Can I do p90x?

Options
(Sorry for the double post, I posted this on a different category and haven't gotten any responses, thought I'd try it here).

I keep hearing about this P90X thing, and I've looked through the forum archives a bit to see some information on it.

I read somewhere that you have to be in decent shape to start it... Can I get clarification?
I'm pretty overweight, but can do some intense cardio on an elliptical, for example. edited: to clarify, machines will read that I burn about 800 calories after 45 minutes. I'm not your stereotypical big guy moseying along on the elliptical :-)

Also, is there anywhere to get it for less than $100?

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you check out Power 90 by the same company, Beachbody. It is the precursor program to P90X and will help with your cardio endurance. It is a cheaper DVD as well.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    P90X has a fit test that you should be able to do before you start. I believe it is like 20 push ups, 3 pull ups, some stretching thing, and a few other things, I can't remember.
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen it for less than 100 anywhere. I did P90 first and then P90X and I was 70 pounds overweight when I started I did it that way because that's what I had but you can most certainly do P90X just modify if you need to. Good luck and have fun
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I think anyone can do it...you'll just start out slower than others. As long as you are in ok shape with no major health issues (heart etc) you should be fine. You'll see progress each week.

Check Ebay or Craigslist for people selling it. You might be able to get it under 100.
  • mammogirll
    Options
    Friends have told me the P90x is very difficult. Seems like it is for the ones who don't need to lose a lot of weight or are fairly active. I thought about getting & using it but instead went with the wii fit w/balance board & wii active, more activities. I really need to get wii active 2 for the heart monitor & leg band but have been managing w/o it for now. The activities have been very motivating. Pour sweat doing them on days I can't get outisde to walk/jog.
  • Linnsey
    Options
    I did P90X before my wedding last September, but I started exercising consistently and intensely for about two months beforehand. I agree with the previous posts about doing Power 90 first. The P90X exercises would not benefit you if you can't do them. I definitely struggled with seeing results in the beginning because I had such a hard time doing all of the exercises (i.e. pushups, pull ups, etc.) And, the really intense workouts (Plyo X) are still difficult even after completing the program. Keep in mind that you need to dedicate about an hour and fifteen minutes six days a week to do the program as suggested. We bought ours on eBay for about $75 and it came with a complete set, including all of the books. Good luck and you'll be ready in no time!
  • syparkes
    syparkes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love p90X. make sure that you can do all the pre requisits. But the good thing about it is that it is a video..... you do what you can do ... if you need to stop then you stop. This program does work. I found it 94$ ( found on ebay) well spent.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • JaimeNay
    JaimeNay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I haven't worked out in 7 years when I jumped in with both feet and started P90X. I couldn't do more than one push up and not 1 pull up, but I did my best and stuck to it, even though I was sore the first week. (Keep with it and you won't be sore like that anymore). I feel great about myself, my strength has increased and I lost almost 10 inches off my body the first 30 days. Just remember, nobody will be able to keep up their first time. Just do your best, that's what Tony (the instructor) says. You'll see an increase in performance day by day. It's tough but if you have determination, there's no doubt in my mind you can do it.

That being said, you don't want to cut yourself short of buying the program off ebay etc. When you buy from the beachbody website, you get a 60 day money back gurantee and access to other tools on the website. Plus there is also great support from other P90Xers there. If you purchase the program from another website, you may not get all the fitness/nutrition guides that come with it too. If you sign up to be a member you get 10% off and coaches get 30% off. I paid only $89 for it when I signed up to be a coach. If you want more info, just message me.
    Power 90 is a good program to start if you are uncertain, but like I said, I just did it. Somedays I thought I was going to die, but I felt great afterward. The accomplishments I've made are remarkable. What a great program to start. Good luck!