Quick and Easy high protein breakfast ideas

Options
Hi! Need ideas for more protein at breakfast and dinner. I am a type 2 diabetic and have to limit carbs. TYIA!

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,420 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt, eggs, chicken breast, nuts
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I just started doing Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt .. its not as "tart" as some of the others and Nature Valley Granola Protein mixed in it. If I have them .. I throw in some fruit. I do a 1/3 cup of the granola and it gives me 20g of protein for breakfast! Pretty awesome I think .. and it keeps me full till lunch .. which is important to me.
  • galaxylynx
    galaxylynx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For breakfast - Seconding plain greek yogurt! add fruit if you need to, but obv not too much. Hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs with hot sauce, poached eggs on steamed spinach. Some people bake eggs in half an avocado, I've never managed to make that work :P
    If you make a salad for dinner, add beans or shelled edamame.
    Salmon and tuna have lots of protein - I usually get the packet skinless/boneless salmon and put it in a low carb wrap. (Adding a spoonful of greek yogurt with dill instead of mayo makes it a lot tastier).
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I make mini quiches in muffin cups, no crust. Eggs or just egg whites, cheese, spinach or other veg you like, sometimes quinoa or faro. Great protein, not hard to make. I make a batch ahead and nuke @ 20 seconds when I get to work.
  • mikesgram1
    mikesgram1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Would that be sold near the granola bars at a regular grocery store? Great idea!:smooched:
  • mikesgram1
    mikesgram1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thoise are super ideas. Can I use a flavored greek yogurt?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a vegetable omelet for breakfast with two eggs, and want more protein than that to help meet my daily goal, so what I tend to do is some combination of the following: (1) add some egg whites to the eggs, (2) have some leftover protein from dinner or smoked salmon with the omelet, and/or (3) have some cottage cheese or Fage 0% plain on the side. I usually mix the Fage with fruit, and you could do 2% or some flavored greek yogurt also, the Fage 0% plus fruit just tends to be what works for me bc of my macros and what else I eat.

Sometimes I have steel cut oats instead of the eggs (which also has protein, just not quite as much) and the rest remains the same (except I never add egg whites to the oatmeal!).

For dinner, I either add some kind of dairy as a side (dairy is my protein go to) or have a larger portion of meat and slightly smaller portion of starch if I need to compensate. I usually have no problem getting lots of protein at dinner, though--it's lunch where I've had to make sure that I'm getting enough or else compensate with the other meals (if I snacked more often I'd just have greek yogurt for that, probably).
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    What I tend to do is cook up a kind of hash over the weekend. Currently I'm using 96% lean ground beef mixed with some of those pre-cut "Potatoes O'Brien" from the freezer section of the grocery store (I don't know how this will work with your dietary limitations). Then, I portion that out into 5 containers.

Each morning, I put one of the containers in the microwave for about 4 minutes and, while that's going, cook up some eggs in the good ol' cast iron skillet.

With 3 eggs, 3 oz of the Potatoes O'Brien (Lynden Farms brand), and 136 g of the beef (1/3 of a pound) in each portion, it works out to about 500 calories, 20 g of carbs, and 49 g of protein.

It's not very fancy, but it's something I can actually do while getting dressed (the laundry closet's in my kitchen, so I just put out my clothes for the next day in there the night before). .
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I make mini quiches in muffin cups, no crust. Eggs or just egg whites, cheese, spinach or other veg you like, sometimes quinoa or faro. Great protein, not hard to make. I make a batch ahead and nuke @ 20 seconds when I get to work.

Oh wow! That is such a great idea!!
  • Makhai_
    Makhai_ Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with protein powder of your choice, protein shake, oatmeal with eggs, fruit with nut butter of your choice, protein pancakes/waffles, jok (rice porridge), cottage cheese, egg whites, just to name a few.............
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm a T2D too. My breakfast most mornings is 227g plain non-fat greek yogurt mixed with a scoop of flavored protein powder and da vinci sugar free syrup flavor to complement the protein powder. That's about 48g of protein for about 240 calories depending on your yogurt and protein powder. Since I aim for a few more carbs and calories I also usually put in about 30 calories worth of fruit like blue berries or strawberries and 15g of fiber one cereal. Adds up to about 300 calories, 49g protein, 34 carbs, 2 fat, 8 fiber.

It keeps me full until lunch time.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Fage greek yogurt is the best ever.... along with some berries or nuts.. and a sprinkle of coconut flakes... I also love my Click Espresso protein shakes.. energy and protein all in one.
  • Fieryblaze
    Fieryblaze Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy (just 4 months ago) and my husband is diabetic. Here's what worked for me and works for him:

high protein smoothies (1 cup Danon Light & Fit Greek yogurt in vanilla, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 2 tbsp soy isolate protein powder, and up to 2 tbsp milk, preferably Mootopia brand, if needed)
    hard boiled eggs
    eggs scrambled with spinach and cheese wrapped in a carb control tortilla from Mission
    over hard eggs with a slice of cheese made into a sandwich on two slices of 100% whole wheat bread (Sara Lee has a 45 calorie bread that is 20 g of carbs for two slices)
    salads with grilled chicken breast
    any sandwich you like made into a wrap with the Flat Out wraps and plenty of veggies
    Special K or Kellogs protein drinks (found on the cereal aisle)
    Nature Valley Protein granola bars (found with the other granola bars at the store)

Yes, you can use flavored Greek yogurt, but try to stick with the Danon Light & Fit because they have 12g of protein but only 8 to 9g of carbs.

Remember, anything you like can be breakfast or dinner. There were times when I really wanted oatmeal or pancakes and I had them with protein for dinner since I couldn't have them at breakfast due to the carb content being higher and spiking my blood sugar. It's what worked for me.
  • japaneseboy
    japaneseboy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    my breakfast lately is this:

kcal 991
    carbs 79
    fat 36
    protein 83
    fiber 19
    sugar 9

consisting of 3 slices of whole-grain bread with cottage cheese and tuna/turkey plus cucumber and tomatoes. 2 eggs as "dessert".
    our store also has "protein bread" which could bump up that 83 to at least 93, not quite sure exactly.
  • joshcb15n
    joshcb15n Posts: 17
    Options
    I like a light cheese stick. If I feel like adding a bit more I add a bit of lean deli meat.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Would that be sold near the granola bars at a regular grocery store? Great idea!:smooched:

In Tops .. the grocery store where I shop .. they have it with the cereal. It is next to the Kashi cereals. Its in a zip lock bag type thing .. lol
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    save to read for later
  • Blair2374
    Blair2374 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    my breakfast lately is this:

kcal 991
    carbs 79
    fat 36
    protein 83
    fiber 19
    sugar 9

consisting of 3 slices of whole-grain bread with cottage cheese and tuna/turkey plus cucumber and tomatoes. 2 eggs as "dessert".
    our store also has "protein bread" which could bump up that 83 to at least 93, not quite sure exactly.

Woo 991 Kcal on breakfast alone, that's nearly my daily allowance!!