Who hates weekends?

Options
I find myself really struggling on the weekend. I am going to the gym 5-6 times a week, always monday - friday, I rotate Saturday and Sundays so i usually go 6 times a week (i like to have a full 24 hours, sometimes 48 hour rest period with no exercise other than walking to the fridge or getting groceries)

I feel if I do not go to the gym every day though, I really struggle on the weekend. I get lazy and it is easier to have that box of kraft dinner or make that pizza because I am home and being lazy.

I find if there were no weekends, I would be very ahead in the game, but I feel Saturday and Sundays push me back

Anyone else struggle with the weekends?? Any tricks people use to stay motivated on the weekends?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    tell me about it. im almost positive i'd be at my goal weight now if not for weekends. but it is what it is, you have to enjoy yourself sometimes. the trick is to stay active, find a hobby that gets you out of the house. if im at home, its way to easy to go into the pantry and reach for that bag of chips
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I use to hate the weekends until I figured out that I am not letting it stop me from doing what I got to do. I eat what I want but I still watch what I am doing. I don't want to pay for it later. I put in too much work to screw up what I have done just for something that tastes good for 5 minutes. I have cheat days now and again but I still do it with in reason. I use to also get upset because I didn't like exercising with other people around. Now I don't really care. I am not letting anything stop me from getting where I want to be.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    yea, I blew it eating wise BUT I did exercise both Saturday and Sunday so I don't feel so bad.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    To be honest I love my weekends...those are my days off...from work...

I typically don't "work out" on the weekends either...unless you count 15k+ steps a day not working out.

It's my time to relax, have a drink, eat that food I don't during the week and if I feel like baking cookies, I do...well I did this weekend.

Can it hamper weight loss...a bit yes...I had a goal of 1600 when I was losing...I averaged 1750...mainly due to weekends but I was good with that...you have to live life...just because you are trying to lose weight doesn't mean life stops...

Life will always happen..when you are trying to lose weight and when you are trying to maintain...just find that balance.

ETA: my tricks are typically to watch my weekly goal instead of daily. I watch daily but it's my weekly that really counts. Treat the weekends as those days where you can experiment with new food. You have the time to go shopping for fresh ingredients look up a recipe you think looks good and spend some time cooking it. If you don't want to do your "normal" workout try something new and fun...I like going to a place called tree go...it's a workout but so much fun.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-5WEWU2vL1e1bP1t6wJxRy0kiyd3uEUV17C-KCJFf-LWd41b-

Lord no, I don't have to work so I LOVE my weekends. The nice think about weekend workouts for me is I can do them whenever I want...don't have to get up early. In the summer it's nice as I can go for a long bike ride, run, take the dog for a long walk. I find the weekends give me a lot more freedom and time then when I am rushed during the work week.

Edited to add more.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I love weekends because I can sleep in - no work! Only thing is, I can get over my limit. Kinda hard to count calories at parties, get togethers and such which are generally on weekends. But oh well it's back to counting on Monday!
  • hmroebuck
    hmroebuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ugh, weekends are super tough for me because we usually are out of the house and eating at restaurants from Friday night through Sunday night. If we happen to be home, there is usually a gathering of some sort here or with neighbors that involves alcohol. Weekends are definitely something I need to work on!
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Weekends are the hardest for me too. First is the alcohol. I usually drink Friday, Saturday and have bloody marys or beers on Sunday. It's not always a lot but at least 1-2. Then, the social gatherings. Our summer has been so busy with weddings, parties and bbqs. I try to make the best choices, but it's not always healthy. Lastly, I spend any other free time running errands, cleaning or spending time with my family. I don't usually get my workouts in. I know I have a time/life/priority management problem, and I'm working on that. It's especially frustrating on Monday mornings when I know I have to work all week long to get the dang "weekend bloat" off. It's been a cycle for the last 2 months. I feel like I'll never hit my goal. I hope some people here have helpful suggestions or tips that work for them!
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My biggest "trick" is not having those kinds of food in the house in the first place. I know myself well enough to know that, if it's here, at some point I am going to eat it.

Second "trick": I work out 5 days a week, Sunday - Thursday. Fridays and Saturdays are my off days. On those days, I give myself a "cheat" by allowing myself to eat to maintenance rather than at a deficit. Does it slow my overall progress? Not nearly as much as a "binge" day would, that's for sure. Plus, giving myself the freedom to eat those extra calories really does feel like a treat.
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    I LOVE them. I get the opportunity to really control when I eat and get some 20 hour fasts in too.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Weekends are awesome.

Now I have to drop a few pounds to get back to goal. :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Weekends kicks *kitten*...

I'd suggest a hobby...

Also, maybe don't keep that stuff in the house if it's an issue.
  • inneedofanap
    inneedofanap Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My diet tanks on Saturdays but I do pretty good on Sundays. I typically take a 5+ mile walk on Sundays and find that I'm not eating as much because of it.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    oddly enough, i tend to eat less on the weekends. I don't know if it is out of laziness of not wanting to make anything for myself or what.
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    I've found that weekends are vital to really wrestling yourself on to a great platform for the coming week, for even more definition, weight loss or muscle gain or whatever your goal is. It's really easy to F things up on a Saturday party or a big greasy breakfast Sunday.
  • dizy17
    dizy17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    weekends have been a struggle for me lately as well. summer time, BBQ's and lots of family gatherings but I try to work out on the weekends to make up for it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time not eating the world on the weekends. Family Sunday dinners at my mom's are the worst. Consistently huge portions, fresh-baked bread or dinner rolls, and always at least two kinds of desserts, sometimes three. FML.
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Weekends are bad for me because I like to have a few beers. The calories add up so quickly!