How bad is a daily bagel with cream cheese

Options
I want to eat one bagel with cream cheese a day. For breakfast I have a slim fast shake, lunch I have grilled tilapia and spinach with a fruit salad. And for dinner I have a bagel with cream cheese and coffee. Am I sabotaging my weight loss by eating the bagel? I read somewhere that bagels have 700 calories in it. I don't know how true this is because my fitness pal says that a bagel is only 230 calories.

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It depends on the bagel. Some of them are huge and are several hundred calories and some are smaller and fewer calories.
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Check the nutritional info on the bag of bagels that you intend to use. That will give you the calorie content.

If a bagel with cream cheese fits into your daily goal then by all means eat one per day. But would you not rather have some variety in your food? That said, I've eaten the same thing for lunch for a while now (until today as I think I've finally sickened myself of it!) so who am I to judge.

Can I ask what your daily calorie goal is?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    230 is a lot closer to the bagels I've eaten. I think they are 210.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Weigh your bagel. Weigh your cream cheese.

They can easily be giant calorie bombs, and they are nutritionally sparse.

Delicious, though :)
  • stepmark1
    stepmark1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Depends on the cream cheese :) errr...how much of it you use :) Or depends on how willing you are to exercise for one said bagel and cream cheese....
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    The bagel & cream cheese in and of itself is not good or bad. The question is: how well will it fit into your plan?

If you can work it into your plan without feeling like it's too many calories, and if it makes you feel full long enough, go for it. If you want it for an occasional treat - maybe a way to make you look forward to Mondays or Wednesday, scale back and have it just once or twice a week instead of every day.

"Oh goodie, today is BAGEL DAY!" makes it a treat to look forward to rather than something "bad" to avoid. Make sense? Just figure out the exact calories for it and the cream cheese and be sure to log it.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Check the nutritional info on the bag of bagels that you intend to use. That will give you the calorie content.

If a bagel with cream cheese fits into your daily goal then by all means eat one per day. But would you not rather have some variety in your food? That said, I've eaten the same thing for lunch for a while now (until today as I think I've finally sickened myself of it!) so who am I to judge.

I get the bagels from the bagel store in my neighborhood. So I don't have the nutritional information available.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Good, this is something I have experience with.

A bagel a day with cream cheese, even if it's scooped, is still responsible for approximately 25 lbs in a year. If it fits in your macros, try it, but I am living proof that it's not a very good idea for maintenance if you are trying to lose. Ok, there are the tiny bagels made by Thomas' and that may be a better deal, but I like the "real bagels."

We have the best bagels in the world (New York) and when I started working at my job, I was at least 25 lbs less. I have been eating a bagel a day for about two years. I'm working on trying to have it once a week but it's hard.

Even if it's pumpernickel or whole wheat, it's still heavy. Like I said, if it fits your macros and you're already on the path to awesome fit monster, I say go for it, but it not, be careful.
  • ValGogo
    Options

I get the bagels from the bagel store in my neighborhood. So I don't have the nutritional information available.

See, someone who knows......bagels are never bought in packages, only in the corner bakery.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Depends on the cream cheese :) errr...how much of it you use :) Or depends on how willing you are to exercise for one said bagel and cream cheese....

Nope, the cream cheese is not the bad part. Don't get it twisted.
  • emmaxbon
    Options

A bagel store?! Living in Northern Ireland, this is something I've never seen or heard of. Here, we only have bagels in packaging :(
  • emmaxbon
    Options
    I really want a toasted bagel with cream cheese and bacon now....
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Fresh bagels = love.

I'm just curious why you have this as your evening meal. Coffee in the evening would probably have me awake for hours, unless that's the point...
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Bagels, I just avoid them completely, not worth the hassle-- compared to chicken breast (tenderloins), you'd have to eat more than 224 grams (half a pound) to break 200 calories..
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I really want a toasted bagel with cream cheese and bacon now....

The temptation!
  • mandos_13
    mandos_13 Posts: 21
    Options

I would find a bagel entry in the MFP database that closely mirrors the type (plain white, whole wheat, etc.) that you get from your store, and then weigh the bagel and enter by weight.

And as others have said, if it fits in your daily calorie/macro goals, by all means eat the bagel. But I highly recommend weighing both the bagel and cream cheese, so you can count the calories as accurately as possible.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

The bagel store knows the calories in their bagels. Ask them. If they won't tell you, ask them to weigh it for you (they have scales if they're baking anything onsite). If they won't do THAT either, then I wouldn't trust their food.

Big bagels are about 400 calories. Smaller bagels are about 250. (edit to add: that's calories without cream cheese)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    look for a bagel that has lower calories, use low fat or no fat cream cheese, log it and enjoy.
  • biscuit71
    biscuit71 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I buy the bagel thins.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If it fits your goals, I don't see why you shouldn't have it. I count a "scooped" bagel from my local spot as 180 calories based on the size/amount they scoop out. One of the problems with bagels is that you can never really be sure of the calorie content from a mom&pop establishment.