look at the menu, i'm not sure which meal will be the lowest in calories. Can anyone help?? The options are:

Classic Caesar Salad served with marinated fresh anchovies & strips of chicken

Linguini pasta with roasted red pepper, tomato, buffalo mozzarella & basil

Free range chicken breast, shallot & thyme potato rosti and creamed leeks

I was thinking perhaps the caesar salad, but then the dressing might be quite high in calories?!

Thanks!

I honestly would go with the Free-range Chicken and only eat half of the meal and fill up on water with Lemon.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SALAD!!!!

The Caesar is about 1500 calories!!! Caesar salad snacks is what did me in on my cruise in 2009 that brought me to MFP. Gained 8lbs in 10 days, that’s over 5000 cals a day (and I worked out in the gym daily). How is that possible? Two Caesar salads a day was the main contributor, lunch + dinner and then other snacks. I know that now so don't make that same mistake.

Pick free range chicken breast, shallot & thyme potato rosti and creamed leeks. Rosti is in the MFP database (it’s just shredded potato with some oil) so you can add it, it’s not bad and creamed leeks may have some cream obviously but they don’t sound yummy so you can either count them or don’t eat them.

This.

Caesar salads are often nothing more than a lettuce as a vehicle for three main things: cheese, croutons and really fattening dressing.

Go with the chicken and see about substituting your side for some other healthy vegetable.
  • kilroyscarnival
    kilroyscarnival Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you strip the caesar salad of the dressing, croutons, and cheese, there isn't much to it and it won't be very satisfying. If you have it all it'll certainly be high in calories and fat. I love caesar salads, but do better with a small one than a main course.

First, look at what you're eating/have eaten the rest of the day. Hopefully you went a little lighter but didn't starve yourself.

I would vote for the chicken, the potato rosti (roasted potatoes, and watch the portion if it's a lot) and substitute a grilled, steamed, or roasted vegetable. Surely they can accommodate that. Also, don't be afraid to ask the waiter whether there's a sauce on the chicken, and you can always shed the skin. You want to have a satisfying meal, show you're in control to your companions, be gracious to the staff, and enjoy yourself!

:)
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    I would go with the pasta, because of the dressing on the salad. Also, the pasta has lots of veggies, and should be the most filling option on there. I would eat half and start with a garden salad or broth-based soup to fill you up. Here are some tips for making it even better:

Ask for double veggies

Ask for light butter

Always sip water with your meal. It'll keep you from filling up too fast or mindlessly eating (I like sparkling or soda water personally).

Make the conversation the centerpiece of the meal, not the food. Enjoy yourself!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    maybe the chicken breast with roasted potatoes. maybe ask for steamed veggies instead of creamed leeks? creamed leeks might be high in fat/calories.

I agree with this - probably best nutritionally too. Pasta would be my second choice.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Ceasar dressing is obnoxious in calories!

I'd do the above and replace the potatoes too--often they're roasted in gobs of oil. It's hard to eat out but you're doing a great job just by planning before you go! Definitely a successful plan!

Good luck and I hope it's DELICIOUS! :tongue:
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If the calories aren't listed online, I would try and figure out what each item is. Compare to similar items at other restaurants, google each item and see what pops up for calorie counts. This will give you better idea of what you are dealing with. But here are my thought on each dish:

Classic Caesar Salad served with marinated fresh anchovies & strips of chicken - Like most people have been say get the dressing on the side. This helps reduce the calories you are consuming . The rest of it doesn't seem to be unhealthy.

Linguini pasta with roasted red pepper, tomato, buffalo mozzarella & basil - AVOID just sound loaded with calories, cheese can really add them on.

Free range chicken breast, shallot & thyme potato rosti and creamed leeks- This sound like a healthier options. I would switch out the creamed leeks for steamed veggie (most places dont have issues with this.)