core exercises that can be done standing?

Options
Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking and reading here for a year but rarely post, i'm very close to 100lbs lost. (my goal is somewhere close to 125lbs lost with a waist of 35" or less) I started out with a waist measuring 52" and for months i've been stuck at a 41" waist.

A little background--> I was diagnosed with a rare disease at 17yrs old and told that the medicines they needed to put me on would prevent me from having kids. So my husband and i decided to delay medicine for 4-5yrs (i was in denial) and then we had 4 kids in 33months. (go big or go home! we wanted a big family) All my kids (including a set of big twins) were born via c-section. While pregnant with the twins, my hips separated. So, i can imagine the muscles in my stomach area are in pretty bad shape. Basically, my core muscles are as weak as a kitten. Add to that that i have alot of pain in my back. (they probably go hand in hand)

How should i proceed with strengthening my core and shrinking my waist into that healthy 35" or less? Can anyone suggest core exercises that i could do standing? Laying on my back is painful. I can do crunches but they hurt and because of that i don't think i'll ever see any results doing 6-8 at a time.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Standing alternate knee raises (use a wall for balance).
    Standing elbow to opposite knee crunch
    Standing elbow to same knee side crunch
    Standing single leg L holds

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Wysteriajo
    Wysteriajo Posts: 14
    Options
    YOGA. Not the bendy scary upside-down kind, but the listening-to-your-body, all-your-muscles-work-together kind. This little video is a sequence for core strength that you don't even move (outside) in. http://www.doyouyoga.com/how-to-strengthen-your-mind-and-build-core-strength-with-bandhas/
    "Lilias" (an old-time TV yoga teacher) is also a really good beginner series.
    Good luck!
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

OK so since I have my own medical reason why I need to do workouts while standing and/or not lifting my head (no sit ups allowed) how many of these reps should you do - like to start out then work up to or whatever?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    How about standing mountain climber? It is a little higher impact, not sure if that would be ok.

Can you do planks? They are on the ground but you wouldn't be on your back, more your forearms/shoulders. There are about a trillion plank and side plank variations.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

OK so since I have my own medical reason why I need to do workouts while standing and/or not lifting my head (no sit ups allowed) how many of these reps should you do - like to start out then work up to or whatever?
    There are no set repetitions. If you want to shoot for a number, start with 10 on each side for at least one set then increase from there as you get more efficient and stronger.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I have promised myself that when i reach 100lbs lost i will pay for a personal trainer as a reward. (my husband just graduated and money is tight for us right now) Hopefully he/she can set me up with a routine for my core strength. For the time being, i appreciate your suggestions :) I'm off to google/utube land to find out what some of these exercises are and to figure out form ect. I do great with cardio equipment, just jump on and go. But i'm slowly coming to the realization that i need to start changing my cardio/weight machine routine to free weights/body weigh exercises. Thanks again!!!
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

There are no set repetitions. If you want to shoot for a number, start with 10 on each side for at least one set then increase from there as you get more efficient and stronger.

IDEA Fitness member

Ok thank you!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Would you be able to do some standing kettlebells swings? They are great for core but I'm not sure if your back would hurt while doing them.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    From your comment "laying on your back isnt an option" , is a plank okay for your position, if that is doable ....plank
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    single leg squat and reach
    Standing torso twists/wood chopper--can be done with various types of resistance.
    Pallof press
    Torso twist in 1/2 kneel position

IMO, standing exercises are the best way train the core anyhow.
  • debliskirs
    Options
    Can I just say that I think you are brilliant to have lost all that weight. Well done.
  • Kelly1552013
    Kelly1552013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    adding this in so I can google how to do these when I'm not on a company computer!
  • AileenElizaFitz
    AileenElizaFitz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
  • luvforever
    luvforever Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat, for different reasons. I appreciate you asking this question and I love all of the suggestions!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    pool exercises help with taking the strain off your back. also walking too., I think its helping me to always be focusing on my core no matter what activity I am doing.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    THere are sooooo many.

Let's start with holding a solid core whenever you stand, sit, walk, don't let your stuff just hang like you have no control over it. Take Control!!!

Remembering to use your core every time you do something, like even lifting up a folding chair from a stack of chairs, to moving your laundry bag from the bed to the floor. Every time you do anythign that requires the least bit of resistnce, engage the core.

Twisting punches, chopping motions, imitating pulling a motorboat cable (use the stretchy bands), the list goes on....